Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Suspect arrested after Escondido fatal hit-and-run crash

Suspect arrested after fatal hit-and-run crash

By: North County Times

ESCONDIDO ---- A 19-year-old San Marcos man was arrested after a fatal crash Saturday night that left an Escondido motorcyclist dead, police said.

Suspect Ericel Garcia is suspected of striking the motorcyclist, Thomas Icenogle, 51, at the intersection of Mission Avenue and Metcalf Street at 8:19 p.m. and then fleeing the area, Lt. Mike Loarie said. Responding paramedics pronounced Icenogle dead at the scene.

About nine minutes after the crash was reported, a white GMC Yukon sports utility vehicle matching witnesses' descriptions was found in the 1000 block of Rock Springs Road, Loarie said. Two men, including Garcia, were found near the vehicle.

Garcia was booked into the Vista jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and driving without a license, Loarie said.

Anyone with information on the crash is asked to call Escondido police at (760) 839-4722.

Comments On This Story

* Some of the Comments are too Emotional and Graphic to Post here,
    If you are interested, please see the North County Times Web page.

This is the second fatal Hit and Run Accident by an unlicensed driver in the last few months. It is now estimated that 1 in 20 drivers in some areas of Escondido are unlicensed.

During just one DUI / Driver's License Check Point held last week, 27 cars were seized and impounded in a little over two hours.

Driver's license check points are starting to be held here weekly, but it only takes a few hours to get 40 or more cars and I think they have no place to put them.

And you wonder why there are problems in Escondido and people are starting to get frustrated.

R/ Skip

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _14_07.txt

STORY version 2

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _15_07.txt

Ingrid wrote on April 17, 2007 5:51 PM:"I wonder how long before the next fatal hit and run accident in Escondido, and if the story will receive the proper coverage and attention. I can understand why there was little news on the last one and so far little news on this one, but what about the next, and the one after that? How long will innocent people be jeopardized by unlicensed and untrained drivers, driving cars in Escondido?"

Brenda wrote on April 17, 2007 6:10 PM:"Whether the driver that killed my cousin was an ilegal alein or legal doesn't really seem to matter to my family. What matters is that a life was lost and the person that took that life could just drive away? How cold and how could you just go on not knowing if that person was dead or alive and desperately neededing help.That is the real issue. I have lost my cousin my Aunt has lost ber beloved son that wound will never heal. But in reality the greatest wound is the total lack of regard for life."

To Tom's Friend wrote on April 17, 2007 7:31 PM:"First of all, my condolences. I've yet to lose someone in this manner but I figure it's just gonna be a matter of time. It really sucks. Your ironical story has my stomach turned upside down right now. My parents are ready to leave San Diego and I'm ready to go too. It amazes me that so few U.S. citizens realize we have a HUGE PROBLEM that's getting worse BY THE MINUTE. It's the biggest case of denial I've ever seen. I ask that you share this story with everyone you can so that more may become educated. Gracias, yo tambien hablo espanol y quiero una munda mejor. "

Adam wrote on April 18, 2007 11:45 AM:"I keep trying to post the links for previous Escondido Hit and run stories, and they are not being posted. I count three hit and runs with fatalities, since December 11, 2006 in Escondido. Two of them were by unlicensed drivers, and the third driver was never found. I am starting to track the events since no one else seems to be. In 4 months, there have been 3 fatal hit-and-runs in Escondido, unless I missed some."

Tom's Niece wrote on Apr 18, 2007 05:13 pm:

" Indeed Mr. Icenogle has a family. He has a wife who adored him for 18 years. He also leaves behind three children, and two grandchildren. He also has four brothers and sisters, and a Mother still living. We will all miss him deeply. As a friend of his says on the blog, he would give ANYONE the shirt off his back. Didn't matter to him about skin color, ethnic background, or anything else. To Tom a person was a person, no matter. This has been a devastating shock to our family and friends. I really don't think a concern right now is whether this fella that took him away from us too soon is an illegal or not. The fact simply remains that it's an injustice that needs to be turned into a justice by the courts. We miss you Uncle Tommy, and forever will. Love, Your Family and Friends. "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _15_07.txt

Thomas Icenogle, 51

ESCONDIDO - Thomas George Icenogle, 51, died of the injuries he received after being hit by a car while on his motorcycle, Saturday, April 14, 2007.

He was born Sept. 1, 1955, in Sidney, Ohio. He worked at Sound Image.

Mr. Icenogle was preceded in death by his father, Marion Icenogle.

He is survived by his wife of 18 years, Patricia Icenogle of Escondido; mother Marie Icenogle of Sidney, Ohio; son Jon of Escondido; daughters and son-in-law Dana and

Angie and Fred, all of Sidney; brothers and sisters-in-law Pat and Darlene and Mike and Debbie, all of Phoenix; sisters and brothers-in-law Anne and Gary and Linda and Bill, all of Troy; and two grandchildren.

Visitation and viewing are scheduled from 4 to 7 p.m. and funeral service at 7 p.m. today, April 19, at Eternal Hills Mortuary in Oceanside with Ralph Gault officiating.

Eternal Hills Mortuary is handling arrangements.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.