Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    I use to believe in bush... now I see only FEAR TATICS!!! He used them to get re elected, for the war...and now this!
    I am NOT buying his LIES anymore!!!

NO to the bailout!!! Period!!!!!!!!!!! bush CANNOT BE TRUSTED!!!!!!
    I totally agree with you. I knew Bush was going to get on TV and scare us all into believeing in his scam. How many times has he done this with IRAQ and terrorism? Pretty typical of this administration.

Let these banks fail and put some CEO's in jail for causing this mess.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

April
    ANOTHER DAY TO SHOUT NO BAIL OUT!!!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

TALK RADIO LIST:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-76263.html

U.S. SENATE AND HOUSE CONTACT INFORMATION:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-63874.html

TOLL FREE

Congressional Switchboard Numbers

800-833-6354
    866-340-9281
    877-762-8762
    866-808-0065
    888-355-3588
    866-220-0044

Called White House Comment line.

Operator finally understood I-9s, and said, "She would pass it on."

Whiskey Sierra
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I was just having this conversation with my Dad over the weekend. I was telling him I want to learn more survivalist tactics and what to do during a disaster/attack. There is a book out there called "When All Hell Breaks Loose". I can't remember the authors name, but I heard him talk about it on talk radio a few months back. Told you everything from how to store food, how much we should all have in storage, to what to do with your poop when there is no longer any running water.

I'd also like to learn how to can. Are there any good sources on the net for this?? I have already started buying food and water for storage.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

SicNTiredInSoCal

There is a lot of info on the net.

Just do some 'googling'.

Also, there is a site called 'Homesteading Today' - lots of people posting there.

Also, 'Backwoods Home Magaizine'.

On both these sites, I think there is survival information.

Both good places to spend time.

The Ball Blue Book is a very good source for canning instructions. Be sure to get a new one, however, as the USDA has brought out some new guidelines. The biggest change is 11 pounds pressure, rather an 10, for the lower altitudes.

Also, various states have extension offices. Just Google your states Extension Service, or in Texas we have County Agents and there is a Home Extension Service. They have good resources.

If you purchase a pressure cooker, be sure to have the guage checked, as they can get out of whack from one year to the next. There are two kinds, one that uses a pressure guage, and one that makes use of a weight that 'jiggles' when the correct pressure is raised. Then, there is the All American canner that has both, I'm thinking. I have to have guage to watch, but others are comfortable with the 'jiggler'.

Now finding someone to check that gauge may be a problem, at least here in Texas. They stopped doing it, but after I made several calls, they did decide some agents would do it, but only for checking Presto canners.
    I'm not sure why, but I got tired of calling, and just bought a new canner.

A pressure cooker seems formidable, but it isn't. After 40 years of canning, I still treat it with great respect, you are dealing with things under pressure.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, huh?

For decades I have been hearing about survival tactics, but NEVER thought the day would come when they would ACTUALLY be needed!

We have been living like that for a very long time. When my pantry gets low, I'm uncomfortable.

We usually try to keep enough food for at least 6 months, longer if we stretch it. We don't really do this conscciously, that's just the way it works out.

Some of that just comes from being raised on a farm, when you always had food canned or salted down. Then we raised our kids with our own homegrown food - so it's just a natural thing.

Also, we've never been truly down and out, but we've been in very tight spots before, and food, and other necessities, put back is a very nice feeling.

OK, true confession time, I'm an accumulator. I have enough fabric, thread, buttons, zippers, etc., to clothe a small town for a year.

Thanks for the tips nntrixie. Im a bit intimidated by canning. It looks time consuming and expensive to start out. I wish I had more land to grow more of my own food.

Yep, been stockpiling canned and dog food for a while now. I have read jellies and jams can be canned in whatever jar with a layer of plain old beeswax over the top when they have cooled. Raw eggs can also be preserved by dipping them in water to boil for about 10 seconds to solidify the shells.
    I am seriously thinking about digging a cellar underneath my deck to store things which could act as a root cellar, and many people in Scandinavia have them under older houses as it stays a fairly constant temperature.
    Another good source of survivalism are the boaters that cruise all over the world, for there are some great tips on recipes and food preservation.
    Will try to find a website, but it has been years since I warmed up canned soup on the diesel engine or cooked over the kerosene heater.

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    We have been living like that for a very long time. When my pantry gets low, I'm uncomfortable.

We usually try to keep enough food for at least 6 months, longer if we stretch it. We don't really do this conscciously, that's just the way it works out.

Some of that just comes from being raised on a farm, when you always had food canned or salted down. Then we raised our kids with our own homegrown food - so it's just a natural thing.

Also, we've never been truly down and out, but we've been in very tight spots before, and food, and other necessities, put back is a very nice feeling.

OK, true confession time, I'm an accumulator. I have enough fabric, thread, buttons, zippers, etc., to clothe a small town for a year.
    OK folks, here is the plan, when all goes to hell in a handbasket, we all move in with nntrixie
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast