Politics

Trump plays the birther card on Ted Cruz

1:51 PM 08/11/2013
Jeff Poor
Media Reporter

One of the most outspoken figures on the question of President Barack Obama’s eligibility to be president during the last presidential election cycle was real estate mogul Donald Trump.

In a five-minute interview aired on Sunday’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” on ABC with Jon Karl, Trump revisited the birth certificate question, but this time he trained his sights on Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz’s eligibility.

“Why does that make me not serious?” Trump asked. “I think that resonated with a lot of people… I have no idea [if he was born in the United States]. I don’t know, was there a birth certificate? You tell me. You know some people say it was not his birth certificate. I’m saying I don’t know. Nobody knows and you don’t know, Jonathan. You’re a smart guy. You don’t know either.”

Karl later asked Trump about Cruz, to which Trump seemed to indicate he had similar questions about his eligibility as well. “Well, if he was born in Canada, perhaps not.” Trump said. “I’m not sure where he was born… You’ll have to ask him that question, but perhaps not. I don’t know the circumstances. I heard somebody told me he was born in Canada. That’s really his thing.”

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/11/tr...#ixzz2bgphQRzh