Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What would you do?

We belong to a CSA (Community supported Agriculture) program from a local farm. We receive organic fruits and vegetables for 5 months each season. Today I opened up the weekly newsletter to this:

"Greetings - Our farm could not function without the harvest and preparation labor that comes from our Spanish workers (primarily from Mexico). "

Then it goes on to mention various recipes supplied by them, etc.

We do not wish to do business with anyone employing illegal aliens. Do you think it would be rude for me to ask the farmer if his workers are legal? Because if they aren't, we will not participate in this next year.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

AE

Lynne, I would certainly feel free to ask ,as you are not just a customer, but you have vested interest in this farm. Farmers like this depend on having these "investors" to keep them going and with that comes accountability to the people who give them that money.

Ask and let us know. Good luck.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

I'd definatly ask and possibly find another co-op that doesn't depend on just illegal workers.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The workers may be legal, if not you can find out how to hire legal workers for the farm and pass this on to the others in the co-op.
    Please don't look at it as an anti hispanic issue but as a legal verses illegal issue.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    The workers may be legal, if not you can find out how to hire legal workers for the farm and pass this on to the others in the co-op.
    Please don't look at it as an anti hispanic issue but as a legal verses illegal issue.

Definitely not looking at this as a hispanic issue! I just thought it was interesting that he is highlighting the fact that his workers are from Mexico and it got me wondering if they are legal, since many in this area are not.

Definitely you have a right to ask that.

Perdona me estan sus obreros trabajando aqui legalmente con papeles y la authorizacion de nuestro gobierno. Es una cosa muy importante que yo no estoy comprando productos hecho con labor de ilegales.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We do not wish to do business with anyone employing illegal aliens.
    Most folks don't want food handled by uninspected, unidentifiable foreign nationals unlawfully present. The burden is on business if they want your money. Ask away. I don't think it's appropriate to speak Spanish in American businesses. That's enough for me to seek another retailer. As they say: "it's your money."
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You have every right to ask. You are consuming this food and want assurances the people tending and harvesting the crops have had health screenings.

Are they seasonal workers--arrive for planting and leave after the harvest? You said you received food for 5 months of the year. If they are not seasonal workers who is supporting them for the remaining 7 months of the year?

"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

It isn't rude to ask if the workers are legal, especially if you are buying their product. Bringing in illegal aliens does not seem like a very community-friendly activity when one considers the resulting strain on roads, schools, public services, etc, not to mention the general lawlessness that often follows illegals.

If these guys want the community to support their business, they should focus on helping the community.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

Definitely not looking at this as a hispanic issue! I just thought it was interesting that he is highlighting the fact that his workers are from Mexico and it got me wondering if they are legal, since many in this area are not.
    It bothers me just saying it as if any other human being from any other part of the world, of any other race, somehow can't plant and harvest food. I mean it's great to point out positive things but frankly I'm tired of having it shoved down my throat as if no other group of people can handle it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast