Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Bernie Sanders Trying to Stop Bailout

Sanders has provisions here for the upper 1% (who caused this and can afford to pay) to be forced to pay for this. Sign the petition and, if you can, call your 2 senators, and also call the senators on the Banking Committee (list below) and tell them to support this proposed amendment.

GO HERE TO SIGN

[quote]Dear Secretary Paulson:

As a representative of the Bush Administration, you have proposed a financial bailout program of $700 billion – over $2,000 for every man, woman, and child in the country. We are appalled that your proposal puts the cost of this bailout on average Americans; that it contains no provisions reversing failed deregulatory policies; that it allows executives at these failed institutions to continue to make exorbitant salaries and bonuses, and that your proposal contains no help for average Americans who themselves are facing severe economic hardships.

While the Administration has quickly rallied to help Wall Street, it has ignored the needs of the declining middle class. Since President Bush has been in office the wealthiest people in this country have made out like bandits and have not had it so good since the 1920s. The top one-tenth of one percent now earn more income than the bottom 50 percent of Americans and the top one percent own more wealth than the bottom 90 percent. Incredibly, the richest 400 people in our country saw their wealth increase by $670 billion during the Bush presidency.

Having mismanaged the economy for 8 years while continually insisting that, “The fundamentals of our economy are strong,â€

Done!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've gladly signed the petition. It is my understanding, however, that an internet or e-mail petition is not viable. Can someone give me some clarification on this?
    <div>
    </div>

Wow, that's some tortured logic. It wasn't the wealthiest (1%) who bought homes they couldn't afford and very few of them were politicians who pressured Fannie and Freddie to give risky home loans to minority groups.

If anything, the American middle class is primarily to blame for this debacle. My little sister is one of those morons who bought a house she couldn't afford. My Dad said it best when she recently put her house on the market: "She's always had champagne tastes on a beer budget".

For some reason, we Americans now think we're entitled to everything under the sun, including home ownership. My grandparents, who were members of the "Greatest Generation", lived through the Great Depression and that experience turned them into responsible and thrifty citizens. If the same thing happens to the current generation of spoiled American whiners when the bailout plan is shot down, I say bring it on.