Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trouble...

A couple of things. First to the poster Trouble -keep it up. They are doing a great job on my town website keeping Palomablanca on her toes.

http://www.waukegan.org/Forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=6

Also, a town not to far from us is starting to make some noise. Maybe this influence will spread, Elgin, IL. I will post a link to the Illinois minuteman site. I'll be watching carefully what happens there.

http://www.illinoisminutemanproject.com/

And finally...more big (for us!) news in Waukegan. On Friday some yobos went around town and 'severly damaged' over 60 cars around town. I'm waiting to hear who is responsible.

http://www.waukegan.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5348
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

News from Ponderosa...

I just had to post this from our town site. Has anyone else heard this about Ponderosa? I'm writing them a letter of thanks. Could this be the start of something in my town?! FYI -BlackDiamond is a 60ish year old black woman. I have been posting information/articles like mad on our website -most from this site. Thanks!!

http://www.waukegan.org/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

__________________________________________________ _________
    Black Diamond
    Advanced Member

2239 Posts
    Posted - 08/02/2006 : 11:44:33
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I went into Ponderosa the other day and saw a lot of black people working. I asked one of the server what happened to all of the Mexican employees and he said they were let go because they were illegals. I did see one Mexican lady who's been there a long time. I think I'll ask someone else about that. Oh, new management have the servers to get your dinner rolls rather than having them on the line where people (mostly kids) puts their hands all over them. Anyone else been there lately? Their air conditioning is bad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why do 'we' continue to bend over backwards to accomadate the spanish language speakers? I just read the article in the news section how the writer's dutch parents just had to learn the language. They didn't expect special treatment. The article below appeared yesterday in our local newspaper. Our local newspapers allows people to call in with their comments (1-847-249-7202) and the following comment appeared about this article: !! I would like to call in a comment too, see if I can get it printed.

Regarding the article on everyday Spanish my thoughts are; why isn't English being taught to the Spanish instead of teaching teaching Spanish to our firefighters? This is America, not some foreign country. My grandfather came from Germany and he had to learn to speak English, why not the Spanish?

Emergency Spanish
    Workshop teaches language basics for firefighters

By Ryan Pagelow RPAGELOW@scn1.com

In a car wreck or fire emergency, time is scarce. Paramedics and firefighters have only a few moments to assess the situation and tend to the patients. Eliminating language barriers makes their job easier and safer for all involved.

To help fire officials better communicate with the growing Latino population in Lake County, the Office of the State Fire Marshal sponsored a three-hour workshop in Waukegan late last month to teach basic Spanish to firefighters.

"We found out that many communities have seen their Spanish-speaking populations increase significantly in the past few years, and since they have few, if any, Spanish-speaking firefighters, they need essential communication tools," said State Fire Marshal David Foreman.

About 16 officials from fire departments in Beach Park, Waukegan, Antioch and Winthrop Harbor attended the workshop.

"In two and a half hours you're not going to learn Spanish, but one of the best things to get out of it is a speedy pocket guide of basic Spanish phrases she gave all of us," said Waukegan Fire Marshal Steven Lenzi. "It's another tool in the toolbox."

Although he studied Spanish for four years in high school, the guide has important phrases such as "Speak more slowly" in Spanish and questions such as "Are you sick?" and "Does it hurt here?" that only require a yes or no response.

"I can understand si or no. I don't understand if you go into a 20-minute dissertation in Spanish," Lenzi said.

They also want to find out if anyone is in a burning house, so firefighters do not risk their lives searching a house that is vacant.

Latinos make up more than 45 percent of Waukegan's population. Many are first-generation immigrants with limited English abilities and depend on bilingual members of their family for translations.

Lt. Steve Fedor, a paramedic with the Waukegan Fire Department, took two semesters of Spanish at the College of Lake County eight years ago to help him talk to immigrants in the ambulance. There's no time to call an interpreter or look at phrase books, he said.

"The emergency doesn't lend itself to that kind of help," he said.

A bilingual neighbor or relative is usually at the scene. If not, he relies on the simple Spanish phrases he knows to find out the patient's medical history, name, telephone number, or any medicine they are taking. He estimates about two of the 10 calls to his station are for patients with limited English abilities.

"Downtown or north, they're going to encounter a lot more because of the high concentration of people living there," Fedor said.

Waukegan Fire Chief Patrick Gallagher said the workshop was optional for staff, and the department does not keep track of the number of Spanish-speaking fighters or the number of Latino firefighters.

"It's definitely not an issue that comes up all the time. We do have challenges with some folks that speak only Spanish. We're hoping that the course will help us a little bit," Gallagher said.

Even in communities like Winthrop Harbor, which is only 5 percent Latino, firefighters see the importance of knowing a little Spanish because Spanish-speakers living in neighboring communities may be involved in accidents while driving through town or working in town.

"It's not huge here but it's growing, and it's better to be proactive," said Capt. David Conrad Jr. of the Winthrop Harbor Fire Department, who attended the workshop. "The possibility is there, and we run into it. One of our police officers is fluent in Spanish but is not always there."

The free workshops on basic Spanish for first-response personnel have been held about once a month around Illinois since February, said Nereida Avendaño, director of Latino affairs for the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Besides the Spanish phrases, she handed out free fire prevention materials in Spanish to give to Latino residents.

"There is a wave of immigrants from poor backgrounds that never heard about smoke alarms. Their smoke alarm was their neighbor," Avendaño said.

Cultural traditions such as long-burning religious candles can also pose fire hazards.

"The firefighters really want to save lives. That's why they are here," she said.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516