Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Utah Rep's response...

A friend of mine has been faxing members of the Utah legislature, in anticipation of the amnesty lite it would ultimately enact. Here's one of the responses from a representative who ultimately voted against the bill.

Dear Fellow Utahan,

Thank you for contacting me about the challenges our state faces regarding illegal immigrants. I appreciate your input on this challenging issue.

During the 2011 legislature, we addressed many important and pressing issues. Of these, I firmly believe that none are more important than the issue of immigration. I strongly support legal immigration and will continue to seek reforms at the federal level which offer equal access to the American Dream to those from all parts of the world who deserve it and respectfully seek it. Utah’s heritage, like my own, is one of immigrants coming to this land looking for freedom and opportunity.

Two years ago, while serving on Utah’s Immigration Taskforce, I travelled throughout the state studying this complex and compelling issue. During that time, I came to the strong conviction that the most important policy we can adopt is to eliminate benefits to those who have come here illegally. I seek to bring accountability for the actions of those who have violated sovereign borders, and to in no way reward them. Furthermore, I support making those who hire such people accountable for their actions, as they are effectively spreading the true cost of their labor to others who are law-abiding.

Throughout this debate, I did all I could to uphold the sovereignty of the state and nation. I support all proposals consistent with the rule of law and the enhancement of legal immigration. As I have seen advancement of policies with which I disagree, I always attempt to make bad policy better; and when there is no good choice, to stay engaged and work for the best among poor choices.

While I am obviously displeased at many of the policies adopted under HB116, and voted against the bill, I was able to prevail in making some changes within that bill, including a higher penalty to be paid by those who entered the country illegally. On the other hand, I advocated to apply the requirements to be fingerprinted, background checked and charged a penalty to all illegal adults who are to be accommodated in our state under the new policies, but I failed, and only those who will work for a paycheck must take those basic steps to come out of the shadows and pay their fair share.

As chair of the Judiciary Committee, I was able to keep what I believe to be a better bill, SB 60, alive long enough to use it as a tool to change out weaker provisions in the bill that eventually passed. It was also in my Judiciary Committee that we were able to shed a bill number, HB 70, which had become a public relations liability, and preserve the substance of that enforcement bill with another number, HB 497, which eventually passed with the same sponsor, Representative Steve Sandstrom.

This may be more than you wanted to know about the intricacies and tactics of our recent political debate over immigration, but I wanted to respond to your message and it is not a simple issue. Please don’t let my lengthy response dissuade you from contacting me again.

Respectfully,

Mark Madsen

Utah State Senate, Dist. 13
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

I got the same exact message from him in my email!

Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage
    I got the same exact message from him in my email!
    I didn't..
    ------------------------

It probably is a form letter.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Banned
    I have 20 form letter responses just from Harry Reid , every single one is exactly the same
    This is over a 5 year period

The question I have to ask is how is this representative govt? These idiots
    never even see any of our letters , depending on the subject the staff just generates a form letter , if the staff even sees it

Remind me sometime to tell you the story of when I tried to book an
    appointment to see Reid on one of his breaks here in town

You won't believe it

You couldn't even book an appointment unless you were part of some advo group

I get hand written letters from all my Rep's here in Oklahoma.
    ------------------------

Banned
    One reason you get form letters is half of our reps cannot put a decient idea together let alone a full letter. They need some hack to draw up the letter and they just give it an ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BillCunnane
    One reason you get form letters is half of our reps cannot put a decient idea together let alone a full letter. They need some hack to draw up the letter and they just give it an ok.
    another reason is the rep or staff do not have time to sit down and right a letter to each person who calls or writes.
    so a form letter addressed to different people regarding the same topic is usually how things work.

April
    Hatch needs to hear from us! Please take action!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-231277.html