Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We're Pro-Immigration, but Enforce the Laws

August 10, 2007; Page A9
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1186710 ... lenews_wsj

George Melloan made some sound arguments in his July 27 op-ed "Immigration Paralysis." But there were also some serious oversights.

Mr. Melloan seems to believe that the current immigration laws are unenforceable. This is simply not the case: The federal government has the ability -- but not the will. He also characterizes our immigration laws as "draconian." They can hardly be too harsh if they are not enforced, and hence meaningless.

Mr. Melloan writes: "Republicans . . . are frozen in the headlights of the anti-immigrant campaigns being conducted by nativists and vigilantes in their home states. Hate and emotion do not produce good laws." The latter part of that statement may be true, but the former is insulting to the legitimate concerns of the American people. Congress's "grand bargain" on immigration did not sufficiently address these concerns either, which is why it collapsed under scrutiny.

The vast majority of the public favors immigration but recognizes that there is a difference between "immigrants" and "illegal immigrants." They have no faith in the government's willingness to enforce immigration laws to preserve the distinction.

Quite frankly, I think we should allow as many immigrants into the country as want to come in legally. Meaning, of course, that such immigration should be governed by reasonable laws and limits. We should require background checks to weed out those with criminal records. When in our country, immigrants should pay taxes. They should not receive government benefits and services until they become citizens. In order to become citizens, among other things, they should have to pass a somewhat rigorous test to be administered in English.

These are but some of the common-sense principles that most Americans can support. We want more immigration. We only ask that those wishing to migrate to our country do so by our terms and abide by our laws.

Shawn McGrath
    Atlanta
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I agree with Tancredo. We need a 5 or 10 year moratorium on illegal immigration so we can absorb the massive influx that we have had (especially the numbers that have come in since Bush took office).

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saveourcountry
    I agree with Tancredo. We need a 5 or 10 year moratorium on illegal immigration so we can absorb the massive influx that we have had (especially the numbers that have come in since Bush took office).
    I'd to agree to that! We need to stabilize our population and finances! Our administration invited this mess and it needs to be tended with and patched up! We should close up our borders and completely restrict mass legal immigration and temp work visas!!! Let Americans get back on there feet and back to work!!! Thats what I am for!!!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Re: We're Pro-Immigration, but Enforce the Laws

August 10, 2007; Page A9
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1186710 ... lenews_wsj

Quite frankly, I think we should allow as many immigrants into the country as want to come in legally.
    Quite frankly, this level of witless indulgence should earn one a lifetime banishment to a border town barrio; that way this fellow will be able to fully appreciate the fruits of such an idea