Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

According to MSNBC.com:

McCain has 367

Romney has 127

Huckabee has 91

Ron Paul has 4

1191 needed to win outright

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22419475
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Banned
    Romney Wins Maine GOP Caucuses
    by Associated Press
    Saturday, February 2, 2008

Facebook Stumble Upon del.icio.us Digg Email

AUGUSTA, Maine — Mitt Romney won the presidential preference voting context by Maine Republicans on Saturday in the party’s municipal caucuses, which were heavily attended across the state.

Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, had a little over half of the vote with about two-thirds of the towns holding caucuses reporting. John McCain worked to keep his vote above 20 percent, trailed by Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee.

The nonbinding votes, the first step toward electing 18 Maine delegates to the Republican National Convention, were taking place in public schools, Grange halls, fire stations and town halls across the state.

Despite a sleet storm the night before that left much of the state coated with slush and ice Saturday morning, cars jammed the parking lot outside an Augusta elementary school where Kennebec County municipalities were caucusing.

Signs promoting the candidates were jabbed in snowbanks, and inside the school gym speeches were given on behalf of candidates as around 300 party members listened and occasionally broke into cheers.

Kim Pettengill, who has been a party activist for more than three decades, said Saturday’s was the largest Kennebec County caucus turnout since 1980, the year Ronald Reagan won his first GOP nomination for president.

Party Executive Director Julie O’Brien said other counties reported similarly heavy turnouts. In coastal Damariscotta, O’Brien said she counted about 400 people packing the meeting at the Great Salt Bay School, and local organizers said it was the biggest turnout they had seen.

In Portland, Maine’s largest city, more than 250 Republicans showed up for a caucus on an afternoon that turned bright and sunny, and a big majority threw their support behind Romney.

McCain was seen as picking up support in Maine following consecutive wins in South Carolina on Jan. 19 and Florida on Tuesday. Paul was also seen as a potential winner given his strong organization in Maine and appeal to the state’s independent-minded voters.

Besides Paul, who visited Maine on Monday, Romney was the only candidate to show up or send a surrogate to campaign as the caususes drew close. His oldest son Tagg campaigned Friday and appeared at caucuses Saturday.

At the Portland caucus, McCain supporter Roy Lenardson said Maine Republicans may have been thumbing their noses at neighboring New Hampshire, home of the first-in-the-nation primaries where Romney lost to McCain.

“Maine is one of those places you can’t peg. Just because New Hampshire does something, it’s almost a guarantee that Maine will choose another route,â€

YOu don't understand...

You don't understand the delegate process at all whatsoever. It's fairly complicated. Just because cali is reporting 170 something delegates..that is not ALL the delegates they can have. It's complicated and the News Media KEEPS IT SIMPLE..yet, it is wrong info. Delegates are decided at the STATE CONVENTIONS which have not yet occured. These primaries are just a show of hands...who people want to win..they don't mean a whole lot...just like the general election. Delegates and Electoral College Rules. I don't completely understand it myself, but the more I read about the process..the more I understand that the popular vote..means diddly squat.

Banned

Re: YOu don't understand...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzloversinc
    You don't understand the delegate process at all whatsoever. It's fairly complicated. Just because cali is reporting 170 something delegates..that is not ALL the delegates they can have. It's complicated and the News Media KEEPS IT SIMPLE..yet, it is wrong info. Delegates are decided at the STATE CONVENTIONS which have not yet occured. These primaries are just a show of hands...who people want to win..they don't mean a whole lot...just like the general election. Delegates and Electoral College Rules. I don't completely understand it myself, but the more I read about the process..the more I understand that the popular vote..means diddly squat.
    Its obvious you don't really understand it

Report..

Dude man...that was the STRAW POLL..the Maine caucus lasted 3 days. Well, sigh, believe what you want. I give up...you'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Re: Here is the skinny...

Let me reinforce my point here

[quote="PhredE"][quote="jazzloversinc"]Here's the skinny.

Ron Paul Beats McCain in Maine Caucus, Primed to Win Over 1/3 of State Delegates
    In the race for delegates, Ron Paul appears to closely trail Romney for first place

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 4, 2008

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – While most reports about this past weekend’s Maine Caucus focused on the purely symbolic presidential preference poll, in the meaningful race to secure delegates to the state convention Ron Paul is primed to finish second with likely 35 percent of the total delegates.

Delegates to the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis are elected by the state delegates. Internal results from 10 of 16 counties, including the largest cities of Portland, South Portland, Lewiston, Auburn, Augusta, Waterville, Bangor, and Brewer, show Ron Paul picking up 215 of 608 State Convention delegates so far reported, or 35%.

“Ron Paul’s strong second place finish in Maine, in which he beat John McCain, is proof that this race is far from over,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's ok..

Well, that's really ok. lol. "If you keep on thinkin what you always thought, you keep on gettin what you always got."

The story about the Maine caucus is listed on Ron Paul's website. Go read it,Jazzlover appears to be correct .

www.ronpaul2008.com
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    There is a huge difference between state and national delegates

here in Nevada we elected like 1000 state delegates but yet
    they didn't mean squat to the state delegate number

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast