Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Secretary Napolitano Announces Deferred Action Process for Young People Who Are Low E

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Secretary Napolitano Announces Deferred Action Process for Young People Who Are Low E

Secretary Napolitano Announces Deferred Action Process for Young People Who Are Low Enforcement Priorities

Release Date: June 15, 2012

For Immediate Release
    Office of the Press Secretary

WASHINGTON— Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano today announced that effective immediately, certain young people who were brought to the United States as young children, do not present a risk to national security or public safety, and meet several key criteria will be considered for relief from removalfrom the country or from entering into removal proceedings. Those who demonstrate that they meet the criteria will be eligible to receive deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and will be eligible to apply for work authorization.

“Our nation’s immigration laws must be enforced in a firm and sensible manner,” said Secretary Napolitano. “But they are not designed to be blindly enforced without consideration given to the individual

circumstances of each case. Nor are they designed to remove productive young people to countries where they may not have lived or even speak the language. Discretion, which is used in so many other areas, is especially justified here.”

DHS continues to focus its enforcement resources on the removal of individuals who pose a national security or public safety risk, including immigrants convicted of crimes, violent criminals, felons, and repeat immigration law offenders. Today’s action further enhances the Department’s ability to focus on these priority removals.

Under this directive, individuals who demonstrate that they meet the following criteria will be eligible for an exercise of discretion, specifically deferred action, on a case by case basis:

1. Came to the United States under the age of sixteen;
    2. Have continuously resided in the United States for a least five years preceding the date of this memorandum and are present in the United States on the date of this memorandum;
    3. Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
    4. Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety;
    5. Are not above the age of thirty.

Only those individuals who can prove through verifiable documentation that they meet these criteria will be eligible for deferred action. Individuals will not be eligible if they are not currently in the United States and cannot prove that they have been physically present in the United States for a period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding today’s date. Deferred action requests are decided on a case-by-case basis. DHS cannot provide any assurancethat all such requests will be granted.The use of prosecutorial discretion confers no substantive right, immigration status, or pathway to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights.

While this guidance takes effect immediately, USCIS and ICE expect to begin implementation of the application processes within sixty days. In the meantime, individuals seeking more information on the new policy should visit USCIS’s website (at www.uscis.gov), ICE’s website (at www.ice.gov), or DHS’s website (at www.dhs.gov). Beginning Monday, individuals can also call USCIS’ hotline at 1-800-375-5283 or ICE’s hotline at 1-888-351-4024 during business hours with questions or to request more information on the forthcoming process.

For individuals who are in removal proceedings and have already been identified as meeting the eligibility criteria and have been offered an exercise of discretion as part of ICE’s ongoing case-by-case review, ICE will immediately begin to offer them deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal.
    For more information on the Administration policy reforms to date, please see this fact sheet.

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/20...ng-people.shtm
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Last edited by stevetheroofer; 06-15-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Nappy to speak on this new policy on Fox in few minutes

I've called two WH numbers and two DHS numbers. They are prepared. DHS hung up on me, the person on WH comment line cut me off to say "I'll relay your message to the President. He is lucky he said 'the President' rather than 'your President.' None of the last five have been mine.

I just heard on the Fox News that this was an Executive Order signed by Obama. They stated that it could be overturned by the next president. In other words it is a scheme to secure the Latino vote.

Obama administration to offer immunity to younger immigrants
    Jun 15, 2012 Policy change for those who came to U.S. as children bypasses Congress

Obama administration to offer immunity to younger immigrants

Exec. orders are often overturned by the next president. It then just becomes a political game rather than a solution. Romney has not yet (to my knowledge) promised to overturn this exec. order. However that said, that is unfair to those effetced, and that would be the excuse of the next president to not overturn. Legal one day, subject to deportatioan the next, is that fair? No, but I will demand that it be overtuned.

Main DHS Phone Numbers

They do not let you talk to anyone. You have to leave a message on the comment line. Call the main number anyway and tie up their lines. They will hear from us one way or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Main DHS Phone Numbers

They do not let you talk to anyone. You have to leave a message on the comment line. Call the main number anyway and tie up their lines. They will hear from us one way or the other!

Thanks for the info, will be working the phones today.

The Enabler in Cheif just said "it is not amnesty"!
    Well Mr. Enabler we are Not stupid!
    We have a path to citizenship already and they need to get on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast