Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney against offshoring American jobs - from Indian press

From the Indian Press (Rediff) January 30 --
    on Mitt Romney

Headline:
    US Prez hopeful Romney raises outsourcing bogey

http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/jan/30us1.htm

Note the last paragraph:
    While many of the major candidates, including Romney and Barack Obama, have rallied against outsourcing as a perceived evil, only Democratic candidate
    Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate John McCain have openly made pro-outsourcing statements.

From the link above:

US Prez hopeful Romney raises outsourcing bogey

January 30, 2008

Although Azim Premji, chairman of IT major Wipro [Get Quote], asserts that India is not stealing jobs from the West, it appears America, on the brink of a recession, is fearful of Asia's rapidly emerging economies.
    On Wednesday morning IST, business tycoon turned United States presidential hopeful Mitt Romney resurrected the 'India bogey' during his speech (external link) following the Florida Republican primary, in which Romney came in second to US Senator John McCain.

'Our world is under attack from violent, radical jihadists. Our jobs are being sought by new competitors -- countries like Asia and India. Some (Americans) wonder if their job is going to be secure in a new global economy,' Romney told supporters after his defeat.

Romney, 60, first established himself as a businessman before campaigning for and winning the Massachusetts gubernatorial race in 2002. He has built his current bid for the American presidency on his business pedigree.

'I spent my entire life in the real economy. I know why jobs come; I know why they go. I've been doing business in 20 countries around the world. I've run small business and large business. The economy is in my DNA. At a time like this, America needs a president in the White House who has actually had a job in the real economy,' he said.

Last year, on March 29, Romney expressed similar sentiments about Asia, saying, 'We face a much tougher competitor or group of competitors coming from Asia than we've ever faced before. Asia is tough. There are a lot of Asians. They are hard working people. And they're going to give us a run for our money in terms of our economic vitality.'

With the US dollar weakening by the day, the American housing market in shambles, and many an economist predicting a recession, Romney's comments play to America's growing uneasiness over the rise of China and India, particularly in business process outsourcing, which was a major talking point of the 2004 US presidential election. A commitment to curb offshoring has served as one of the pillars of Romney's campaign.

India has received considerable media mileage in the US as a prime destination for outsourced jobs. Some incensed Americans believe that large US corporations are shipping employment to India in order to pay cheaper wages, at the expense of the everyday American; these protestors have even created flourishing anti-outsourcing movements, like nojobsforindia.com.

Moreover, many in the US feel that President George W Bush has let Americans down through his implicit and stated support of outsourcing, and are ready for a change in direction and leadership.

Immigration concerns and America's place in the global economy -- border security, illegal immigrants, H-1B visas, outsourcing, etc -- are key components of this year's presidential race.

While many of the major candidates, including Romney and Barack Obama, have rallied against outsourcing as a perceived evil, only Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate John McCain have openly made pro-outsourcing statements.

Image: Republican presidential hopeful and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney speaks during a post primary campaign rally at the Grand Hall of Mirror Lake Lyceum in St Petersburg, Florida. Photograph: Alex Wong/Getty Images

I hope Romney can succeed in convincing corporations to hire Americans--especially as American companies are bought out by foreign interests, as is happening right now. The latter may simply feel more comfortable bringing their own people in--which would be a tragedy for American employees.

We've been on a long downhill slide with alcohol, drugs and slacker mentality contibuting to make American workers less desirable. With my apologies to the many exceptions....we haven't been in peak fighting form! I've seen this in construction where too many mistakes and laziness were tolerated--so, many builders turned to cheap Mexicans.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There would be no competition if other countries had to pay the same wages, health insurance , and retirements.....the problem is corporate America wants to bring middle class Americans down to 3rd world standards so they can fatten their own pockets

Give Americans a little more credit we know when we are being screwed!

EMERGENCY RED ALERT!!!!.............................................
    ALL ACTIVIST...PLEASE HELP GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT MC CAIN!!! BEFORE SUPER TUESDAY!!!!
    GO TO LINK BELOW!! for instuctions and contact infomation!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopic-101491-days ... asc-0.html
    HELP DISTRIBUTE NEW PRESS RELEASE NOW...LINK BELOW!!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-101914.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Ron, I agree, there is a overall sickness with many younger Americans these days, that sickness is laziness and apathy.

They want it all, fast and with good pay. They seem fearful to have to work hard for what they need and want. I know not all are like this, but there is a heavier load on the side of that, however. I hope we can turn this nation and it's younger generation around to good old-fashioned work ethics and that time honored fighting American spirit, otherwise, this nation will go down in flames.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well, I think this more, faster, easier, mentality goes across the board. It can easily be applied to corporate America itself. They earn 431 times the average US worker. They are getting a larger share of the national income than they have in over 40 years. Yet we are more productive than ever. More productive than any other First World nation. We work longer weeks than any other First World nation, and get far less vacation time.

We are not lazy. We simply have to compete with desperate peasants.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    I understand that also, Bear. The corporate heads get far too much money and do whatever they can to keep it, menaing, they want to pay as little as possible.

However, I have a daughter who is 25, and she is working hard right now, but all too many people in her age group that she knows, prefer to take the easiest way out, even she has complained about it. Then, there is the next few younger generations, which would prefer to play video games, watch cable tv and surf the net. I have a teen (14), and he is an unusual one, who prefers to pick up a hammer and build himself a "workshop" and work his off school hours at his dad's place of employment. I have seen it, he is in the minority, I hope and pray that changes and more young adults and teens realize what they need to do for this country in the future.

I also know many more "mature" adults (those 30 and above) who work their heads off to survive and feed their families, with little to show for what they do, sometimes not even enough to keep their families fed.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    There would be no competition if other countries had to pay the same wages, health insurance , and retirements.....the problem is corporate America wants to bring middle class Americans down to 3rd world standards so they can fatten their own pockets

Give Americans a little more credit we know when we are being screwed!

EMERGENCY RED ALERT!!!!.............................................
    ALL ACTIVIST...PLEASE HELP GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT MC CAIN!!! BEFORE SUPER TUESDAY!!!!
    GO TO LINK BELOW!! for instuctions and contact infomation!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopic-101491-days ... asc-0.html
    HELP DISTRIBUTE NEW PRESS RELEASE NOW...LINK BELOW!!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-101914.html
    Actually, the outsourced IT jobs pay very well in India. The benefits are excellent, like insurance, free food, mileage reimbursement, etc.

Of course, the falling US dollar may hurt that a little bit, but salaries are still very attractive - even at the entry level.

Manufacturing, of course, is a totally different story...

Well if you honestly look at it we can somewhat blam the government for our lazy kids also because in my day if I didn't do my chores I would get a good ol' butt whoopin' but try that today and see where you end up ! Yes Parents are to blame also but it isn't many of the parents that are raising our kids now adays it is society Reality TV and all about Sex and Money TV . I have sheltered my kids alot more than most do but they still have to go to school and that I can't help that , I am not there to know what they are learning from the teachers or Peers Society and our government has warped most of our young people not the parents. Most the people that complained about Punishing our kids didn't even have kids but they got there way. I spank my kids when they needed it and now that they are alittle to big to spank I take things aways from them and keep them home grounded !
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

Banned
    Americans need to start getting smart right about now

Just as an example

If somebody was to start a company manufacturing toys in
    this country , and could advertise "made in America" they
    may just clean up

People are sick of cheap shoddy garbage coming from
    China

There must be many opportunities for people to cash in
    on this type of thing , I bet there is a great market for honest
    made in America products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast