Trump surges in latest polling as Clinton's lead shrinks

Aol.com Editors
Aug 29th 2016 4:00AM

Donald Trump has started to turn things around in the polls over the past week, narrowing his rival Hillary Clinton's lead both nationally and in a few battleground states.

According to the Real Clear Politics average, Trump has gained 2.3 points nationally over the last few weeks after diving in the polls following the Democratic National Convention in late July.

Trump has even halved Clinton's lead in one national poll. In the latest Morning Consult survey released Sunday morning, the billionaire businessman is now only behind the former secretary of state by 3 points after previously trailing last week 38 percent to 44 percent.

In swing state North Carolina, Trump now only trails by 2 points, according to A Monmouth University Poll. The Tar Heel State state is one of a few must-win areas for Trump, and while he is still chasing Clinton, these new numbers represent a much needed improvement following the NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist survey that showed him down by 9 points in the state.

While numbers seem to be heading in the right direction for Trump, he did still find himself in hot water again this past week after turning the death of NBA star Dwyane Wade's cousin into a plea for African-American voters.

"Dwyane Wade's cousin was just shot and killed walking her baby in Chicago," Trump tweeted on Saturday. "Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!"

Trump's comments were met with an overwhelming negative attention, including from Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine who said the only reaction that's appropriate at this time is "extending our sympathy to the family."

Trump wasn't the only one battling negative headlines this week, as news broke that the State Department says it won't be able to release the entire schedule from Clinton's time as secretary of state until just before the new year. The Trump campaign called this latest development further proof that the election is part of a "rigged system."

Clinton responded to the report on MSNBC's Morning Joe, telling co-host Mika Brzezinski that her "work as secretary of state was not influenced by any outside forces. I made policy decisions based on what I thought was right."

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/2...sies/21460390/