Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Should Hospitals Ship Illegals Back Home?

UTMB case adds to national debate.

the950.com
    By NIK RAJKOVIC
    Friday, October 28, 2011

A case in Galveston is again sparking debate over the cost of providing health care to illegal immigrants.

Francisco Martinez is paralyzed after suffering a workplace injury three months ago, and his family had accused UTMB officials of pressuring them to move him back to Mexico.

That's the right move decision according to state Representative Debbie Riddle.

"This man has received very good care up this point," says the Tomball Republican. "And now it's time for him to return to his home country.

"We educate, we take care of their medical needs, we do so much not only for Mexico, but all around the world," says Riddle. "But there has to come a point where we say enough is enough."

Ira Mehlman at the Federation for American Immigration Reform says illegal immigrants not only cost taxpayers billions of dollars each year, but they drive up insurance premiums as well.

"We've got to get a handle on it somehow," says Mehlman. "And it's perfectly reasonable to say that people who have no legal reason to be in the country in the first place should not be at the head of the line to receive this very limited care and very expensive care."

Joe Compian at Gulf Coast Interfaith is working to help Martinez and his family through donations. He argues their situation could happen to anyone.

"Any one of use could be uninsured in our life," says Compian. "It could be a family member who suffers a job injury where they're working at perhaps minimum wage without any health benefits."

"There are still fundamentally a lot of good people in this country," he says. "And when we sit down and look at cases on an individual bases and not succumb to these generalizations about people, we can find solutions to anything."

UTMB wouldn't provide an interview, but did issue the following statement:

“This is a national issue and occurs most frequently in the border states. Under state and federal laws, we are obligated to provide emergency treatment without regard to citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions to the laws. Such a patient admitted to a hospital can be discharged, after he or she is stabilized, with a patient’s consent or when the patient’s condition requires a transfer to a facility better equipped to continue treatment.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Yes! unless FedX will do it cheaper!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Three words for this:

Treat.

Stabilize.

Deport.

What is so hard about that?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Should Texas hospitals ship illegal immigrants with nonlife threatening health concerns back across the border if they are unable to pay for treatment?

Yes

77.46 %

No

22.54 %

Banned
    Well the 22.54% of people who like him so much should all chip in to pay for his care. Or take him home with them.

Should Texas hospitals ship illegal immigrants with nonlife threatening health concerns back across the border if they are unable to pay for treatment?

Yes 79.91 %

No 20.09 %

Sounds reasonable SicNTiredInSoCal:
    Treat
    Stablize
    Deport

Does sound like it is time to go 'home.'

Wonder how Mexico would treat one of our citizens if the situation were reversed?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Boy this is getting better every day . get your head out of the sand
    yes
    I have to pay my bill hello
    yes ship them all back which one did you not Understand

hay Tex why the hell don't you wake the hell up ship them back
    No amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by Jean

Yes 79.91 %

No 20.09 %

Treat
    Stablize
    Deport

Wonder how Mexico would treat one of our citizens if the situation were reversed?
    Jean, I could tell you how from experience. In the mid 80's my half brother was 21 when he was in a accident on his 3 wheeler down there. They had to transport him to the hospital on someone's DOOR. He was in the mexican hospitial for about a week in coma. They wanted money to send him back home. I was 15 at the time and I dont remember the details on how we finally got him back, but I think we had to get a judge involved... He was in a Phoenix hospital for a short time after that before he passed away from his injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal

Yes 79.91 %

No 20.09 %

Treat
    Stablize
    Deport

Jean, I could tell you how from experience. In the mid 80's my half brother was 21 when he was in a accident on his 3 wheeler down there. They had to transport him to the hospital on someone's DOOR. He was in the mexican hospitial for about a week in coma. They wanted money to send him back home. I was 15 at the time and I dont remember the details on how we finally got him back, but I think we had to get a judge involved... He was in a Phoenix hospital for a short time after that before he passed away from his injuries.
    Oh my, you do sure speak from personal experience. Thank you for sharing but so sorry to hear what happened to your dear brother.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal

Yes 79.91 %

No 20.09 %

Treat
    Stablize
    Deport

Oh my, you do sure speak from personal experience. Thank you for sharing but so sorry to hear what happened to your dear brother.
    Thanks Jean. It was devastating to go thru it and mexico just made it worse than it had to be. I hate that cesspool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast