Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo through blogging this one's gotten thrown at me:

[quote]Tom Tancredo, member of the House of Representatives and candidate for the Republican nomination in 2008.

Congressman Tancredo voted in favor of starting a war in Iraq in 2002, and in 2004 he took to the floor of the House of Representatives to try to explain his vote, even in the context of the accelerating chaos in that country. Here’s part of what Tancredo said:

“Was Iraq the proper thing for us to do, the logical extension of our war against terror? Specifically, was it the right thing to do in our war against fundamentalist Islam? Because that is really what we are at war with. I agree with some of the comments made earlier by some of the folks over here that said that terror is not the thing with which we are at war. It is simply a tactic. I have said this on this floor many times and now for several years, and I am glad to hear it being repeated by others because, of course, it is important for us to understand who the enemy really is.

I think our friends on the other side did not go as far as they needed to go to actually describe them. It is fundamentalist Islam with which we are at war, make no mistake about it. And whether that fervor, that Islamic fervor leads you to do things like press for a separation from Russia because you want to create an Islamic republic, it is still fundamentalist Islam with which the world is at war. Or whether it manifests itself as it did here by planes crashing into buildings and into the Pentagon and into fields in Pennsylvania, it is fundamentalist Islam with which we are at war. Around the world, incidents occur. There are motivating factors that combine to create them, but when you sort of get to the bottom line, what is the common element? It is fundamentalist Islam.â€
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

Look back at archived news articles on Clinton's presidency and Iraq.

You will find that Bush's policy was actually a Clinton legacy. Bush enlarged the policy by taking troops in.

But Clinton bombed, without Congressional approval. Some Congresspeople said it was unconstitutional and politically motivated because of impeachment hearings etc.
    Clinton claimed there were WMD at the time, and that Saddam must step down as leader.
    Sanctions harmed perhaps more then Bush did.
    All in all, Tancredo and others can easily justify their stance based on Clinton's policy and a reasonble need to be more proactive after 9/11.

In 2002 many of us supported a war. Many of us supported the Iraq war.
    The President said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and this country was in eminent danger.

To me, that's pretty serious. We were in eminent danger 60 years ago and failed to see it. Consequently, we suffered a devastating surprise attack at Pearl Harbor.

Unfortunately, the President was WRONG ! His arguments for the Iraq war turned out to be false.

So, I don't criticize those who supported the war. I do have questions about continuing to support this war.

thanks to both of you thus far

Anybody for hitting the MSNBC politic board .. it is a jungle ..

http://boards.msn.com/MSNBCboards/threa ... did=497309

I opened the thread because of all of the other stuff that's been going on. While I am trying to relay information regarding illegals, I am not totally positioned in my stance as to who would get my vote BUT I am reading and learning.
    From the Border Movie:

I can't. I use linux and firefox. My client is an unsupported webclient.

There were also articles pointing out that Clinton was aware at the time that Iraq had no WMD

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=6463

You might want to look up Madeleine Albright, Secretary of States quotes on children killed by Clinton's program. As well as Clinton's speech when he started the bombing. Both him and Bush used almost identical rhetoric.

All very telling that even Iraq is not a partisan issue, but a polciy set by a group that holds sway over both parties.

thanks for the link, WMB
    From the Border Movie:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/848341/posts

[quote]1980-88. Chemical weapons are used extensively during Iran-Iraq war. Most are used by Iraq. Saddam is also believed to have used them against his own people, primarily Kurdish and Shiia minorities. First use during the war is by Iraq. By 1985 Iraq is producing 1,000 tons of various chemical weapons agents annually.
    During the war, Saddam appoints his cousin, Ali Hasan al-Majid, as his deputy in the north. In 1987-88, al-Majid led the "Anfal" campaign of attacks on Kurdish villages. All villages within 20 kilometers of the Iranian border are ruthlessly destroyed, and many are attacked with chemical weapons. Amnesty International estimates that more than 100,000 Kurds were killed or “disappearedâ€
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by wmb1957
    You might want to look up Madeleine Albright, Secretary of States quotes on children killed by Clinton's program. As well as Clinton's speech when he started the bombing. Both him and Bush used almost identical rhetoric.

All very telling that even Iraq is not a partisan issue, but a polciy set by a group that holds sway over both parties.
    Hit the nail on the head!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)