Reports Allege Megan Kelly Looking To Flee Fox For A New Network

"I'm seriously considering ..."

December 10, 2016 at 12:00pm

December 10, 2016 at 12:00pm

Speculation has emerged that Fox News host Megyn Kelly, whose contract with Fox ends in July, is considering offers from ABC and NBC as well as CNN.

A story in Vanity Fair suggests the issue is not only dollars, but also a sense that Kelly might wish to move on from a network where she has made waves as well as headlines. Kelly currently makes $20 million at Fox.

The Vanity Fair story, heavily drawing from unnamed sources, suggests Kelly is currently talking with NBC and that ABC has upped an initial offer. However, an ABC spokesman is quoted as pouring official cold water on rumors Kelly might join ABC.

“As much as we appreciate and admire Megyn Kelly’s talents, this is simply not true. There has never been an offer of any job, and therefore there is nothing that could be sweetened. End of story,” the spokesperson said.

Last week, as rumors of a possible flight to CNN emerged, Kelly made her own pronouncement.

Megyn Kelly @megynkelly

Many reporters are writing articles about me and my future at Fox. Don't believe a thing u hear unless it comes from me, period.
6:33 PM - 2 Dec 2016

“Many reporters are writing articles about me and my future at Fox. Don’t believe a thing u hear unless it comes from me, period,” she tweeted.
Kelly’s other comments about her future have also been vague.

“I’m seriously considering my future and I do feel very grateful that I have a spot at Fox News. I really have respect for the Murdochs. I haven’t known them very well but I’ve come to know them and so far I like everything I’ve seen. So the thought of working for them is very alluring. But I have to figure this one out and give it all the consideration it deserves …” she said in an Adweek interview.

However, a Kelly spokesperson noted the Fox star has options.

“People can parse language any way they want,” said Leslee Dart. “The fact of the matter is that fortunately Megyn Kelly has been presented with more opportunities than ever before. She is incredibly grateful and is taking the time she needs to make this important decision for her family and her career.”

The Vanity Fair story suggests tensions within Fox could play a role in Kelly’s decision. It claims that Kelly is referred to as “Me-again” by some because of her book tour and promotional events that have her appearing everywhere.

Some pieces of the internal differences have made themselves public, in the form of comments from Fox host Bill O’Reilly that he did not appreciate Kelly making Fox look bad by her discussion of the sexual harassment allegations against former Fox CEO Roger Ailes.

Vanity Fair’s Sarah Ellison
depicted the changing tensions within Fox in the wake of President-elect Donald Trump’s election this way: “Kelly was facing a new reality, especially among her competitive colleagues. Old White Men were resurgent, not just in the presidential election, but also inside Fox News. O’Reilly was newly valuable as a Trump tough guy. Hannity, a major Trump supporter, suddenly appeared indispensable. Inside Fox News, the long knives appeared to be out for Me-again.”

http://www.westernjournalism.com/rep...x-new-network/