Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Republican Rep. Joe Heck of Nevada enters race for US Senate seat vacated by Reid

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Don't forget that the voters who keep electing the same politicians share in the blame for everything they do.
    You can believe that for the past quarter century I have not forgotten.

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    So which of the 14 GOP 2016 candidates for president will go on national TV right now and clearly state the they oppose any type of Path To Citizenship or other Legal Status for any illegal alien now or in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    . . . To my knowledge, in the recent past, only Santorum and Walker have made such a comment publicly. . .
    So, 2 OF 14.

Sounds like most candidate REPUBLICANS TO PUSH AMNESTY (Just like Obama)
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ex-AG Cortez Masto announces run for Reid’s U.S. Senate seat

Catherine Cortez Masto in Las Vegas Thursday, May 29, 2014. (Erik Verduzco/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    Catherine Cortez Masto appears at the Board of Regents meeting on Tuesday. (David Becker/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

By LAURA MYERS
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Former Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto on Wednesday launched her campaign for U.S. Sen. Harry Reid’s seat in 2016 and immediately was endorsed by the Democratic Party hierarchy from Nevada to the nation’s capital.

“We got our wish,” Reid, D-Nev., said of his top choice to succeed him, casting her as a historical pick as the first Latina to serve in the U.S. Senate if she wins. She also would be Nevada’s first female senator.

Reid first backed the fellow Democrat when he announced March 27 that he would retire rather than run for a sixth term. Hours after she announced her plans Wednesday, Reid emailed supporters to tout her and ask for campaign contributions.

“I am proud to endorse her,” Reid said. “She’s spent a lifetime fighting to protect Nevada families. And I know she will continue that work in the Senate. … Let’s make sure she gets off to a strong start. Make a contribution now.”

Cortez Masto, 50, made her announcement in an email to supporters.

“I’ve spent my life and career fighting to protect the families of Nevada,” said Cortez Masto, who was the first Latina attorney general in Nevada. “I’m running for the Senate to continue my work standing up for Nevada seniors, consumers, homeowners, women and children.”

In her announcement, Cortez Masto highlighted her achievements during her two four-year terms as attorney general.

“I stood up to special interests and fought for consumers in Nevada,” she said. “I worked with local law enforcement to crack down on meth labs to help combat our state’s growing drug problem, protected domestic abuse victims and children preyed upon by sex traffickers, and looked out for seniors who have been cheated by scam artists.”

Cortez Masto is well-known in Southern Nevada, where her late father, Manny Cortez, headed the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority for years, making the gaming city a tourist mecca.

Preparing for the race, Cortez Masto on Tuesday evening tendered her resignation from the Nevada System of Higher Education, where she was executive vice chancellor.

With Reid’s backing and his fundraising and political machine behind her, Cortez Masto is the favorite to win the Senate seat, although she is expected to face heavy competition from Republicans and outside interests in the general election.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee said Cortez Masto is vulnerable and the GOP is targeting her for defeat.

“Despite being Harry Reid’s handpicked candidate, Catherine Cortez Masto will quickly learn that running for Senate is no picnic,” committee spokesman Jahan Wilcox said. “Nevada was a top pickup opportunity for Republicans before Reid threw in the towel and his handpicked liberal candidate jumping in the race does nothing to change that.”

The GOP primary could get messy, however, with the eventual nominee wounded by the infighting.

That could be avoided if Republicans can persuade Gov. Brian Sandoval to run for the Senate, a move that could clear the field. He is expected to face growing pressure to run because the popular Hispanic leader is seen as the best chance for the GOP to win the seat and help the party maintain control of the Senate. Sandoval has expressed no interest in Reid’s seat, however, and has said he wants to complete his second four-year term as governor.

U.S. Rep Joe Heck, R-Nev., also will face more pressure to run, although he has said he wants to stay in the House.

Other possible GOP contenders include former Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki, Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison, Nevada Senate Majority Leader Michael Roberson of Las Vegas and Attorney General Adam Laxalt. Las Vegas City Councilman Bob Beers is the only declared GOP Senate candidate and has been running a low-key campaign for months.

“I think without a Sandoval or a Heck, it’s going to be tough for any Republican,” said David Damore, a political science professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Justin Barasky, a spokesman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, said he expects a crowd of Republicans to get into the race, possibly including former also-rans such as Danny Tarkanian and Sharron Angle, who both ran in 2010.

“It’s going to be a food fight on the Republican side,” Barasky said with some glee.

He expressed confidence Cortez Masto will win the race but added, “We don’t expect a cakewalk.” Stakes high, the contest probably will be costly with lots of outside money coming into Nevada to sway the election, he said.

In 2010, Reid and his GOP foe, Angle, each spent more than $25 million. And outside groups matched that.

In the end, Barasky said the Democrats are confident they can hold Reid’s seat in what will be one of the two most competitive Senate races in 2016 for Democrats. The other is Colorado. Republicans, meanwhile, are defending at least 10 competitive seats and have a greater risk of losing majority control of the Senate in 2016.

Sen. Jon Tester of Montana, chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, which endorsed Cortez Masto, called her “the strongest candidate to keep this Senate seat in Democratic hands and continue Harry Reid’s legacy of fighting for Nevada’s best interests.”

But Cortez Masto has never had a difficult race while twice running statewide for attorney general.

She also could face a contested Democratic primary, although Reid is working behind the scenes to avoid that.

U.S. Rep. Dina Titus, D-Nev., is still considering running for the Senate and would be Cortez Masto’s strongest primary challenger. Titus didn’t endorse Cortez Masto on Wednesday as other Democrats did.

Titus’ office said the statement she put out the day Reid said he would retire stands. She said: “I am humbled by the calls I’ve received from supporters across the state encouraging me to run for Senate. This is a decision I will make carefully after talking with family and close friends to ensure it is in the best interest of District One and the people of Nevada.”

In 2012, Titus defied Reid and ran for the 1st Congressional District although Reid had backed state Sen. Ruben Kihuen. In the end, Kihuen dropped out of the race after Titus released a poll showing she would defeat him in the primary. Titus easily won and then was re-elected in 2014 in the safe Democratic district that covers urban Las Vegas.

Other potential Democratic contenders for the Senate swiftly backed Cortez Masto, including former Treasurer Kate Marshall and former Secretary of State Ross Miller.

“I’m proud to support my friend Catherine Cortez Masto in her bid for US Senate,” Miller tweeted.

Marshall piled on, tweeting, “I am excited &honored to support my friend Catherine Cortez Masto for #NV US Senate.”

Review-Journal Washington Bureau Chief Steve Tetreault contributed to this report. Contact Laura Myers at lmyers@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2919. Find her on Twitter: @lmyerslvrj

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politic...us-senate-seat

NO AMNESTY

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    So which of the 14 GOP 2016 candidates for president will go on national TV right now and clearly state the they oppose any type of Path To Citizenship or other Legal Status for any illegal alien now or in the future?

So, 2 OF 14.

Sounds like most candidate REPUBLICANS TO PUSH AMNESTY (Just like Obama)
    Excuse me, I forgot about Cruz. While he says he doesn't support amnesty, he does support the tripling of legal immigration through more visas, including work visas.

I don't think most Republican candidates are actually pushing for it. However, it is accurate to say most would eventually support it because they have admitted as much. With that said though, a Democrat, Hillary, said she'll go beyond what Obama has achieved and/or tried to achieve. With all that said and done, I can only support Walker or Santorum right now. If either of those guys come out in the future and say they'll support a path to legalization for illegals, my very limited choices will drop to zero choices. Of course if that happens, I may have to do like millions of Americans do every election cycle and hold my nose to choose from the evils available. I refuse to stand on the sidelines and not vote. That is why it is important that we all come together during the primaries to help put someone of our choice in a position to win. Can you even imagine what a nightmare it would be to end up with a choice between Hillary and Bush? Remember when McCain won the Republican nomination in 2008? I still haven't figured out how that happened! During that election cycle I supported Rep. Duncan Hunter but he never made it through the primaries because the American public refused to see what open borders and illegal immigration was doing to our country.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Excuse me, I forgot about Cruz. . .
    I try to forget about Cruz too.
    NO AMNESTY

Republican Rep. Joe Heck of Nevada enters race for US Senate seat being vacated by Harry Reid

Ex-AG Cortez Masto announces run for Reid’s U.S. Senate seat

I don't live in Nevada so I don't have to vote for either of them.
    NO AMNESTY

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123