Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sharpton, Scott Seek Immigration Reform

Yahoo! News
    Back to Story - Help
    Sharpton, Scott seek immigration reform

By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ, AP Hispanic Affairs Writer2 hours, 6 minutes ago

The Rev. Al Sharpton and Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott became unlikely allies Tuesday in their call to revive immigration legislation, in speeches before the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights organization. "Congress needs to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill now," said Scott, who heads the world's largest retailer.

Scott attributed his views in part to his Mexican-American granddaughter, who has helped him to understand immigration as more than "simply a cerebral exercise."

But Hispanics also provide a major part of the chain's business, Scott acknowledged, roughly 14 percent and growing. And their relatives are increasingly shopping at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in countries such as Argentina and Guatemala.

Sharpton, a civil rights activist who has often railed against corporate America, went further in his support for a bill that would provide a path to legalization for many of the nation's more than 12 million illegal immigrants. He denounced TV and radio shows that foster an "us against them" mentality.

"I want to say what a lot of people won't say. The immigration debate is not simply about border security, it is a problem of America dealing with race," Sharpton told the audience of more than 1,000 community, political and business leaders, at the National Council of La Raza's annual conference.

"No one is calling for English-only tests when it comes to fighting in Iraq," he added.

Black Americans must stand up for Hispanics because the issues they face are the same, Sharpton said.

"We cannot have the tribal psychology in the civil rights movement," he said. "We must fight all for one and one for all, or we lose the moral authority to fight for anybody."

Sharpton dismissed the notion that immigrants are taking jobs from black Americans.

"What jobs?" he demanded. "Blacks were doubly unemployed by whites before anyone came across the border."

He also slammed presidential candidates he said wink at black and Hispanic Americans and say: "you know what I mean. We'll take care of you later," then ignore them in the primaries.

"No, we don't know what you mean," he said. "Do not treat us like some cheap date that you cannot take home to your mother."

But Tomar Jacoby, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research who did not attend the conference, disputed the notion that opposition to last month's immigration bill was based on racism.

"Much more widespread are worries about the culture. Are we going to be speaking Spanish? Are our politics going to look like Mexican politics? Can this work?" she said.

Jacoby said some Americans are so disillusioned with the government's handling of Hurricane Katrina, the war in Iraq and even current immigration laws, that they have little confidence the government will keep its promises on new ones.

"That can spill over into bigotry, but it isn't bigotry," she said.

Sharpton and Lee spoke as immigrant rights activists discussed last month's failure to achieve new immigration laws and their strategies for renewing the debate.

Many called for more civil rights-era type protests against local anti-immigrant ordinances and efforts to reach out to local media.

"Ultimately, you can't argue with demographics," said Joe Garcia, vice president of the Democratic nonprofit NDN Network. "Being anti-immigrant doesn't work in some places, and as America changes, being anti-immigrant isn't going to work in a lot more places."

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
    Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Send Feedback | Help

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_ ... mmigration
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

He's losing his power with the black community so he's trying to jump on the band wagon.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So what exactly did his American/Mexican granddaughter teach him?

That has nothing to do with the law - why do they always bring that kind of garbage into it - because they don't have a leg to stand on.

OK, why don't we leave Wal Mart to the Mexicans. Let's see if they can survive on Mexican business - and all that business in Guatemala, etc.

Everytime I go into Wal Mart, I see MExican (alleged illegal's children) playing with all the toys. There will be dozens of toys on the floor - some will taken out of the packages, etc.

We need to do something and soon - very soon -
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DJ

A boycott plan?

I hear a lot of suggestions about boycotting businesses that are supportive of illegal aliens, but we can't seem to firm up any actual game plan. What if we refused to do business with three of the biggest business groups? That might be Walmart, Home Depot, and Bank of America for instance. Would our numbers make any difference? Or would any effort that way be so insignificant that it would not be worth the effort. I know that many of us feel that we need an actual plan we can follow. I am in California, so believe me, the creeping influx of gang activity, grafetti, overwhelmed freeway traffic etc. are part of my daily life. I need to feel that I can do something!

AL Sharpton

Al Sharpton doing the only job he has ever done .....professional race baiter
    Deport Now - Get your useless invading rearend out of my country!

wow.... I cannot believe he came out on the side of illegals..... He is one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen.

what a shame that so many people have HIM to represent them.....
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

Everytime good ole AL opens his mouth he looks stupid and more foolish. Why anyone would listen to this fool is beyond me. The best part is the media actual pays attention to him! Shows you how our news media has turned to more entertainment than actual news.

Re: Sharpton, Scott Seek Immigration Reform

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    Yahoo! News
    Back to Story - Help
    Sharpton, Scott seek immigration reform

By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ, AP Hispanic Affairs Writer2 hours, 6 minutes ago

The Rev. Al Sharpton and Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott became unlikely allies Tuesday in their call to revive immigration legislation, in speeches before the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights organization. "Congress needs to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill now," said Scott, who heads the world's largest retailer.

Scott attributed his views in part to his Mexican-American granddaughter, who has helped him to understand immigration as more than "simply a cerebral exercise."

But Hispanics also provide a major part of the chain's business, Scott acknowledged, roughly 14 percent and growing. And their relatives are increasingly shopping at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in countries such as Argentina and Guatemala.

Sharpton, a civil rights activist who has often railed against corporate America, went further in his support for a bill that would provide a path to legalization for many of the nation's more than 12 million illegal immigrants. He denounced TV and radio shows that foster an "us against them" mentality.

"I want to say what a lot of people won't say. The immigration debate is not simply about border security, it is a problem of America dealing with race," Sharpton told the audience of more than 1,000 community, political and business leaders, at the National Council of La Raza's annual conference.

"No one is calling for English-only tests when it comes to fighting in Iraq," he added.

Black Americans must stand up for Hispanics because the issues they face are the same, Sharpton said.

"We cannot have the tribal psychology in the civil rights movement," he said. "We must fight all for one and one for all, or we lose the moral authority to fight for anybody."

Sharpton dismissed the notion that immigrants are taking jobs from black Americans.

"What jobs?" he demanded. "Blacks were doubly unemployed by whites before anyone came across the border."

He also slammed presidential candidates he said wink at black and Hispanic Americans and say: "you know what I mean. We'll take care of you later," then ignore them in the primaries.

"No, we don't know what you mean," he said. "Do not treat us like some cheap date that you cannot take home to your mother."

But Tomar Jacoby, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research who did not attend the conference, disputed the notion that opposition to last month's immigration bill was based on racism.

"Much more widespread are worries about the culture. Are we going to be speaking Spanish? Are our politics going to look like Mexican politics? Can this work?" she said.

Jacoby said some Americans are so disillusioned with the government's handling of Hurricane Katrina, the war in Iraq and even current immigration laws, that they have little confidence the government will keep its promises on new ones.

"That can spill over into bigotry, but it isn't bigotry," she said.

Sharpton and Lee spoke as immigrant rights activists discussed last month's failure to achieve new immigration laws and their strategies for renewing the debate.

Many called for more civil rights-era type protests against local anti-immigrant ordinances and efforts to reach out to local media.

"Ultimately, you can't argue with demographics," said Joe Garcia, vice president of the Democratic nonprofit NDN Network. "Being anti-immigrant doesn't work in some places, and as America changes, being anti-immigrant isn't going to work in a lot more places."

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
    Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Send Feedback | Help

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_ ... mmigration

LET AL SHARPTON TAKE THEM ALL HOME WITH HIM.

Re: A boycott plan?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    I hear a lot of suggestions about boycotting businesses that are supportive of illegal aliens, but we can't seem to firm up any actual game plan. What if we refused to do business with three of the biggest business groups? That might be Walmart, Home Depot, and Bank of America for instance. Would our numbers make any difference? Or would any effort that way be so insignificant that it would not be worth the effort. I know that many of us feel that we need an actual plan we can follow. I am in California, so believe me, the creeping influx of gang activity, grafetti, overwhelmed freeway traffic etc. are part of my daily life. I need to feel that I can do something!
    Of course, I think we could bring Wal Mart to its knees if we got together and all did it. To be honest, I think that is what they are afraid of - that's why they are pandering to the illegals and probably paying Sharpton big bucks to stand with them.

My suggestions is a little different - I would like to take on an industry at a time. That way the illegals would be out of luck. If we take on the poultry industry first - just don't buy poultry products. Let them pile up on them and the illegals would have to go. They can't leave one company and go to another - there would be no poultry businesses selling anything. Poultry has always been very big into illegals and has been a magnet for decades.

We tried this for a while some time ago and it didn't get a lot of traction - but I will say that chicken dropped to .19 a pound in some places and it was on sale in many, many places. It just kinda fizzled out.

We could take on beef, then pork - then fast food - etc., etc. - and Wal Mart all the time - just for principle.

But to simply not buy one particular product for a time would be so simple. No thinking, no looking around for the right store, brand, etc., just no poultry products - pass them by. No turkey, no eggs, no chicken - no KFC, though.

I promise if every person in this country, if just part of them, would take this on for a few months - it would make a difference.

By the end of the year, we could have made a real difference.

We just need a cheerleader and I am not good at it.

I stopped going to Walmart a long time ago when I realized it was no longer what Sam Walton intended it to be. I guess I feel I can get along without doing business with any of the La Raza supporters ,so I will !

At least I will have the satisfaction of knowing my money is not going to any of them !!!

I am also DONE with having any reaction to their negative racists attitude...it no longer phases me.......
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast