Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sessions continuing...

There is not way to guarantee that things will ever be funded.

It is not strong enough assurance that provisions will actually be funded.

Many of those provisions were being done, or funded already anyway.

Loophole #2: enforcement trigger does not require US visit exit system, Biometric ID card be implemented. Was required in 1996!!!

No way to track overstays... Absolutely necessary
    Req'd to be done by 2005 - not reqd as part of trigger. No, no, no.

No way to ascertain if people exit when reqd.

Who's gonna find out if people actually left the country?

1/3 of those here illegally came legally w/visa.
    We have no way to identify and remove these people.

"This is why I say the leg. before us was designed to fail"

In 1996 we reqd US Visit to have exit portion - do you think former senators went out to constituents and told them that this wasn't in effect and not working

According to 2006 Pew Hisp Ctr - (study of modalities of entry by illegals.)

I think we're not serious if we don't have exit system.

If Pres Bush wanted exit system inplace, it would be in place.

Chuckles - another section of bill, a DHS must provide a schedule for developing an exit system - that's not good enough.

#3 Loophole - bill does not req DHS to have enough bedspace to end catch-release esp. in the interior. (Handling of OTMs and posting of $5000 bond to get out of detention too).

We were releasing everyone not detaining them. Asking them to report to be deported ?!?!?! How many don't show up? 95%.

The smugglers tell their loads, 'just turn yourself in, so they catch you, and then you'll get released on bail. - a mockery of law enforcement.

Need a certain amount of bedspace or you can't do enforcement.

Current funding level: 27000 beds. Nothing new was added in terms of trigger - until Gregg Amend passed, now 31,500 beds was added.
    However, that is far less 43,000 are reqd by current law to be in place by end of this year.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sessions cont...

Just because it's in the bill, doesn't mean it will ever happen.

The demand for deportation & removal detention space has grown much faster than available bed space. Despite the fact that high-risk inmates are often released due to lack of detention bed space.
    Is a 'de facto' amnesty program - esp for OTMs.

(Detention & Release Off)
    DRO personnel levels grew only 3%, and fudning for bedspace declined 6%, led to 38% increase in releases by DRO.

DRO has faced annual mandates has increase # inmates who are detained.
    It is clear that we need more beds, a lot more beds

Why are US people cynical? We passed a law in 2004 to increase them -
    they did not put that in the trigger.. otherwise ....

I have a number of additional loopholes I will talk about in upcoming days.

I can't vote for this bill. I can't go to my constituents and tell them we have a good solid immigration reform bill.

My disagreement is not with the idea, but with the actual legislation is dramatically ineffective.

Yields floor...

Sen Bond..

Speaks...

Introducing bill to strike automatic provision of c-ship in bill.

I supported the Vitter Amend yesterday.

So today, I've proposed a more targeted amend to give award of c-ship ahead of other.

Most IAs came here for work, not necessarily for c-ship. My amend will strike provision of Z visa in bill. Pathway to c-ship is cut-off, and urge my colls. to support it.

Talking about Sen. Stevens (R-AK)..thanks for long service...

[Transcriber break - 9:00am PT]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[Addition of general added notes @ 9:21am PT]

General comments by Salazar, now Sen. Whitehouse.

[Note: Can someone ask Sen Whitehouse this: why does he trumpet the dysfunctionality and potential reforms of the US health care system on multiple occasions over the last week or so ... at the same time, ignoring the closing of hundreds of US hospitals due to the mandate of providing care to IAs (and other uninsured citizens too, to be fair)?

We shouldn't we be providing care to US citizens that are un or under-insured and let IAs care be funded by their country of origin. ]

[Transc. Update: Discussion has shifted to other / misc subjects @9:49am PT]

Reid Speaking about Iraq at the moment...

I hate him, can't tell you how bad I wish I was there in person, I would love to be the first one to toss the tamato right in his wimpy face! !
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Senate Finishes up.

Well re-convene on June 4th.

a**holes
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Quote Originally Posted by alisab
    a**holes

Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12