Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What Next for Conservatives?

What Next for Conservatives?
    Laura's E-Blast
    http://www.LauraIngraham.com
    February 11, 2008

Now that Mitt Romney has stepped aside in the GOP presidential race, many conservatives are trying to figure out where to go from here. John McCain will be the Republican presidential nominee. Conservatives are dispirited because on many issues they don't consider him one of them. And it's true -- he is a moderate who considered leaving the GOP in 2001 ... he did think about joining John Kerry's ticket in 2004 ... and he did side with liberals over conservatives on everything from immigration to closing Gitmo.

But we have no time to be dejected and have to keep things in perspective. Remember, between 1932 and 1980, there weren't any conservative presidents. Even when they were in the wilderness, conservatives were hard at work. In 1951, William F. Buckley wrote "God & Man at Yale" and later started National Review magazine. We saw the rise of Barry Goldwater. Phyllis Schlafley and others defeated the Equal Rights Amendment. Ronald Reagan challenged the Republican establishment from the right and eventually became the party's standard-bearer.

So despite the wishful thinking on the part of liberals everywhere, conservatives are not about to give up and go away. In fact, this could be a moment of liberation. Many prominent conservatives think that the movement has become too closely aligned with the GOP anyway.

Whether a year from now we have President Clinton, Obama or McCain in the White House, the challenges facing America are going to be huge. Beyond the war and the economy, there will be a push for new climate change and immigration laws that conservatives are not going to like. And traditional marriage and our successful anti-terror policies will face renewed attacks in federal courts. So this is no time for conservatives to sit on the sidelines.

On the state and local level, we can recruit and support solid, traditional conservatives for everything from the school board to the state house. We can be active conservatives in our neighborhoods and churches by working with others to highlight what is good -- and defeat what is bad about today's popular culture. We can join organizations that do great grassroots work on the issues we care about. We can show how much we support the troops and their mission by helping returning vets and their families.

We are a movement that believes in personal responsibility, so it's time to take some. There are consequences to losing. Now is the time to rebuild and re-group, not whine or complain or sulk. Reagan lost many political battles along the way but never lost hope in the enduring nature of basic conservative principles. Neither should we.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As William has said in his recent nationally released e-mail. The Republican and Democratic parties ("two wings of the same bird", as Lou Dobbs states) have chose for us that they will only present amnesty candidates for nominees. It is time to focus on local, state and federal Congressional races. An amnesty president can't deliver amnesty if the Congress doesn't let it happen. A state can't turn a blind eye to illegal immigration and can't become a sanctuary state unless the legislature allows it. These are areas where we can really make a difference.

Let's Roll, Patriots!!! Find local, state and national candidates to support. Get the word out. Take our country back!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Its looking more and more that local and state is the way to go,
    Washington will do nothing but keep throwing one amnesty after
    another at us

Until we can correct that situation , we have to clean up the mess
    locally where the impact is mostly felt

Republican Liberty Caucus

There is now an entity called the Republican Liberty Caucus. Many of the Ron Paul Meet Ups are now transitioning to this.

This was her "Talking Points" on Friday when she filled in for Bill O'Reilly. It was really uplifting to her her vocalize it.

I agree. As we speak EX-OC is going to be meeting with and Idaho Senator. I've been in touch with Assemblyman Chuck DeVore. Let this be a catalyst to walk our neighborhoods like AyatollahGondola. He is literally walking his neighborhoods with fliers. He passes out about 200 at a time.

These are grassroots movements and actions bringing people into our movement and giving them voice.

Reading this statement I am a little confused as to who Ingraham would classify as a "conservative" and why. She says there were none from 1932 to 1980. So Reagan was the first in 48 years---but Eisenhower and Nixon don't qualify? I can't see how Reagan was conservative in the awarding of defense contracts to California---and maybe that is part of how we got into the present immigration mess. I like the part about individual reponsibility--so I could see how Nixon might not make the cut. Was Truman ("The buck stops here.") conservative in any way at all in this view? And why would Eisenhower not make the grade?

Maybe somebody can help me with this. I have enjoyed Ingraham's informative show, last spring, when she was exposing the CIR for a sham. Very informative. I would like to know more about what she is referring to as conservatism and who actually are some representative persons. Also in my opnion L. Ingraham seems very headstrong for a lady---on camera, at least I can't say that she shows much emotion. Who makes the grade as a responsible conservative?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David