Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Supreme Court rejects free speech appeal over Cinco de Mayo school dispute

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Supreme Court rejects free speech appeal over Cinco de Mayo school dispute

By Lawrence Hurley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left intact an appeals court ruling that school officials in California did not violate the free speech rights of students by demanding they remove T-shirts bearing images of the U.S. flag at an event celebrating the Mexican holiday of Cinco de Mayo.

The court declined to hear an appeal filed by three students at Live Oak High School in the town of Morgan Hill, south of San Francisco. School staff at the May 5, 2010, event told several students their clothing could cause an incident. Two chose to leave for home after refusing to turn their shirts inside out.

The school had been experiencing gang-related tensions and racially charged altercations between white and Hispanic students at the time. School officials said they feared the imposition of American patriotic imagery by some students at an event where other students were celebrating their pride in their Mexican heritage would incite fights between the two groups.

Lawyers for the students said that the fear that the T-shirts would offend others did not trump free speech rights because the act of wearing the shirts did not rise to the level of incitement to violence.

Three of the affected students - Daniel Galli, Matt Dariano, and Dominic Maciel - were involved in the lawsuit, which was filed on their behalf by their parents.

In the February 2014 ruling, the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said officials did not violate the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech. School officials acted out of legitimate concerns of violence when they sent a handful of students home for refusing to change their American flag-embellished apparel, the court said.

The case is Dariano v. Morgan Hill Unified School District, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 14-720.

(Reporting by Lawrence Hurley; Editing by Will Dunham)

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-...142019486.html

Oh my God I cant believe our own Supreme Court shirked their responsibility to Americans once again!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm torn on this one, I really am, and here's why. I believe schools have the right to establish a dress code and I don't know if this dress code issue was fairly ordered or not. If other students were allowed to wear national t-shirts from another nation, then US students were discriminated against for not being allowed to wear theirs. If other students were not allowed to wear national t-shirts from another nation, then I don't see the discrimination.

The suit was filed as a Free Speech issue under the 1st Amendment, but students do not have free speech in public schools and never have had that right in public schools. Schools can control what you wear, what you say, what you do and what you write. They are learning institutions with disciplinary and orderly conduct responsibilities with broad rights to regulate behavior, but they can not discriminate in the manner in which they do that.

Provided other students were allowed to wear national t-shirts but the 3 plaintiffs in this case were not, then they should file another suit under the 14th Amendment instead of the 1st amendment, and their issue would be ethnic discrimination based on nation or origin instead of free speech.
    Last edited by Judy; 03-31-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn