Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What burns me up !!!!

My daughter who attends Union County, N.C. schools is failing English. Her grades have always been high in this subject.

I met with her teacher this morning to develop a plan. Her teacher told me my daughter is in her worst class..... lots of distractions.

What through me for a loop is I asked what I can do to get her through the books at night. The teacher told me "We don't have enough books for the students so we can only work with English assignments during class".

North Carolina can afford free education to illegal criminal aliens; but they cannot afford to give tax paying citizens books???

Do you know that according to an article in the Charlotte Observor of all places, 1/3 of Union County property taxes goes to educating Hispanics. To be precise, The Observor stated that 2/3 of Union County property taxes go to schools, and that 1/2 of Union Country school children are Hispanics.

Good Lord, what is this country coming to???

I'm not sure I even WANT those kind of stats on the Hazleton school district.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

Re: What burns me up !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    My daughter who attends Union County, N.C. schools is failing English. Her grades have always been high in this subject.

I met with her teacher this morning to develop a plan. Her teacher told me my daughter is in her worst class..... lots of distractions.

What through me for a loop is I asked what I can do to get her through the books at night. The teacher told me "We don't have enough books for the students so we can only work with English assignments during class".

North Carolina can afford free education to illegal criminal aliens; but they cannot afford to give tax paying citizens books???
    It's your job to fight tooth and nail for you child.. Get a Lawyer or do something....
    Do anything... Call your congressman, TV, radio, the person in the grocery store next to you....... ..Don't get all wild eyed and so angry you are talking backwards.. Just keep churning the pot... Never STOP...
    John

Is homeschooling an option?

Yes, fight, go to the school board, never let up - this is an outrage.

Years ago, 20 at least, I was a volunteer aid, for a third grade teacher, in the school my daughter attended. A little girl from Mexico was enrolled. She was 9 years old, but had never been to a school of any kind and couldn't speak English. They just plopped her in this grade because of her age.

There was nothing really we could do for her - the teacher and I only spoke a very words of Spanish and the child sat there and drew pictures for a while. All the while the teacher was begging them to put her in the ESL classes - but they wouldn't because ESL was for kindergarten and first grade.

Finally the school had a solution - they hired a private tutor - one on one for 4 hours a day to teach this child English. She was a good worker, a good child - and she's a good adult - I get a hug everytime I see her now - but that isn't right - it's just not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dianne,

If your daughter's failing and her grades were, how are the other kids doing?

I agree with Cigar. Don't take this in the teeth. Contact your reps. Let me know if there's anything I can do from here to help you out.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Is homeschooling an option?

Yes, fight, go to the school board, never let up - this is an outrage.

Years ago, 20 at least, I was a volunteer aid, for a third grade teacher, in the school my daughter attended. A little girl from Mexico was enrolled. She was 9 years old, but had never been to a school of any kind and couldn't speak English. They just plopped her in this grade because of her age.
    There was nothing really we could do for her - the teacher and I only spoke a very words of Spanish and the child sat there and drew pictures for a while. All the while the teacher was begging them to put her in the ESL classes - but they wouldn't because ESL was for kindergarten and first grade.

Finally the school had a solution - they hired a private tutor - one on one for 4 hours a day to teach this child English. She was a good worker, a good child - and she's a good adult - I get a hug everytime I see her now - but that isn't right - it's just not.

In 1975 we had 6 or 8 kids form Vietnam show up in class... No nothing, the teacher could not talk with them... What a joke...

We did get a letter from the State of North Carolina a week ago stating this high school is under-achieving and has been placed on a list of under achieving schools and monitored in the future. So apparently the test results are terrible.

We were told at the beginning of the year that homework assignments would be accessible via internet. I asked the teacher about that this morning and she told me that never got off the ground. This year she has received two report cards, and never a grade on Social Studies as her teacher has been out for several weeks and they have since relied on substitute teachers. So I don't even know how she is doing in SS.

Of course, they don't have enough books for the students; so no one gets a book. But NC has plenty of money to pay for illegals?

I am sooooooooooooooooo furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    We did get a letter from the State of North Carolina a week ago stating this high school is under-achieving and has been placed on a list of under achieving schools and monitored in the future. So apparently the test results are terrible.

We were told at the beginning of the year that homework assignments would be accessible via internet. I asked the teacher about that this morning and she told me that never got off the ground. This year she has received two report cards, and never a grade on Social Studies as her teacher has been out for several weeks and they have since relied on substitute teachers. So I don't even know how she is doing in SS.

Of course, they don't have enough books for the students; so no one gets a book. But NC has plenty of money to pay for illegals?

I am sooooooooooooooooo furious.
    Find out what book they are using and see if you can get a cheap copy on the internet. You don't care if the book is beat up, you just need a book.

Can your daughter transfer into another English class that is less 'disrupted'? The fact that she has always done well before makes me think the classroom is the problem, not your daughter. As a last resort, do you know anyone with an English degree who could tutor her? Maybe exchange services (babysit or shovel the driveway) in return for tutoring.

Alot of people have been in your shoes. The public school where I live (which was supposedly 'great') was so bad that we pulled our older girl out after 1st grade and I drove the kids back and forth to a private school (a 34 mile round trip twice a day) for 12 years. We did not have any choice.

Dianne, here's what I was able to find on Bowles

Bowles, Erskine
    919-962-1000
    919-843-9695-fax

ebowles@northcarolina.edu

Sure hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast