Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    bren Yes, I know about Amazon. This was pre-internet days for us.

Last year, I didn't, but I sell books on Ebay and am going to being listing on Amazon after the first of the year.

Amazon is a good place for finding the books you want and I didn't know until a couple of years ago, they sell used books - well they are a listing service for book dealers.
    That is why I mainly pointed out Amazon to you----is the fact that they sell used books!! I have bought books from the site for as cheap as $4.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I think there are many out there who call themselves "underprivilaged" who have an attitude that those who have something, got it easy.

I know the way I was raised it was shameful to go on welfare when you were just poor. Welfare was for the truely needy. Somewhere along the line that changed. It's more the attitude.........like my daughter is working, going to school......trying to do the right things.....yet she has friends who get pregnant, first thought is go down to welfare, they'll pay for everything, get set-up in section 8 housing and live in a better place than "poor" working people do, get food-stamps, daycare, education, vouchers for free furniture and clothes, medicade and all the rest. The father feels no need to marry her because that means he's living with them, working, lying to welfare and he's getting rent for cheap, kids being taken care and he doesn't have to try harder or make any changes. His pay goes for the plazma TV, new cars, party time etc. They do better that way than what they could if they did the "right" thing. Why do the "right" thing and strain yourself when there's such a lucrative other option? Why even TRY to scrimp and save for Christmas when you know all you have to do is enter your name or show your card and the freebies are better than anything you could have gotten? Double up with other welfare moms and their significant other and it can be a relatively easy life if you play the system. There are too many abusing the system to where the truely needy are being pushed out.

My daughters working and couldn't put away anything to get a place to live on what she makes. First, last and security...utility deposits etc. For her to live below her means....she'd have to live in a tent in the woods. It used to be that if you worked a minimum wage job you were poor but could meet basic needs. Now it doesn't come close to cutting it and right now it seems useless and unless you have children.....forget getting any help. I worked as a cocktail waitress and was able to live and put myself through school.....you can't do that now. Try being 50 and still have teen kids and have your job outsourced and survive on moms minimum wage Wal-Mart, part time job and get help. The whole thing is messed up for sure. It shouldn't be more lucrative to do nothing than to do something. But that something should be enough to live on and it's not.
    The "schemes" that your daughter's friends use, is the same schemes that the illegals use!!!

Are you mobile??? In some states it is much easier to "survive" than others.

I know that when I lived in Arizona, I was able to get my money to stretch a LOT further, then when I lived in PA.
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567