Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Recruits encouraged to understand, embrace diversity

Sounds mostly like crap to me. A policeman's job is to make people feel "comfortable" and understand cultural differences among the tribes of humanity so he knows how to speak better to people. Policing is all about getting stakeholders in the community to the table. Hey, Frederick!!! Police work is NOT social work. Why don't you just disband your police force and hire a bunch of diversity minded social workers for chrissakes!!! This is further proof that liberalism is a mental disease!

Recruits encouraged to understand, embrace diversity
    Originally published January 01, 2008
    By Marge Neal
    News-Post Staff

Guy Djoken, president of the Frederick County branch of the NAACP, addresses officers at the Frederick Police Department’s Charles V. Main Training Center on Monday.

Community policing is "all about partnering with the entire community, getting stakeholders to the table to address issues," Frederick Police Chief Kim Dine said Monday.
    That philosophy was in evidence when Guy Djoken, president of the Frederick County chapter of the NAACP, addressed police recruits at the Frederick Police Department's Charles V. Main Training Center.

Djoken implored recruits to gain a working knowledge of cultural differences. Such an effort will help earn trust, he said, which will help the officers-to-be in the long run.

"Your job is to make people feel comfortable," he said. "If you build a sense of trust before something happens, then it's easier on everybody when something does happen."

Djoken, a native of Cameroon in Central Africa, has been in the U.S. about 10 years, he told the recruits.

He spoke with an accent that thickened as his fervor grew.

"I invite you to really take the notion of diversity to heart. Get to know where people are coming from, what they're about."

When called to the home of a man and woman, he said, an officer who knows a little about cultural traditions would be more likely, out of respect for personal beliefs and practices, to speak to the man and not the woman if that is their tradition.

"Knowing these little differences can help you when you graduate from this class."

Immigration is an emotional topic in Frederick, Djoken said.

"The law is tricky and delicate. Some people might not have documentation but you have to provide them with security because that's the law.

"You have to protect every single person, no matter where they come from, no matter how funny their voice."

The NAACP president said his organization did not have a good working relationship with Dine's predecessor. He praised the current chief's efforts to build relationships and to make all citizens feel they have a voice.

He praised the Police Athletic League, a recreation program for at-risk youths, and told the officers they have a chance to turn children around, to play a part in them becoming accomplished citizens.

"One person can make a difference," he said. "Keep that in mind in everything you do."

Both Dine and Djoken emphasized building partnerships in the community and treating people well.

"It's all about treating all people with dignity and respect, and, conversely, never taking dignity and respect away from anyone," Dine said.

Noting that police aren't at the top of the call list when a resident wants to brag about a new house, job or baby, the chief said, "When people call us they have a problem -- and their experience with us, good or bad, will stay with them for a lifetime."

Djoken reminded the students that some immigrants in Frederick come from countries where interaction with police is perceived as a death warrant.

"It's all about building relationships, building partnerships, building trust."

The Frederick Police Department, which will celebrate its 150th anniversary this year, is one of the most diverse departments in local government, Dine said. While he didn't have an ethnic breakdown on the spot, he said the 145-member staff is aware of and sensitive to the cultural differences of the community they're sworn to protect.
    http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sectio ... ryID=69457
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Good God Almighty, Is this garbage EVER going to STOP?!?!?

"The law is tricky and delicate. Some people might not have documentation but you have to provide them with security because that's the law.
    'You' have to follow the law but obviously 'they' don't! What is tricky about the law? The trick is the garbageload of brainwashing from this 'person'. Sabotage and criminal cunning is passed off as good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Sounds mostly like crap to me.
    It's this kind of crap that adds to the pile (excuse the pun).
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Oh, so now cops are supposed to be all warm and fuzzy with anybody who falls into the category of "diverse" (i.e., non-white)? What nonsense.

A criminal is a criminal is a criminal, regardless of their race, religion or culture.

And all criminals should be treated equally. LIKE CRIMINALS.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

By all means....let's start softening up our law enforcement officers! God forbid that they instill any fear in the hearts and souls of illegal alien criminals who are breaking our laws! Gotta make them feel good about themselves and their criminal activities!

We have to respect their cultures...whether it's beheading your enemies or having incestual relations with your children. Driving drunk in Mexico is not considered a crime so why should we punish them for killing Americans? Rape is considered part of the 'courting' process in Mexico...so why should we arrest rapists?

I just noticed that every single new recruit at the WLA police dept. is hispanic! Not one white guy! I hope I never have the need to call 911!

They're getting paid to enforce the law, not to go to someone's house and have a tea party!!
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If anyone would care to send the Frederick Police Chief, Kim C. Dine a little note as to what you think of his "touchy, feely, hugging" approach to law enforcement, here is his e-mail address:
    kdine@fredco-md.net

Here's the web page for contact information on the entire department:
    http://www.cityoffrederick.com/departme ... ontact.htm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    If anyone would care to send the Frederick Police Chief, Kim C. Dine a little note as to what you think of his "touch, feely, hugging" approach to law enforcement, here is his e-mail address:
    kdine@fredco-md.net

Here's the web page for contact information on the entire department:
    http://www.cityoffrederick.com/departme ... ontact.htm
    I like to send him one or two
    thanks

"When called to the home of a man and woman, he said, an officer who knows a little about cultural traditions would be more likely, out of respect for personal beliefs and practices, to speak to the man and not the woman if that is their tradition.

"Knowing these little differences can help you when you graduate from this class."

And what are the chances that the police are there because of something the man did? Now we get to "silence" the women while conducting a police investigation. Never mind we are in America - our "customs" of hearing from everyone are moot!! Outrageous! I didn't turn in a child molester because I sensed that everyone cared more about the "man of the house" than children, and I didn't want him hunting me down. I was told that he is the "breadwinner' so we have to be careful not to hurt the family's finances.

Grow up people!! This is our country. Maybe the cultural tradition to speak to men only has a lot to do with it being a war zone and why so many people want to leave THERE and come HERE.

Why should police recruits be required to learn about diversity and the cultural habits of immigrants so as to not offend them when the recruits time should be spent in learning how to protect the citizens of their community?I mean, how weird is it that police recruits should be expected to know all about diversity and the cultural habits of immigrants,when it would be much simpler to expect the new immigrants to respect and obey the laws of this country and learn the cultural habits of these United States?When can we expect new immigrants to conform to our standards instead of expecting our public servents to conform to theirs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast