Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    Okay, I just called. She said she would add me to the polling list and said they were receiving a lot of calls on this. She requested my zip code and said she would pass the request along.

I also sent the Senator an email. Hope it helps.
    Cool great going!
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

On the Web: Senators, states beat up on REAL ID plans : www.web2announcer.com/go/2562631

This link redirects you to the story in 10 seconds.

I don't have a problem with the Real ID act. However, for security reasons, I would like each individual state to handle it. Since I have to live with the internet as a dial-up communicator, nothing takes 10 seconds. What is the problem with the real ID act??

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown
    I don't have a problem with the Real ID act. However, for security reasons, I would like each individual state to handle it. Since I have to live with the internet as a dial-up communicator, nothing takes 10 seconds. What is the problem with the real ID act??
    I think this piece does a pretty concise job of deatialing the problems with REAL ID: www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/2105

What's right with it?

Those who oppose the Real ID are in agreement
    with the OBL crowd. They despise and have more
    to hide and fear from the Real ID than a US
    citizen concerned about his privacy.

REAL ID Struggles Across the Country
    NYCPP Statement on Driver's Licenses and REAL ID
    1/15: New York Civic Participation Project (NYCPP)
    Last week, the Department of Homeland Security released the new regulations for the REAL ID Act and set the deadline for
    states compliance for 2011. No new regulations or extended deadlines can make the REAL ID Act acceptable policy. We
    continue to oppose local implementation of the REAL ID Act and urge the Federal government to abandon it.
    The REAL ID Act is a misguided attempt by the federal government to marginalize an entire group of immigrants in the name
    of national security that has negative consequences for all Americans. REAL ID creates a costly and complicated national ID
    system that raises serious privacy and civil liberties concerns for everyone. It does nothing to reform our dysfunctional
    immigration system and hampers states from dealing with the reality of millions of immigrants who contribute to local
    economies and to the communities in which they live.
    As those of us who worked for immigrant access to driver’s licenses in New York know too well, this is another example of
    how the federal government continues to put pressure on states to incorporate anti-immigrant policies.
    The New York Civic Participation Project (NYCPP) has taken the months following our driver's license fight to discuss and
    analyze the state-wide campaign in a national context. Our vision for what comes next is based on our assessment of the
    current political climate and an analysis of the New York campaign as it played out in the last four years, and especially the
    last few months. We believe that the driver’s license campaign holds lessons that we need to learn from in order to build
    power for the immigrant rights movement as we move forward.
    Last month on December 1st, we held a Dialogue on Driver’s Licenses where over 100 NYCPP members and allies came
    together to discuss the campaign. Specifically, we analyzed the internal and external circumstances of the driver's license
    campaign which led us to win fair access to driver's licenses for immigrant communities, but then to lose that major victory in
    an aftermath of significant backlash. Our dialogue led to some of the following conclusions: We were able to convince the
    Spitzer administration to make the policy change because we built a diverse coalition that included labor, community and
    religious allies; we built a base of workers and community members who informed our work and became public spokespeople
    for the campaign; we put effective pressure on the administration through mobilizations, call-in days and inside political
    pressure by labor groups. The elected officials representing the neighborhoods where our base held them accountable
    became the most outspoken supporters of the campaign in the final months.
    However, it also became clear that we did not have the political power or an effective communications strategy to hold on to
    our victory. Elected officials who should have stood by us didn’t because many of them did not feel accountable to a base
    that supported immigrant access to driver’s licenses. We did not neutralize key stakeholders in the city or state that could
    have prevented this issue from becoming a partisan one. In a time where anti-immigrant, racist rhetoric dominates, we were
    not able to effectively communicate our message and persuade the broader public to support the Governor’s decision to
    provide access.
    The experience with driver’s licenses in New York state provides a local example of where we are nationally in the immigrant
    rights struggle. It is clear from our experiences that we need to build broader power in support of our issues. The work we
    are planning this year as NYCPP is directly connected to doing local work that will strengthen a national movement:

- Opposition to REAL ID and Continued Support for One License for All New Yorkers. We will continue to inform the
    Governor and other policymakers of our commitment to realizing one license for all New Yorkers and our opposition to REAL
    ID.

