Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Trump's Win Stuns Latinos, Immigrants Worry About Their Future

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump's Win Stuns Latinos, Immigrants Worry About Their Future

Nov 9 2016, 4:01 am ET

Immigration activist Greisa Martinez Rosa had reassured her undocumented mother Tuesday they were going to be okay. By election night's end she was dreading their next conversation.

Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton in their White House battle after he waged a campaign that included promises to crack down on illegal immigration, deport people illegally here and to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it.

"I feel sick to my stomach that this is the reality that we would have to live in," said Martinez, advocacy director at United We Dream. "My conversation tomorrow with her will be a different one and not one I feel prepared to have, but don't think I ever will be.

Trump's stunning victory Wednesday sent ripples of worry and horror through a portion of the Latino community. He had started his campaign with comments that angered many in the Latino community, insisting Mexico sends rapists and people who commit crimes and drugs to the U.S.

In a Facebook post, immigrant advocate Gaby Pacheco, said she was getting calls and texts from people who were scared. Pacheco was a leader in the immigration activism movement that pushed for DACA deportation relief.

Sri Vasamsetti, 22, of Seattle and a supporter of Clinton, watches televised coverage of the
    presidential election at the Comet Tavern in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle, Washington
    on Nov. 8. JASON REDMOND / AFP - Getty Images

"They are crying in despair," she said in the post. "To those who voted for Trump, know that you have put a target on our backs."

"It's going to be a dark day in America and I hope the Democrats in Congress will be able to forestall any major impacts from a Trump presidency," said Leo
    Chavez, an anthropology professor at University of California Irvine and author of "Latino Threat."

There were Latinos who celebrated his win, even though they were the minority in the community.

German José Ortiz, a Colombian American from Bedford, N.H. voted for Trump and said he was humbled by his candidate's victory. But Ortiz expressed a message of reco rsounded a message of

"We have to work together to be able to maintain the uniqueness of this country for our children," Ortiz said.

Trump surrogate Bertica Cabrera Morris, a business and government consultant said she wasn't surprised Trump won her home state of Florida.

"The excitement was not there for Hillary," she said. Morris says she saw more excitement over Trump than for Romney in 2012.

Trump's win leaves hundreds of thousands of young immigrants who benefited from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program, with an uncertain future.

November 8, 2016 Young Latina With Deported Parents 'Nervous Because
    Trump Is Winning' | NBC News

More than 700,000 young immigrants like Martinez have been shielded from deportation and allowed to work because of DACA. During the campaign Trump promised to end the program soon after taking office.

"As an immigrant from Mexico and a DACA recipient, I am beyond terrified right now. This is not my America," Javier Gamboa, the deputy national press secretary for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee wrote in a tweet and a Facebook post.

The outcome jolted much of the Latino community that late last week had been seen as poised to deliver a record-breaking turnout that would help carry Clinton to victory.

"What I think many of us did not understand was the extent to which whites who supported Trump were going to turn out and vote in substantial numbers," said Luis Fraga, a politics professor at Notre Dame.

"Although I think many of us understood that his supporters had great concerns regarding globalization and free trade and multiculturalism and religious and ethnic diversity, I don't think we understood how much of a motivator that would be for many Americans to come out and support him," he said.

NBC contributors Carmen Sesin and Sandra Guzman contributed to this report.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/t...future-n681216

If you're an illegal alien in the United States, your "future" is not here, it's in your home countries where you will be soon.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Their "future" lies in Mexico...go speak to your President and what his plans are for YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by lorrie View Post

Nov 9 2016, 4:01 am ET

In a Facebook post, immigrant advocate Gaby Pacheco, said she was getting calls and texts from people who were scared. Pacheco was a leader in the immigration activism movement that pushed for DACA deportation relief.

"They are crying in despair," she said in the post. "To those who voted for Trump, know that you have put a target on our backs."

More than 700,000 young immigrants like Martinez have been shielded from deportation and allowed to work because of DACA. During the campaign Trump promised to end the program soon after taking office.

"As an immigrant from Mexico and a DACA recipient, I am beyond terrified right now. This is not my America," Javier Gamboa, the deputy national press secretary for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee wrote in a tweet and a Facebook post.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/t...future-n681216

Trump did not put a target on their back. They did it to themselves when they broke the Federal Immigration laws. Trump is simply going to enforce our existing laws. It's like a city where everyone has been allowed to steal cars and rob liquor stores was just told, "okay, if you continue to break the law, you will face consequences", and then the thieves get all upset. Tough!

The DACA is an illegal action. It is completely illegal to aide and abet illegal aliens. Period. If one helps an alien they are subject to punishment by law.

You're damn right this is NOT YOUR America. It belongs to the Citizens. Nothing in our constitution guarantees any non-citizen any rights what so ever.

So yes, Trump is going to restore law and order and those that have broken any law of the land should be terrified as should any criminal for any violation. Good bye and good riddance.
    Last edited by Goldendaze; 11-10-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    If you're an illegal alien in the United States, your "future" is not here, it's in your home countries where you will be soon.

Bingo!

Could not of said it better.

Blaming everyone but their parents for creating this situation in the first place. It was illegal for them to sneak into our country illegally and now their children will have to pay for it. The family separation is a result of their parents bad choices. The money that was spent on coyotes sneaking them in this country could of been spent to pay filing fees to come her legally. Try living in Mexico illegally and see what happens to you; you would be lucky if you lived through being caught in the country illegally. It is not up to the USA to care for everyone in the world that wants to come here. We are not the worlds keeper! It is up to their own country and the citizens to make changes. Go home and demonstrate and protest, change the things you don't like. Americans are tired of the demands you are putting on our country. We can no longer afford it or want it.
    Last edited by posylady; 11-14-2016 at 09:26 PM.