Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Snow: Immigration bill opposition misjudged

Houston Chronicle : September 14 , 2007 -- by RICHARD S. DUNHAM

"President Bush, meet NumbersUSA and its 450,000+ members!" Great job, troops!

Outgoing White House press secretary Tony Snow said today that the Bush administration had underestimated the ferocity of opposition to White House-backed immigration legislation.

"I freely admit that we underestimated the (public) skepticism," Snow said over breakfast with a group of reporters on his final day on the job.

Snow said that the White House was not prepared for the anger of foes of illegal immigration, who believed that government at all levels had failed to secure the nation's borders. While the public backlash is aimed "not merely (at) the Bush administration," he conceded that the White House "made some miscalculations, as well."

The president's chief spokesman, who has waged a very public battle with cancer during his two years in the high-profile job, said that though a compromise immigration bill came close to passage, the process now "requires a much longer debate."

"We should have gotten it through last time," he said. "This is an issue that will be with us -- it will not go away."

After the 2007 debacle, he said, the government must demonstrate that the federal government can secure the border "in a competent way" before legislation that would allow American companies to hire more immigrants and permit the legalization of illegal workers can gain traction on Capitol Hill.

But Snow argued strongly for a flow of immigrant workers. "We have this big, booming economy," he said, "and we don't have enough workers."

Calling America "a nation of immigrants," he said Congress and the president needed to come up with a plan to deal with the about 12 million people who are illegally in the country today. "A lot of these people really are pursuing the traditional path to the American dream," he said.

To win political support for comprehensive legislation, Snow said the government needed to re-establish "the credibility of the rule of law" by protecting the border and requiring illegal immigrants to pay substantial penalties -- "not just a wrist slap, but something significant" -- before taking their place "at the back of the line" to citizenship. While awaiting legal status, they should not be permitted to collect welfare and should be required to maintain continuous employment and crime-free lives.

Despite the passionate opposition to illegal immigration on the Republican right and populist left, Snow said that both political parties should be sensitive to the feelings of Hispanic voters.

"No political party is going to be able to survive (without the) fastest-growing voting bloc in America," he said.

Asked what he thought of the 2008 Republican presidential candidates' repeated attacks on President Bush's immigration record, Snow uncharacteristically demurred.

"Ask me that question in a week -- or even tomorrow," he said. "As the president's press secretary, I'm not going to step into that one."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We should have gotten it through last time," he said. "This is an issue that will be with us -- it will not go away."
    A clear threat.

Calling America "a nation of immigrants," he said Congress and the president needed to come up with a plan to deal with the about 12 million people who are illegally in the country today. "A lot of these people really are pursuing the traditional path to the American dream," he said.

I love it when a cheap hustler's con has run its course. There isn't anything left to say or sell. We're not buying amnesty now, and we won't be buying it in the future. A secured border is not going to be a bartering agreement.

But Snow argued strongly for a flow of immigrant workers. "We have this big, booming economy," he said, "and we don't have enough workers."
    Where is the labor analysis that has yielded this conclusion? Apparently the Bush administration feels no need to substantiate its claim, assuming it's generally accepted as gospel by the peons. This is one of those canards that just won't die.

"No political party is going to be able to survive (without the) fastest-growing voting bloc in America," he said.
    This is ludicrous. Is the Hispanic population going to singlehandedly destroy the American political system, and create their own party from the ashes? What he means is that the Republican party won't survive Democratic pandering to this demographic, so best the GOP get in on the action

"Calling America "a nation of immigrants,"

Snow can't be as smart as they think, making that statement!!!

I AM NOT AN IMMIGRANT. I AM AN AMERICAN, as are 85% of my countrymen/women/children.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJustice
    "Calling America "a nation of immigrants,"

Snow can't be as smart as they think, making that statement!!!

I AM NOT AN IMMIGRANT. I AM AN AMERICAN, as are 85% of my countrymen/women/children.
    They (Executive Branch) are just trying to justify the "feeling" that we're all just anchor babies. Heck, I'm not an anchor baby, my family genealogy has been traced back to the American Revolution on my mothers side. In fact, my Great Grand Mother was 1/2 Cherokee. Both of my daughters belong the the Cherokee Nation and regularly attend and participate in their meetings since their mother was also part Cherokee. I am no immigrant! I am an American and proud to be so!
    What's the price is freedom...today? Veteran, US Army, E-5, 1978-1982 *****Ron Paul for President 2008***** http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/

Re: Snow: Immigration bill opposition misjudged

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7

"I freely admit that we underestimated the (public) skepticism," Snow said over breakfast with a group of reporters on his final day on the job.
    Wow, he actually told the truth for once. Scary.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]