Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Student’s ‘Make America Great Again’ hat sparks outrage at Calgary university

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Student’s ‘Make America Great Again’ hat sparks outrage at Calgary university

A video showing an angry student snatching a Donald Trump hat off another student’s head has caused outrage at one Canadian university. (YouTube/@UnbrokenSymmetry)

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Saturday, September 17, 2016

A video showing an angry student snatching a Donald Trump hat off another student’s head has sparked controversy at one Canadian university.

The president of Mount Royal University in Calgary has reminded students about the importance of free speech after a now-viral video posted Thursday showed a female student berating a male student wearing a “Make America Great Again” baseball cap.

The woman, identified as Zoe Slusar, the former vice president of student life at MRU, proceeded to tell the man, identified as Matt Linder, that he was not allowed to promote “hate language” on campus.

“You gotta take it off,” she told him. “You gotta take the hat off or I’m going to write the president of the university and he’s going to come talk to you because I’ve already talked to him about this.”

A crowd formed as the two continued to argue and the video showed an angry male student walking up to Mr. Linder and grabbing the hat off his head.

“Just leave!” the unidentified student said as Ms. Slusar repeatedly thanked him.

The video has been viewed on YouTube more than 190,000 times since its posting.

Ms. Slusar later admitted in a statement to CBC that Mr. Linder was within his rights.

“He is allowed to wear the hat,” she wrote. “As a student, I disagree with what the hat represents. I have diverse friends (culturally and sexually) who would drop a class if the person wearing the hat was sitting in the room with them, because they would feel unsafe. Given the deeper issues of intolerance and oppression represented by the hat, I disagree with it.”

After initially declining to comment on the issue, MRU President David Docherty issued a revised statement Friday saying the school would not interfere with the students’ rights to express their views.

“I have seen the video and want to emphasize that I believe, both as an individual and as the President of Mount Royal University, freedom of speech is fundamental to post-secondary institutions and to society as a whole,” Mr. Docherty wrote.

“Both of these students are free to express their political opinions on campus, and University administrators will not interfere in their right to do so,” he wrote. “Students can express differing opinions in a respectful way to increase understanding of each other’s views. Universities play a critical role in society as places where students and other groups can share and listen to different perspectives in a respectful and peaceful way. We will continue to protect this freedom of expression.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-sparks-outra/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“He is allowed to wear the hat,” she wrote. “As a student, I disagree with what the hat represents. I have diverse friends (culturally and sexually) who would drop a class if the person wearing the hat was sitting in the room with them, because they would feel unsafe. Given the deeper issues of intolerance and oppression represented by the hat, I disagree with it.”
    If they are afraid of a theme like Make American Great Again, then they are the problem, not the people wearing the hat, not Trump Supporters, and not Donald J Trump.

It's a real shame that Democrats, Hillary Clinton and the CORRUPT NEWS MEDIA have made students feel uncomfortable or "afraid" to the point of dropping a class if they see the hat. But then, these are smart students who should really know better than to believe the bunk being spun by Democrats, so I have no sympathy for them. And that punk who snatched the hat off the head of that nice Trump Supporter, well, I know what would have happened in my hometown in the Midwest if you snatched someone's hat of their head, they would chase you down and get their hat back, and you would have been the one arrested for stealing and disturbing the peace. Plain and simple.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    A video showing an angry student snatching a Donald Trump hat off another student’s head has caused outrage at one Canadian university. (YouTube/@UnbrokenSymmetry)

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Saturday, September 17, 2016

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-sparks-outra/

What!? "They would feel unsafe"? Aren't "they" the "aggressors" in this story? Does anyone care about the student wearing the hat? Does she realize that maybe if he walked into a class full of people of color and crazy extreme feminists that he might feel compelled to drop the class because of the tension in the air due to a white male's presence?

I for one am sick and tired of the propaganda that is turning all others against the white male. This country was founded and developed primarily by white males. This is the country where white males saw folly in their ways and fought a war for the freedoms of the others. This is the country while under white male rule, awarded rights to women and minoritys. This is the country while under white rule, allowed millions of poor peoples from foreign lands the opportunity of freedom and prosperity.
    How about a little appreciation for the heritage of the white men that helped to free you so that one day you could steal a man's property (in this case a hat) and not be lynched!

What oppression? With the affirmative action polices of today, people of color and women have more access to college tuition grants, job placement, and construction contract awards than white men. I personally think these programs are RACIST against whites. They go against true capitalist competition and equality.

--Make America Great Again!...Remove affirmative action and restore true equality!

*Note: I realize this happened in Canada and not the U.S. I do not think that makes my point any less valid. I also realize no people of color were directly involved in this confrontation. However, in the past, in the deep south, white sympathizers were lynched too.
    Last edited by Goldendaze; 09-18-2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added Note

“He is allowed to wear the hat,” she wrote. “As a student, I disagree with what the hat represents. I have diverse friends (culturally and sexually) who would drop a class if the person wearing the hat was sitting in the room with them, because they would feel unsafe.
    Oh paleeze - it is the Trump protesters that are assaulting Trump supporters. No incidences of vice versa.