Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Report: Trump to Nominate Democrat Heidi Heitkamp to Agriculture Secretary

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Report: Trump to Nominate Democrat Heidi Heitkamp to Agriculture Secretary

Report: Trump to Nominate Democrat Heidi Heitkamp to Agriculture Secretary

Todd Beamon December 10, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump is expected to name North Dakota Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp Agriculture Secretary, according to news reports.

If she accepts the post, Politico reports, the Democrats could lose Heitkamp's seat to a Republican in a special election.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky met Tuesday with GOP Rep. Kevin Cramer, who has said he would challenge Heitkamp in 2018, The Hill

Trump has been considering Heitkamp for Agriculture or Energy secretary, according to Politico.
    They met at Trump Tower in New York earlier this month.

http://www.newsmax.com/politics/donald-trump-heidi-heitkamp-agriculture/2016/12/10/id/763299/

Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She has an F- Grade from NumbersUSA.
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yikes!! All the more reason to get her out of the US Senate!! I don't know anything about her. I'll have to research her.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    And the hits just keep coming .........

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Heidi Heitkamp's Donald Trump meeting sets off alarm bells for Democrats

By Tal Kopan, Manu Raju and Jim Acosta, CNN
    Updated 4:08 PM ET, Thu December 1, 2016

Washington (CNN)President-elect Donald Trump is set to meet Friday with North Dakota Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, a red-state Democrat, which could put Senate Democrats at a further disadvantage if she were to join the Trump administration.

Heitkamp told CNN Thursday she has no inkling of what the meeting may be about, but said she was open to discussing serving in a Trump administration.

News of the meeting set off a panic among top Democrats, some of whom began to privately make the case that Heitkamp should stay in the Senate rather than give up a seat that would likely be a GOP pickup. The incoming chairman of the Senate Democrats' campaign committee told CNN he had spoken with Heitkamp about the issue Thursday.

A transition source said Heitkamp could be a possibility for energy secretary.

"I think it's absolutely critical to have a conversation," Heitkamp said when asked if she would be open to being in the Trump administration. "It's good for my state. It's good for the work that I do here, to understand and share some priorities for the country and for the state of North Dakota and I look forward to having that discussion."

In a statement about the meeting, Heitkamp said she would work with both sides of the aisle -- whatever her role.

"Whatever job I do, I hope to work with the President-elect and all of my colleagues in Congress on both sides of the aisle to best support my state," she said.

Who will be in Donald Trump's Cabinet?

While any position is far from a done deal, having Heitkamp in the Cabinet would be a double win for Republicans, and a blow to Democrats.

Heitkamp comes from a heavily red state, and is one of the more vulnerable senators up for re-election in 2018. But defeating an incumbent is usually a tricky proposition, meaning an open seat in North Dakota would give Republicans a much better chance of adding to their majority in the Senate.

"Obviously incumbents have an advantage over challengers," said Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, who will chair the National Republican Senatorial Committee next year, when asked about the Heitkamp news.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, the incoming Senate minority leader, could have the most to lose if Heitkamp left the chamber. Asked if he had any concerns, Schumer said: "No comment."
    Senior aides said Thursday the pressure campaign would intensify if a possible Trump appointment looked real.

Rep. Chris Van Hollen, the soon-to-be Maryland senator who will chair the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in the next cycle, told CNN he spoke to Heitkamp about the matter.
    "I told her exactly that: I'm sure she'll do what's right for the people of North Dakota," Van Hollen said.

The appointment would also give the Trump administration a token opposition member -- a conventional move for presidents.

If she were to leave the Senate, it would immediately give Democrats one less member in the minority. Though they would be in the minority regardless, the balance of power is expected to be 52-48 after the Louisiana Senate runoff election, and every vote lost would make it harder for Democrats to peel off Republicans to oppose Trump's policies.

Though North Dakota is one of a handful of states that does not allow the governor to appoint a successor, a special election would heavily favor Republicans, as the state is strongly Republican and Democrats do not have a deep bench of politicians in the state.

Her departure would also be a further blow to Democrats' hopes of retaking the majority in 2018 -- already a long shot. Democrats will have to defend multiple red state seats in 2018 and Republicans have very few vulnerable senators up for re-election that year.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/01/politi...ing/index.html

I hate to see another illegal immigrant amnesty supporter on the Trump cabinet, but at least her appointment wouldn't be a complete bust.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I read the comments from you, Judy and from you, MW. I just laughed because I don't know how to spin this. I read a little about her and being that she is a democrat she has supported policies of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

I also don't see how she can agree with the vision of Donald Trump but politicians seem to flip flop when necessary. This may be to get her out of the Senate as stated, push for a Republican replacement and have a democrat in the cabinet.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 12-11-2016 at 12:48 AM.

I read the CNN piece you provided MW.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I read the comments from you, Judy and from you, MW. I just laughed because I don't know how to spin this. I read a little about her and being that she is a democrat she has supported policies of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

I also don't see how she can agree with the vision of Donald Trump but politicians seem to flip flop when necessary. This may be to get her out of the Senate as stated, push for a Republican replacement and have a democrat in the cabinet.
    I've been so worried lately that I'm just trying to find a bright spot wherever I can. Her accepting a cabinet position in the Trump administration means one less Democrat Trump will have to contend with in the U.S. Senate. That seat will more than likely go to a Republican through a special election.

Lately I've had to take little rays of sunshine wherever I can find them.

I'm still in such a daze over the Pudzer choice that this almost seems like small beans.
    Last edited by MW; 12-11-2016 at 12:58 AM.

This report may be wrong. She has not been announced and is getting pressure from Democrats. We thought Rudy or Mitt may be Secretary of State and neither one are today.

I think this is a game of chess for Donald Trump. He strategizes and sees and knows things we do not. He is putting pieces in place for now and can change pieces when needed to achieve the goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast