Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Teens Killed College Baseball Player For “The Fun Of It”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Teens Killed College Baseball Player For “The Fun Of It”

CBS
    August 19, 2013 9:51 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — An Australian man attending an Oklahoma college on a baseball scholarship was shot and killed in what police described Monday as a random act of violence by three “bored” teenagers who decided to kill someone for the fun of it.

Christopher Lane, 22, of Melbourne, was found dead Friday while visiting the town of Duncan, where his girlfriend lives. Three boys, ages 15, 16, and 17, are in custody and face a court appearance Tuesday afternoon.

Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said Monday a woman called 911 after she saw Lane stagger across the road and fall to the ground in the south-central Oklahoma town of about 24,000 residents. Ford said Lane, who was staying with his girlfriend and her family in Duncan, had jogged past a home where the three boys were staying. He said the shooting appeared to be completely random.

Autopsy results are pending. Ford wouldn’t say how many times Lane was shot.

Ford said the 17-year-old has given a detailed confession to police, but that investigators have not been able to locate the murder weapon.

“They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: ‘There’s our target,’” Ford said. “The boy who has talked to us said: ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.’

“They followed him in the car to that area, shot him in the back and drove off,” Ford said.

He said the district attorney is expected to file first-degree murder charges Tuesday, and all three will be arraigned at Stephens County District Court. It wasn’t known if the three will be charged as adults or as juveniles.

Sarah Harper, Lane’s girlfriend, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. that the two had only returned to the United States from Australia last week.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/08/19/t...the-fun-of-it/
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

August 19, 2013
    Formal charges coming in shooting death of Australian man

By Mike Smith The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — Formal charges are expected to be filed Tuesday in the death of a 22-year-old Australian man gunned down while jogging in Duncan in what police say was a random, drive-by shooting by three teenage boys.

Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said one of the suspects, a 17-year-old, told police the teens were bored on Friday and “they just wanted to se some die, or kill someone.”

Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks said charges were not filed Monday because his office needed more time to review police reports and other evidence.

Three male teenagers from Duncan — ages 15, 16 and 17 — were arrested a few hours after Chris Lane was shot and killed around 3 p.m. Friday while he was jogging along Country Club Road on Duncan’s north side.

The boys were in a house on Country Club Road when they saw Lane jogging north on the road, Ford said. They drove by and one fired a shot into Lane’s back, leaving him to die.

The three teens were being held on murder complaints but Hicks said no formal charges would be filed until Tuesday. He declined to say what the charges would be or whether any or all of the teens would be tried as adults.

“We needed an extra day to look at it,” Hicks said.

Ford said the 17-year-old suspect implicated the 16-year-old as the one who pulled the trigger while the three drove by in a car. The 17-year-old was the only one providing any details, he said.

Stephens County Sheriff Wayne McKinney said the teens were being isolated from one another and other inmates at the Stephens County Jail.

Police have not found the gun or bullet casing but Ford said statements made by the 17-year-old lead police to think it might have been a revolver.

Lane is a baseball player at East Central University in Ada and had only returned to Oklahoma from his native Australia three days prior to his death. He was staying with his girlfriend and her family in Duncan.

Ford discounted speculation that the shooting might have been gang-related.

“Gangs shoot each other, they don’t shoot people walking down the street,” he said.

Jennifer Luna of Duncan, who said she was the mother of the 16-year-old being held, said Monday that she had been unable to have contact with her son or get any information about possible charges.

“If he was involved he needs to be punished, but I do believe in my heart that he did not pull the trigger,” said Luna, crying as she spoke with reporters in the lobby of the Stephens County Courthouse.

Luna said she knew the other two teens who were arrested and she had asked one of them to quit coming to her house. She said she didn’t think the other boy could “ever have been involved in something like this.”

She said her own son — the 16-year-old — had been kicked out of Duncan High School last year because there had been two deaths in the family and he had the flu and fell behind.

She said he was scheduled to return as a sophomore at Duncan High when classes began on Tuesday after the summer break.

“He said, Mom, I’m ready to go back, I’m ready to do something with my life,’” Luna said.

She said the boys were not involved in gangs.

“These are wannabes down here and they talk all this stuff and they are just young kids.” she said. “This has nothing to do with gang-related.

“I just don’t understand these kids, I really don’t. I don’t know why they had to prove a point, I just don’t understand. I tell my kids all the time, ‘Make something out of your lives because this is hard.”’

Luna said she was a single parent and worked hard to make ends meet. Her heart went out to Lane’s family, she said.

“I feel for them, I really do and I apologize,” she said.

The three boys were tracked down with the help of video surveillance from businesses in Duncan and from a caller who said the teens had guns and wanted to kill someone.

Police found the teens near a black vehicle in the parking lot of Immanuel Baptist Church early Friday evening. A dismantled shotgun was found in the vehicle, but that was not the weapon used to shoot Lane in the back.

Ford, as well as Sheriff McKinney, said Duncan was a pretty safe community overall despite the shooting, but it was a reminder that no place is immune from violence.

- See more at: http://duncanbanner.com/breakingnews....egvCXtkn.dpuf
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Police: ECU Baseball Player, Australian Native Target Of Random Killing
    Posted: Aug 19, 2013 7:21 PM CST Updated: Aug 19, 2013 10:53 PM CST
    By News9.com - email
    By Lisa Monahan, News 9

Lane was shot while he was jogging on Friday afternoon. He died on the side of the road.

DUNCAN, Oklahoma -

A college baseball player was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in Duncan. Duncan Police say three juveniles were on a killing spree when they shot 23-year-old Australian native Christopher Lane.

Lane was in town visiting a friend when he was randomly killed.

Duncan Police say it appears the teenagers were keeping a log of the crimes on their Facebook pages. They believe the young suspects killed an animal before shooting Christopher Lane, and were set to kill again just four hours after his murder.

8/18/2013 Related Story: 3 Juveniles Arrested In Murder Of ECU Baseball Player, Australian National

Investigators say the teenagers allegedly wanted to see someone die and randomly chose Christopher Lane as their target.

Lane was shot while he was jogging on Friday afternoon. He died on the side of the road.

More than 14,000 people have questioned the motive for the senseless killing on a Facebook page dedicated to Lane's memory. But police cannot say much about the details of the murder unless charges are filed against the juveniles.

Their parents can, though. Jennifer Luna says the three accused, her 16-year-old son Chancey Luna, and his friends James Edwards and Michael Jones are a part of a "wannabe gang." But she is confident her son is not a killer.

"I know in my heart he didn't pull that trigger," Luna said.

But Luna says if evidence shows her son was involved in the death of Christopher Lane, then she would expect him to be held responsible.

District Attorney Jason Hicks will now decide if the teenagers should be tried as adults.

Charges are expected to be filed on Tuesday.

http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=23177362

From article comments:

R.d. Crowley · Works at Self employed
    Its a shame on our media for not taking this case national 3 black young men kill a tottally innocent white boy wheres the ncaa on this one??? Wheres jesse jackson and al sharpton?? Why are they not rushing to these guys defense??? Just saying????RDC
    Reply · 6 ·
    · 8 hours ago

Saundra Walling Mackey · Tax Consultant at H & R Block
    1 is black, 1 is Hispanic, and 1 is Caucasian
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 08-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.

From the blog ..

I talked to someone.

I've got names, but they haven't been actually released yet, so I'll refrain from sharing them here. It appears it may have been gang related. I'm being told there is a chance he was targeted because he was white. The shooters were not. One of them is multiracial. I'm not sure race had as much to do with it as meanness.

Rotten little bastards should be drug out behind the court house and each shot once in the head and then their sorry asses dumped in the trash. I'm not sorry I feel that way. I've had it with this kinda shit. Screw justice. I want a little retribution. ***damn it, this pisses me off to no end. Little pukes do not deserve to continue to exist on this earth. If you cause this kind of pain, heartache and loss, and you do it just for the thrill of watching someone die, you've forfeited your right to life. Rotten little bastards.

jakeman, Yesterday at 3:00 PM

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/a...lahoma.170671/

Australian Christopher Lane killed in drive-by shooting while jogging in Oklahoma

This is pretty big news over here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-1...lahoma/4895152

The father of a Melbourne baseballer who was shot dead while jogging in Oklahoma says his son was a "talented, intelligent kid" who was "just on the cusp of making his life".

VIDEO: Peter and Donna Lane address the media in Melbourne (ABC News)

Christopher Lane, 22, was jogging in the small town of Duncan on Friday when he was shot in the back in a drive-by.

Police have arrested three teenagers aged 15, 16 and 17.

They will be charged with first-degree murder and could potentially face the death penalty.

Lane was on a baseball scholarship at East Central University and was reportedly two weeks away from celebrating his 23rd birthday.

He had just returned to the US from a trip back to Australia with his girlfriend Sarah, and was believed to have only been staying at her residence for about three days before the incident.

Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said the shooting appears to have been a random, unprovoked attack and he had not seen anything like it in 30 years of law enforcement.

"He apparently was jogging, he went by a residence where these three boys were, they picked him as a target, they went out and got in a vehicle and followed him," Chief Ford told the ABC's AM program.

"[They] came up from behind and basically shot him in the back with a small calibre weapon. Then sped away."

PHOTO: Christopher Lane was studying at an American university on a baseball scholarship. (Essendon Baseball Club)

Chief Ford said the murder weapon was yet to be recovered but was believed to be of low-calibre and likely to have been stolen.

Lane's shattered parents Peter and Donna addressed the media this morning at Essendon Baseball Club in Melbourne, where their son had been a member before heading to the US.

"He was just a normal kid, he gave up a lot to follow his dream," Mr Lane said.

"He was an intelligent kid and he made good life choices.

"He caused us some grief, caused us so much joy.

"He was just a kid on the cusp of making his life.

"He had a good life... why it was taken away is so pointless."

Choking back tears, Mrs Lane added: "We're all lucky that he was here for that period of time."

Victorian Premier Denis Napthine said the murder was an "absolute tragedy".

"This is an absolute tragedy, for a young man to be murdered at the prime of his life when he's on the verge of a great career in his chosen sport of baseball," he said.

"Our hearts go out to his family, his friends, and all in the Victorian baseball community who'll be suffering at the moment."

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/a...lahoma.170671/

Three teens accused of murder of baseball player Chris Lane identified

• AARON LANGMAID, SAMANTHA LANDY
    • Herald Sun
    • August 20, 2013 2:30PM

The young men allegedly accused of killing Melbourne-born baseball star Christopher Lane - James Edwards, 15, Chancey Luna, 16, and Michael Jones, 17. Picture: Channel 7 News

THE images of three youths police say murdered Melbourne baseballer Christopher Lane have emerged.

The Oklahoma teens who face first-degree murder charges have been named as Chancey Luna, James Edwards and Michael Jones.

But their parents yesterday protested their innocence.

Jennifer Luna, whose son is suspected of firing the fatal shot, claimed her son was at home saying: "My son is not that way. My son is a good kid."

Earlier today, former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer has urged Australian tourists to boycott the US in the wake of the shooting murder of the Melbourne baseball star.
    Mr Fischer said he was deeply angered by the latest tragedy and said turning our backs on America would help send a stern message about the need for tighter gun control.
    Christopher Lane, 22, was randomly gunned down while jogging through the town of Duncan in Oklahoma on Friday afternoon local time.

Mr Fischer, who led Australia's gun control reforms alongside former prime minister John Howard in 1996, said choosing not to travel to the US would help build pressure on the US Congress to finally act.

"Tourists thinking of going to the USA should think twice,'' Mr Fischer said.
    "This is the bitter harvest and legacy of the policies of the NRA that even blocked background checks for people buying guns at gunshows.

"People should take this into account before going to the United States.
    "I am deeply angry about this because of the callous attitude of the three teenagers (but) it's a sign of the proliferation of guns on the ground in the USA.
    "There is a gun for almost every American.''

Chris Lane wears his baseball equipment in Australia. Picture: Essendon Baseball Club

Meanwhile, Lane's American girlfriend today revealed her heartbreak at losing her "best friend", and parents of the accused protested their innocence.

Sarah Harper, 23, also told the Herald Sun that she didn't know what punishment would be appropriate of the three teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17 years, accused of Lane's murder.

It comes as Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said he had secured the confession of the 17-year-old who summoned investigators to his jail cell and claimed he and the younger boys were bored "so they decided to kill somebody".

"He said he was the driver of the car," Chief Ford said.

"They saw Christopher jog by the house they were at, they chose him to be the target, they got in the car, drove up behind him and shot him in the back.

"He said the 16-year-old fired the shot."

The three teenagers are being held in the Stephens County Jail in Duncan.

The trio were due to appear in a local court over the shooting at 1.30pm Monday (4.30am Tuesday AEST), but it has been pushed back a day.

A spokesperson for District Attorney Jason Hicks said the charges were still being reviewed.

Lane, who grew up in Oak Park in Melbourne's north, had only been back in the US for three days after an eight-week break in Australia with Ms Harper.

"I don't want them to have any future that Chris wasn't able to have as well," Ms Harper said of the accused teenagers today.

"It's been pretty rough. It's been hard knowing he was taken so close to home, let alone taken in the way he was. To be pointed out like that …"

Ms Harper said she and Lane had joked about America's soft gun laws before he was shot.

"He wasn't a fan of guns," she said.

She fondly described Lane as a smart, kind and curious guy who would "do anything for anybody".

Ms Harper, also a talented sportswoman, said she and Lane just "meshed together" within weeks of meeting at college in Oklahoma in August 2009.

"It was more of a personality (we had in common), not so much interests. He was intellectual, into world news, and I found that quite boring," she said.

"He really wanted to travel more. He loved the idea of seeing the world."

Two of the accused teens' parents insist they were not involved in the killing.

"That's my baby boy," said the mother of the 16-year-old accused of firing the single bullet from a handgun into the back of Mr Lane.

She doesn't believe her son was involved in the shooting, saying today he was not a member of a gang and definitely not the one who pulled the trigger.

The father of the 15-year-old accused of being in the car admitted his son had been in some previous "kid stuff" trouble with the law, but described him as a good boy who also was not part of a gang.

