Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Should We Welcome Undocumented Immigrants?

Their title, not mine.

You can download the audio from the debate at this link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=15317839

In the past decade, a large influx of immigrants — many Hispanic and many illegal — has expanded from traditional polyglot cities into the suburbs, exurbs and even rural areas of America. This has produced a backlash, especially since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, made immigration a national security issue.

There are now an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. What should the U.S. do with them? The nation is engaged in a heated and divisive debate, one that crosses all lines of party and ideology.

The Bush administration, business groups and some immigrant advocates argue that the U.S. economy demands immigrant labor, and by denying those workers legal status, the government is fostering a shadow sub-class subject to abuse. Restrictionist groups contend that so many illegal workers depress wages and are causing a culture clash. They oppose legalization and argue that tougher enforcement measures can slowly force these immigrants out of the country.

For two years, Congress has debated and failed to pass a sweeping immigration overhaul. More and more states and localities are stepping into the void with their own proposals, though many have been blocked by the courts as unconstitutional.

A panel of experts took on the issue Oct. 9 as part of the Intelligence Squared U.S. series. The proposition was "Let's Stop Welcoming Undocumented Immigrants." In an Oxford-style debate modeled on a program begun in London in 2002, three panelists argued for the proposition and three against.

The debate was held at the Asia Society and Museum in New York City and was moderated by John Hockenberry, a former reporter with both National Public Radio and NBC News, and co-host of an upcoming public radio program produced by WNYC.

In a vote before the debate, 42 percent of the audience supported the proposition and 34 percent opposed it, while 24 percent said they were undecided. After the debate, the audience voted 60 percent in support, 37 percent against and 3 percent undecided...
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Let me me think about this for a moment...
    Uuuh, NO.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_shlitz

Let me me think about this for a moment...
    Uuuh, NO.
    I need some time to ponder this.

Okay, I've pondered.

HELL NO!!!
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I guess the best answer coming from me would be "See ya on the other side of the fence"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Only if we are gluttons for punishment!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

We should absolutely welcome illegal aliens ... to go back home to suck off their own countries ...
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

Only if you have no respect for American culture, customs , Laws, and you can't wait to see us slip into chaos, anarchy and oblivion which it is presently doing all of the above at a very rapid pace.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

In other words, let 1 billion foreigners in who want to take everything we have created and built in the USA, then carve it up into separate countries based on ethnicity like the Balkans? This is treason and anyone who even asks the question is a traitor.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Listen to the debate, it's worth it.

Heather MacDonald and the people arguing against this ridiculous proposition steer the debate back on point, while the side that wants to completely nullify our current immigration laws bob and weave.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

The proposition was "Let's Stop Welcoming Undocumented Immigrants."
    Seem like the proposition is NOT to welcome them. and the arguments for that swayed nearly all the undecided to that point.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast