Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo's Washington Times Editorial July 13, 2007

Tancredo discusses how President Eisenhower handled deportation in the 50s.

Eisenhower and illegals
    By Tom Tancredo
    July 13, 2007

When the Senate's amnesty bill met its inglorious end on June 28, the American people dodged a bullet. With amnesty legislation now off the table, it is time to get serious about border control and enforcement of our nation's immigration laws. Maybe we can learn something from the way President Eisenhower handled the same problem in 1953, when he moved into the White House.

Eisenhower was faced with a porous border that saw a million illegal aliens apprehended in 1951, and the total number of illegal aliens in the country was estimated to be above 3 million.

The "Bracero" program brought legal agricultural workers to the Southwest from Mexico beginning in 1942, when the region faced a genuine labor shortage due to World War II. But by 1953, the program had deteriorated into a corrupt system for importing cheap labor for Texas and California employers. The contract laborers had by then discovered that they could leave the farms and make equal or better wages in Los Angeles, Dallas and Phoenix. Sound familiar? The sheep ranchers of Colorado and Wyoming make the same complaint about the contract sheep herders they bring from Peru and Portugal.

more here:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbc ... /EDITORIAL

Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting this information.

Yes, and I am pretty sure that the problems brought on to this country by "Bracero", and the corruption, and problems which happened after (but do to) Bracero, were quickly eliminated by "Operation Wetback".

Well, it is TRUELY time for "Op Wetback II". Round'm up, and send them HOME. Now!

H.

Operation Wet#$%&

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    Yes, and I am pretty sure that the problems brought on to this country by "Bracero", and the corruption, and problems which happened after (but do to) Bracero, were quickly eliminated by "Operation R******R".

Well, it is TRUELY time for "Op R******R II". Round'm up, and send them HOME. Now!

H.
    Operation Wet#$%& was a true success.

Re: Operation Wet#$%&

Quote Originally Posted by tancredofan
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    Yes, and I am pretty sure that the problems brought on to this country by "Bracero", and the corruption, and problems which happened after (but do to) Bracero, were quickly eliminated by "Operation R******R".

Well, it is TRUELY time for "Op R******R II". Round'm up, and send them HOME. Now!

H.
    Operation Wet#$%& was a true success.
    Funny, that we can not post about a official US government program, without being censored by the auto-word remover of the site

H.

My understanding, which may be inaccurate, is that part of the success of the Eisenhower program was that bus loads of the illegals were driven deep into the interior of Mexico, making it far more difficult to return.

BTW, who pays for deportation? Mr. Tancredo made mention of the BOA cards possessed by many illegals, but I just don't see them ponying up for their going home.

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but we don't want to forget it: Grassfire's "Where's the Fence?" TV ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SDkhwnEIo

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
    My understanding, which may be inaccurate, is that part of the success of the Eisenhower program was that bus loads of the illegals were driven deep into the interior of Mexico, making it far more difficult to return.

BTW, who pays for deportation? Mr. Tancredo made mention of the BOA cards possessed by many illegals, but I just don't see them ponying up for their going home.

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but we don't want to forget it: Grassfire's "Where's the Fence?" TV ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SDkhwnEIo

> BTW, who pays for deportation?

A 30% transfer tax added to any funds transfers by non-US citizens from US to Mex would probably easily cover that.

H.