"I don't think so," the father replied when asked if his son could have been part of the murder.

"Because he's not the type of person. He likes to wrestle. He's into sports."

The two teens have suffered tragic lives, their parents said. The 15-year-old's mother is in jail. The 16-year-old last year dealt with the death of his stepfather and brother.
    The parents of the teens sent their condolences to Lane's family in Australia and Ms Harper.

"My prayers go out to them," the father said.

"I have lost several loved ones recently myself. I feel sorry for the individuals and family."

Chris Lane was gunned down in Duncan, Oklahoma.

If convicted of first-degree murder, the boys face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The boys can be tried as adults, but the spokesperson said because they are under the age of 18 they can't face a death sentence.

Ms Harper today said the accused "will be taken care of eventually".

Ms Harper said she wasn't thinking about the killers at the moment.

"I don't really care what happens to them,'' she told the Nine Network.

"I feel that if they don't get what they deserve now in the present they will eternally.
    "They're evil people and they'll be taken care of eventually.''

It comes amid claims Lane was the victim of a gang-related drive-by shooting gone wrong.

Outside the court a woman told reporters the three accused teens had a falling out with a fellow gang member.

She told Channel Nine the teens were angry when they set out and wanted her brother dead.

"I guess he has hung out with gang-affiliated people. I don't know if he's really claimed it or tried to be like them so that might be a reason why they're after him," she said.

However Chief Ford yesterday said the accused "just wanted to kill someone".
    Chief Ford said the three teens had no motive other than to ''make a name for themselves'' and were on their way to another house to murder a second, unrelated victim when they were arrested.

Lane's death a tragedy with no rhyme or reason

Christopher Lane’s mother and sister.

Lane had been in the US on a baseball sports scholarship with East Central University (ECU) as the team's catcher.

He was jogging through an area of "high dollar homes" after leaving Ms Harper's home, when he was followed and shot.

Witnesses saw him stumble across the road and then go down on his knees before struggling to a drainage area at the side of the road.

'I love you so much': girlfriend's moving tribute to baseball star

A woman who came from a nearby house tried CPR while another woman who was in a car stopped and called 911.

Ms Lane said she would come back to Australia to farewell Lane with his family.
    "I'm probably going to go back and say goodbye with the people he loved the most," she said.

"It was a great time getting back there and seeing him in his element with all his favourite friends.

"It's going to be hard going back but it's something I need to do.

"Thank you to everyone who supported and loved Chris. I really appreciated it."

A tribute left on the home plate at Essendon Bombers Baseball field for murdered Melbourne baseballer Christopher Lane.

Chief Ford said yesterday the attack was not racially motivated.

"It was just three clowns who got together and decided to kill,'' he said.

Chief Ford said the police had released the body but was unsure of plans to repatriate Lane's body back to Melbourne.

He also said the killer left a chilling message on Facebook before the spree - "Bang. Two drops in two hours".

"They wanted to be Billy Bob Badasses," Chief Ford said yesterday.
    "I think they were on a killing spree.

"We would have had more bodies that night if we didn't get them.

Christopher Lane with girlfriend, Sarah Harper. Supplied: Facebook

"Lately there has been some pretty weak motives, but I don't know that I've had one that they told us they were just going to kill somebody.

"I know everybody thinks there has to be a reason, but I've been in this business for 30 years and there doesn't have to be a reason with these kids.

"It is a sad, sad thing what happened with that young man."

Yesterday, shocked family and friends were trying to make sense of the tragedy.

Peter Lane paid tribute to his son and said the family was still waiting on news from the US authorities regarding the repatriation of the body.

Christopher Lane’s devastated family.

"There is not going to be any good come out of this. It was so senseless. There was nothing he did or could have done," Mr Lane said.

"It's happened. It's wrong and we just try and deal with it the best we can."
    Flowers and a baseball were placed on the home plate at Essendon Baseball Club yesterday morning with a message. "A wonderful young man taken too soon," it read.

"Why?"

College friend Marshall Veal added Lane had "brought light to each of us''.
    "Lanes would have done anything in the world for all of us and we would do the same, he was a best friend, teammate, and most of all a Brother. We love you Laney."

Local Bill Renfrow, who lives just metres from the intersection where Lane was shot, said Duncan locals had erected a flower memorial for him at the site of the attack.
    "It's sad to us, more than anything. It's shocking. He was a visitor in our country," he said.

"This is a very quiet neighbourhood, there's never any trouble here."
    Essendon Baseball Club's match against the University of Melbourne on Sunday will be turned into a tribute to Lane to raise money for the family.

- with Stephen Drill Andy Burns and AAP

Christopher Lane and girlfriend, Sarah Harper. Supplied: Facebook
    http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226700172461

HATE CRIME: Young Man Slaughtered by "Urban Youths" He thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast