Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Joni Ernst Takes Herself Out Of Running To Be Trump Running Mate

Sen. Joni Ernst Takes Herself Out Of Running To Be Trump Running Mate

AP Photo / Charlie Neibergall

By KRISTIN SALAKY
    Published JULY 6, 2016, 2:13 PM EDT

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) is effectively taking herself out of the running to be Donald Trump's running mate Wednesday, saying she wants to focus on her work in the Senate, according to Politico.

Ernst made headlines last week when it was rumored she was being vetted for Trump's VP pick after he had met with her and praised her on Twitter. But, Ernst told Politico that she is not interested in the gig.

“I made that very clear to him that I’m focused on Iowa. I feel that I have a lot more to do in the United States Senate.

And Iowa is where my heart is,” Ernst said, according to Politico. “I’m just getting started here. I have a great partner with Chuck Grassley, we’ve been able to accomplish a lot. And I think that President Trump will need some great assistance in the United States Senate and I can provide that.”

Though she apparently won't be joining him on the ticket, she said she is committed to getting Trump into the White House. Ernst is expected to speak at the Republican national convention during a primetime spot, an anonymous source told Politico.

“I will probably participate more as an advocate," Ernst told Politico. "I would love to assist him out on the trail."

Ernst is the second candidate to bow out Wednesday afternoon, with Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) telling the Washington Post he is also taking himself out of the veep race.

The Trump campaign is reportedly most seriously vetting former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R).

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...t-not-trump-vp
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 07-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn