Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sheriff Curran:Let law enforcement do its job, good letter

We have a county sheriff that gets it. His jail/office are in Waukegan.

Let law enforcement do its job

April 11, 2009

Recent audits have indicated that approximately 20 percent of the Lake County Jail is comprised of illegal immigrants. With illegal immigrants having committed many serious crimes in Lake County -- from murder and rape to distribution of illegal narcotics -- America must address the issues of illegal immigration in a responsible manner.

I would like to address the recent irresponsible statements by Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., regarding illegal immigration. Speaker Pelosi stated that the government should stop conducting raids pertaining to illegal immigration. The speaker also stated that current immigration enforcement practices are "un-American."

The Lake County Sheriff's Office works closely with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in conducting administrative and criminal warrant sweeps. The Sheriff's Office is part of the executive branch of government at the state level.

We are sworn to uphold the law and to enforce the law. History has taught us that a nation that fails to enforce their laws will cease to exist.

The authority of law enforcement is not merely a civil one, but it is a moral one as well. Law enforcement must enforce the law and should not be encouraged to do otherwise. The rule of law means that the law does matter and that there are consequences to violating the law.

I am Roman Catholic, and as such, I am able to point to the consequences of disregarding the rule of law in my own church. The Roman Catholic Church in America had a number of priests that abused minor children.

The Church many times did not tell law enforcement authorities that priests had victimized young children and instead silently transferred the priests to different parishes. The failure to uphold the rule of law resulted in the following harmful results: 1) Thousands, if not millions, left the church; 2) The church paid out hundreds of millions of dollars to settle lawsuits and; 3) Countless more children were victimized.

Speaker Pelosi is entitled to debate the merits of new immigration legislation. However, the speaker should not call upon the various law enforcement entities that comprise the executive branch to not do their job and enforce the existing laws.

Simply put, Speaker Pelosi needs to do her job and allow law enforcement to do their job.

Mark C. Curran Jr. is Sheriff of Lake County

My Turn/Mark C. Curran Jr.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article

email Sheriff Curran and thank him

MCurran@lakecountyil.go
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sheriff Curran is a good man. I already sent him an email thanking him for his letter and offering my support.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sent my thank you letter, and I don't think I know a soul in Lake County.