Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My parents are boomers and are nothing like what you described. My dad served in the military for over 20 years and both my parents worked hard, made sacrifices and saved so they can now live comfortably.

The baby boomers helped build this great country and your comments are very offensive to me.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

I wouldn't describe baby boomers as being "greedy". However, I do think that baby boomers started a trend of "self-indulgence" that has worsened with each subsequent generation.

It's not greed, per se...it's more of a need for gratification and an almost unquenchable thirst for stimulation. I see baby boomers, gen-xer's and the "me" generation as being almost dangerously self-indulgent.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    Chosen, I think that's an extremely harsh and simplistic view of an entire generation of people. Every generation has its problems.

I see young parents out today who drag their kids into restaurants and movies just because THEY don't want to miss out. I'm not talking about family restaurants and G rated movies. I'm talking about expensive restaurants and R rated movies. It seems the parent don't care that their kids spoil the meal or movie for everyone else in the restaurant or the theater. All they seem to care about is that THEY get to do what they want. But I don't condemn the whole generation just because of the actions of a selfish few.
    Simplistic shouldn't refer to the points you decided to ignore.

Analogy in this case makes not a rule nor a point. I don't see how you getting mad in a restaraunt enforces your point, or better yet masks the negative behaviors of baby boomers.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Our laws need to be enforced. No amnesty!
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoIllegalsAllowed
    Our laws need to be enforced. No amnesty!
    Amen to that!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

I'm a baby boomer, and I sure don't agree that we are the worst generation. I think the kids today are, what with the gangs, the violence, the crappy music with sicko lyrics, the sexual promiscuity at a young age, etc. etc.

If you listen to our music, like the Beatles, it was all about "love". We were not violent - in fact, we were the flower children - all about peace and love - what's wrong with that? I prefer it to the way the adolescents are today. They certainly are NOT about peace and love!

As for self-indulgence, I think SOME of us were brought up by parents of the Greatest Generation who went through the depression and fought in WWII, and wanted us, their children, to have what they didn't. So, yes, they spoiled us. However, SOME of us learned a great deal from their sacrifices and today, follow in their footsteps, doing work that is helpful to others, and caring about others who may be less fortunate. We also have a sense of patriotism since our fathers fought to save America (and the rest of the world) in the 1940's.

At least that's my experience, for what it's worth!

The line that the illegals will help SS is one the politicians floated a long time ago - it is nothing new - it is just wrong - completely wrong.

These people are not going to pay taxes - ever. Not in any appreciable numbers. These are people who broke the laws to get here, broke any other law that didn't suit them - and somehow - suddenly theya re going to become good citizens and prop up SS and welfare?

Give me a break.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I personally would like to see the social security program, along with every other entitlement program completely scrapped. Only those that absolutely cannot work -- the elderly or the disabled, should be able to collect anything at all.

WIC, medicaid ..all of it, scrapped. It's being given out because people know they can get it. If they didn't receive all of those benefits, maybe they'd stop having their illegitimate children as well.

People need to get a handle on saving money and stop spending on needless material items. My own parents, bless their hearts, totally relied on that hope that they would receive social security to prop them up someday. It discourages people from saving and from working harder. It's just another entitlement program.

We as Americans need to start taking care of ourselves -- start saving for ourselves -- privately, and stop this incessant worrying about social security. The payouts are terrible anyway. There is no way my husband and I could live on his SS at this point anyway. We SAVE for our future, but not a lot of other people do.

Maybe people would also think twice about perhaps having more children to help them in their old age as well, about keeping families together, closer, etc. Families should take care of each other -- not rely on their government to be their caretaker.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    I personally would like to see the social security program, along with every other entitlement program completely scrapped. Only those that absolutely cannot work -- the elderly or the disabled, should be able to collect anything at all.

WIC, medicaid ..all of it, scrapped. It's being given out because people know they can get it. If they didn't receive all of those benefits, maybe they'd stop having their illegitimate children as well.

People need to get a handle on saving money and stop spending on needless material items. My own parents, bless their hearts, totally relied on that hope that they would receive social security to prop them up someday. It discourages people from saving and from working harder. It's just another entitlement program.

We as Americans need to start taking care of ourselves -- start saving for ourselves -- privately, and stop this incessant worrying about social security. The payouts are terrible anyway. There is no way my husband and I could live on his SS at this point anyway. We SAVE for our future, but not a lot of other people do.

Maybe people would also think twice about perhaps having more children to help them in their old age as well, about keeping families together, closer, etc. Families should take care of each other -- not rely on their government to be their caretaker.
    Yes, SS is not a good thing. For many years, it was not an expensive tax - now it is a huge burden - especially for young families, who will probably get nothing from it.

This high tax does two things - it prevents younger people from saving, and it also gives them a false sense of security - as it has many elderly for a long time.

For years, older family members were just that, family members. They lived in the homes, or a small home next door. They were there for babysitting, for wiping kiddos tears, for telling stories, for giving hugs, and teaching kids history.

Then along came SS, and suddenly the older folks were told they now had their own income and shouldn't have to be someone's babysitter, and the younger members thought they shouldn't be bothered with 'Mama' as she had her own income.

As a result, there are many children today who have no sense of continuity of life - very little exposure to the elderly - and no respect for them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The only problem with scrapping SS is that MOST people do not make enough money to save, along with paying the bills month to month. Wages have stagnated for the last few decades, but everything else has gone up! Most people have one problem like a car breaking down, or medical bills, and they're broke.

Recently, my property taxes went up by 20%, and my monthly oil bill went up by 13%. My raise was 3%. The median household income in the U.S. (last I checked) is $45,000. So, HALF of our households make even less than that. That's not a lot of money in most places.

IF people made a decent living which many don't, I could see getting rid of SS. But, in reality, that's not the way it is. As a single individual myself, most of my money goes to bills month by month - there is no one to help me out, and it's almost impossible to save anything, although I save a bit. 30% of retirees have ONLY social security to use. They didn't make enough money during their working lives to save anything of substance.

Not everyone can be a CEO - many people do the other jobs that we have in the U.S., and the majority of them don't pay well. Many people have to have 2 jobs or 3 just to make the rent.

And, I'm not talking about people who have too many kids - like I said, it also applies to single people without children.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is that IF (a BIG if) most people had money to burn, that would be a fine idea to get rid of SS, but most people in this country are just making it. As you know, the spoils go to the richest people, and there is no "trickling down" to the regular weekly worker. And, I am of the opinion that it has nothing to do with buying too many material things. If one has enough money for that, sure, save some instead of buying!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast