Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Response from Crapo

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the immigration reform and border security legislation considered by the United States Senate. I agree with you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Rarely does an issue invoke more interest from so many Idahoans and people across the nation than the issue of immigration reform and border security.

The system we have needs to be fixed, and I was encouraged by initial reports of the border security and immigration reform agreement that included a number of positive steps. However, the proposed solution was flawed. Although the bill contained some very good provisions, particularly in terms of border control, it would have created a separate category providing permanent legal residency for the millions of individuals who have entered the country illegally. I continue to believe a person should not gain an advantage or benefit toward citizenship or legal permanent resident status as a result of illegal entry into the U.S. This only encourages further illegal immigration.

There were other flaws with the legislation. For example, the permanent legal residency for the approximate twelve million illegal immigrants in the United States would have been granted prior to ensuring that our nation's borders were secure. Further, it failed to address the healthcare costs and tax ramifications of those legalized through the bill, provided legalization before background checks were completed, and had a low burden of proof for legalization, among other flaws.

Unfortunately, these concerns were not properly addressed in the legislation, nor through the amendment process. Therefore, I could not support movement of the legislation through the Senate. That is why I voted against proceeding to a final vote on the adoption of this flawed legislation. The motions to cut off debate and proceed to a vote on the measure failed three times in getting the 60 votes needed to proceed. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) then withdrew the bill from consideration, effectively ending the immigration debate for the time being.

I remain committed to the enactment of sound immigration policy. I understand the urgency expressed by many to enact a federal response to address our nation's immigration and border security needs. However, realizing the significant impact of legislation of this magnitude, I will continue to press for not just a temporary fix, but a solid solution that will secure our nation's borders, not provide incentives for further illegal immigration through rewarding illegal entry, provide Americans with the first right to access available jobs, and enable an efficient and workable guest worker program.

Please rest assured that, as debate over this legislation resumes, I will continue to work with President Bush, my colleagues in Congress and all Idahoans to find sensible solutions to the challenges we face with regard to immigration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

We don't want him to work with Bush. We want him to work against him and say "no" to amnesty.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    We don't want him to work with Bush. We want him to work against him and say "no" to amnesty.
    Ya, I told him that and will tell him again.

With all the many letters I have written him, I still have never gotten a reply. Maybe he just doesn't like my tone.

ENFORCE THE DAMN BORDERS!!!!!!
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)