War protesters call for impeachment

BY DAVID NIVENS
ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER

GREENSBORO – Anti-war activ*ist Cindy Sheehan called on sup*porters Saturday to work for the impeachment of President Bush.
Sheehan called Bush a liar and a killer.
“Our president has commit*ted scores of impeachable of*fenses,” Sheehan said to about 300 people gathered at Govern*ment Plaza. “Our president and vice president, who were cowards and avoided the Viet*nam War, are being supported in a war against humanity.”
Sheehan aimed remarks at counter protesters who shout*ed “traitor” and “communist” over bull horns as she and oth*ers spoke. The two-hour anti*war rally was organized by The World Can’t Wait, a national group that, according to its Web site, “seeks to create a po*litical situation where the Bush administration’s program is re*pudiated, where Bush himself is driven from office, and where the whole direction he has been taking U.S. society is reversed.” Gathering of Eagles, a veter*ans group that opposed anti-war protesters in Washington last month, organized the counter protesters. Police erected metal fencing to keep protesters on different sides of the street.
“Those people across the street need to know that Amer*ica is not the center of the uni*verse,” Sheehan said. “Every time a brother or a sister in other countries dies, we die.”
Sheehan’s son, Casey, was killed in Baghdad in 2004. Shee*han madenews worldwidewhen she opened Camp Casey outside President Bush’s ranch in Craw*ford, Texas, to protest the war.
Veterans stood on both sides of the protest. Perry Parks of Wallace, a 64-year-old deco*rated retired Army chief war*rant officer with service in the Middle East, opposes the war.
“This is the most dangerous administration in my lifetime,” he said. “This is not a just war.” Sheehan’s appearance was aimed at getting thousands of people to attend a May 14 rally in Washington, D.C., to call on Congress to impeach Bush and to cut off funding for the war.
“I want an America I can be proud of,” Sheehan said. dnivens@hpe.com" target=_blanks
dnivens@hpe.com |888-3626