We will continue to support efforts to build a diverse coalition combating REAL ID in New York State and push the
    Governor to stand up for pro-immigrant policies.
    - Redefining Victory. We will continue to use the experience of driver’s licenses to build leadership among the base. NYCPP
    will hold trainings for its members on "What is a Victory" to remind our communities of the strength we have built and that our
    goal of building power for long-lasting change is happening in the process of working toward short-term policy changes. Too
    often we forget the small victories and accomplishments we have actually achieved by coming together and building our
    power. In the case of driver’s licenses, we were able to stop the suspensions Governor Pataki threatened, stopped the
    implementation of separate driver’s certificates for immigrants, passed the first and most powerful anti-REAL ID Resolution in
    the country and built a vocal, local base and leadership on this issue.
    - Launch an immigrant worker rights platform. We will convene several meetings to reengage our allies from the driver's
    license fight to create a pro-immigrant worker platform in New York City which we will highlight in a large forum in the
    Springtime.
    - Votas y Voces/ Votes & Voices. This year we are kicking off our program for electoral work. As we use this election year to
    build power in immigrant communities, we will connect this work to a broad pro-immigrant worker platform that represents the
    interests of the community. We will incorporate political education and trainings into this work using the experience of driver's
    licenses to emphasize the need to build political power in our communities.
    As we move forward this year, we believe that the lessons we have learned from our fight for driver's licenses can only make
    us stronger in the struggle for justice for immigrants communities. Reverend Clinton Miller from the Brown Memorial Baptist
    Church closed the December 1st event with an inspirational speech about struggle and building momentum for the fight
    ahead. In his words: "Every setback is a setup for a comeback."

http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Jan08.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by odiesback
    Those who oppose the Real ID are in agreement
    with the OBL crowd. They despise and have more
    to hide and fear from the Real ID than a US
    citizen concerned about his privacy.

REAL ID Struggles Across the Country
    NYCPP Statement on Driver's Licenses and REAL ID
    1/15: New York Civic Participation Project (NYCPP)
    Last week, the Department of Homeland Security released the new regulations for the REAL ID Act and set the deadline for
    states compliance for 2011. No new regulations or extended deadlines can make the REAL ID Act acceptable policy. We
    continue to oppose local implementation of the REAL ID Act and urge the Federal government to abandon it.
    The REAL ID Act is a misguided attempt by the federal government to marginalize an entire group of immigrants in the name
    of national security that has negative consequences for all Americans. REAL ID creates a costly and complicated national ID
    system that raises serious privacy and civil liberties concerns for everyone. It does nothing to reform our dysfunctional
    immigration system and hampers states from dealing with the reality of millions of immigrants who contribute to local
    economies and to the communities in which they live.
    As those of us who worked for immigrant access to driver’s licenses in New York know too well, this is another example of
    how the federal government continues to put pressure on states to incorporate anti-immigrant policies.
    The New York Civic Participation Project (NYCPP) has taken the months following our driver's license fight to discuss and
    analyze the state-wide campaign in a national context. Our vision for what comes next is based on our assessment of the
    current political climate and an analysis of the New York campaign as it played out in the last four years, and especially the
    last few months. We believe that the driver’s license campaign holds lessons that we need to learn from in order to build
    power for the immigrant rights movement as we move forward.
    Last month on December 1st, we held a Dialogue on Driver’s Licenses where over 100 NYCPP members and allies came
    together to discuss the campaign. Specifically, we analyzed the internal and external circumstances of the driver's license
    campaign which led us to win fair access to driver's licenses for immigrant communities, but then to lose that major victory in
    an aftermath of significant backlash. Our dialogue led to some of the following conclusions: We were able to convince the
    Spitzer administration to make the policy change because we built a diverse coalition that included labor, community and
    religious allies; we built a base of workers and community members who informed our work and became public spokespeople
    for the campaign; we put effective pressure on the administration through mobilizations, call-in days and inside political
    pressure by labor groups. The elected officials representing the neighborhoods where our base held them accountable
    became the most outspoken supporters of the campaign in the final months.
    However, it also became clear that we did not have the political power or an effective communications strategy to hold on to
    our victory. Elected officials who should have stood by us didn’t because many of them did not feel accountable to a base
    that supported immigrant access to driver’s licenses. We did not neutralize key stakeholders in the city or state that could
    have prevented this issue from becoming a partisan one. In a time where anti-immigrant, racist rhetoric dominates, we were
    not able to effectively communicate our message and persuade the broader public to support the Governor’s decision to
    provide access.
    The experience with driver’s licenses in New York state provides a local example of where we are nationally in the immigrant
    rights struggle. It is clear from our experiences that we need to build broader power in support of our issues. The work we
    are planning this year as NYCPP is directly connected to doing local work that will strengthen a national movement:

- Opposition to REAL ID and Continued Support for One License for All New Yorkers. We will continue to inform the
    Governor and other policymakers of our commitment to realizing one license for all New Yorkers and our opposition to REAL
    ID.

We will continue to support efforts to build a diverse coalition combating REAL ID in New York State and push the
    Governor to stand up for pro-immigrant policies.
    - Redefining Victory. We will continue to use the experience of driver’s licenses to build leadership among the base. NYCPP
    will hold trainings for its members on "What is a Victory" to remind our communities of the strength we have built and that our
    goal of building power for long-lasting change is happening in the process of working toward short-term policy changes. Too
    often we forget the small victories and accomplishments we have actually achieved by coming together and building our
    power. In the case of driver’s licenses, we were able to stop the suspensions Governor Pataki threatened, stopped the
    implementation of separate driver’s certificates for immigrants, passed the first and most powerful anti-REAL ID Resolution in
    the country and built a vocal, local base and leadership on this issue.
    - Launch an immigrant worker rights platform. We will convene several meetings to reengage our allies from the driver's
    license fight to create a pro-immigrant worker platform in New York City which we will highlight in a large forum in the
    Springtime.
    - Votas y Voces/ Votes & Voices. This year we are kicking off our program for electoral work. As we use this election year to
    build power in immigrant communities, we will connect this work to a broad pro-immigrant worker platform that represents the
    interests of the community. We will incorporate political education and trainings into this work using the experience of driver's
    licenses to emphasize the need to build political power in our communities.
    As we move forward this year, we believe that the lessons we have learned from our fight for driver's licenses can only make
    us stronger in the struggle for justice for immigrants communities. Reverend Clinton Miller from the Brown Memorial Baptist
    Church closed the December 1st event with an inspirational speech about struggle and building momentum for the fight
    ahead. In his words: "Every setback is a setup for a comeback."

http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Jan08.pdf
    odiesback, before you start insulting members of this forum, you need to read the information. Do not connect me with the OBL's or anyone else because I am opposed to the Real ID Act. You should not be so naive about the acts true intentions. It certainly will do nothing to stop terrorists of illegals.

[quote]Secretary Chertoff has also hinted the Real ID card will soon be used for a wide variety of purposes not specifically detailed in the Real ID Act, stating DHS will do nothing to prevent non-government private parties from requiring the ID card. So you could soon be required to have a Real ID card to obtain or hold a job, open a bank account, enter a school, receive medical care, purchase a gun, or a virtually unlimited host of unrelated purposes. Eventually, once smart chips are incorporated, these ID cards will contain your entire life history - not just identification, but birth, school, employment, medical, financial, purchase and travel records.

Incredibly, Secretary Chertoff has no plans for encrypting the stored data on these cards, leaving unprotected the very personal records and access to the financial assets of 245 million Americans. The Real ID Act does not require DHS to secure the records they create or link to. Thus, this national web-like database will provide easy, one-stop shopping for identity thieves, swollen beyond recognition as not only state and national government agencies input and share data, but the private sector accesses the system for routine tracking, monitoring, and regulation of everyday Americans’ every move and activity. These ID cards will truly be “internal passports,â€
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

odiesback, before you start insulting members of this forum, you need to read the information. Do not connect me with the OBL's or anyone else because I am opposed to the Real ID Act. You should not be so naive about the acts true intentions. It certainly will do nothing to stop terrorists of illegals.
    Sorry if you got insulted. But this one of those things, we are
    discussing issues out in the open and
    unfortunately some can take it too personal.
    I was just expressing my viewpoint.
    We're all here for the same cause but
    we have different opinions on other issues.

I understand the ramifications of giving the
    government more private information but
    I cant just think of anything else about
    me that the government does not already
    know about.

My new passport contains a chip and
    I personally dont care.

Take it easy.

If the REAL ID is intended to stop or dramatically slow the illegal invasion, why does the Department of Homeland Security, that is so keen on seeing it pass, have no interest in securing our borders?

odiesback, before you start insulting members of this forum, you need to read the information. Do not connect me with the OBL's or anyone else because I am opposed to the Real ID Act. You should not be so naive about the act's true intentions. It certainly will do nothing to stop terrorists or illegals.

know about.

I personally dont care.

Take it easy.
    So if I were to say that someone who supports the Real ID are like those who want to Shred the US Constitution and hate America, you would not be offended?

You don't have to care, you can be naive and not care if someone walks nearby with a RFID reader and scans your private data and in turn uses it to clean out your bank account, fill out an income tax return, even get a loan on your home. Hey don't worry about it. Sit back and relax.

know about.

I personally dont care.

Take it easy.
    Right - I agree
    We all have SS numbers anyway and what's the big deal about a Real ID
    IF you what to stop illegals, there must be a real ID. Terry Anderson makes the same point - that the Real ID is not that bad.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast