Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vote for candidates tough on immigration

Your views: Patrolling the border

Readers express a variety of opinions in their letters to FLORIDA TODAY.

Vote for candidates tough on immigration

Dec 22, 2007

Illegal immigration will be the top issue in next year's election. I believe most voters -- Democrat, Republican and Independent --will cast their votes based largely on that single issue.

I know I will take the time to find out exactly how the candidates on my ballot stand on this critical issue. That includes candidates running at all levels -- federal, state and local.

Ordinary Americans like me have come to understand the federal government will do nothing to deal with this problem. Consequently, it will be up to state and local officials to do something.

As a Florida voter I will be looking for candidates who will promise to pass legislation similar to what was done this year in Oklahoma.

The new law in Oklahoma provides for severe penalties for employees who hire illegal aliens. It also terminates all public assistance to illegal aliens and prohibits access to any drivers' licenses or state ID cards. It also gives state and local law enforcement the power to enforce federal laws.

In just a few short months the legislation has succeeded. They are relocating to other states rather than get caught in Oklahoma. Since federal immigration law is being enforced there, it means deportation for illegal aliens.

Jane Kenny

Titusville

www.floridatoday.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It's kind of interesting, even Barack is saying we need to secure our borders. Not that he will do anything besides say it. I just hope the people are paying attention beyond the rhetoric.
    Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. - George Bernard Shaw

Banned
    The story for most of them is sure , close the borders but
    allow in millions more per year

and make the the 20 million here legal overnight

See how easily the problem goes away

It is really not that hard to find out on the federal level. Simply go to NUMBERS USA and check the score cards.

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/

You would have to ask the challengers.

If you take the NUMBERS USA illegal immigration issues evaluation on Republican Presidential candidates

http://www.betterimmigration.com/candid ... _gop1.html

and convert the evaluation to a number you can objectively rate and rank the candidates.

With a scale of

+3 = excellent
    +2 = good
    +1 = fair
    -1 = poor
    -2 = bad
    -3 = abysmal

the candidate's rating on illegal immigration comes out as:

48 Tancredo (perfect score)
    44 Hunter
    34 Thompson
    20 Hucklebee
    19 Romney
    19 Paul
    -7 Giuliani
    -8 McCain

While I didn't check, I assume all the Democratic candidates would be rated even lower.