Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Why Isn't Boeing Building the Fence?

After seeing a news item that said in effect that Boeing was dragging their feet about building the fence, I called the corporate office in Seattle. Talked to an operator who actually engaged me in conversation.

She said she was in favor of the fence and didn't know that it wasn't going forward. Standard answer. Then she said that they had gotten a lot of calls some time ago of people volunteering to help, but that had stopped and she didn't know why.

Anybody know what's going on with Boeing?

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Google "Boeing fence" and you will get 32 results

--------------------------

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/188588

Boeing reports radar, camera-coverage glitches in Mexico-Ariz. border fence
    The Associated Press
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.22.2007

WASHINGTON — Technical issues are delaying the completion of a multibillion-dollar high-tech fence intended to reduce illegal entry along the nation's southern border, the government said Thursday.
    Some lawmakers are questioning why Boeing Co., the lead contractor, and the staff at the Department of Homeland Security waited until a day after a hearing earlier this month to update Congress on the delay.

The first phase of the project involves building nine towers along 28 miles of the Arizona-Mexico border that bracket the Sasabe port of entry.
    Boeing, the world's largest aerospace company, in September won a three-year, $67 million contract to install the fence.

At the hearing on June 7, no problems or delays on so-called Project 28 were mentioned. But the next day DHS officials notified congressional staffers of a one-week lag due to radar problems, according to a letter questioning how and when Congress was informed.

The letter was sent Tuesday to DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff by House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and Rep. Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif., who heads the subcommittee that held the hearing.
    "It is unacceptable that the department chose to disclose this information via telephone to committee staff, rather than providing a thorough assessment of the project's status directly to committee members at the hearing," the letter says.
    DHS spokesman Russ Knocke said Boeing did not tell the department about the radar issues, which were identified on the day of the subcommittee hearing, until June 8 when the information was promptly passed to the committee.

DHS officials called House committee staffers Friday to inform them that Project 28 would be further delayed. In addition to the radar issue, Boeing also is working through technical glitches hampering complete camera coverage from all nine towers back to the common operating video terminals used by Customs and Border Protection agents, Knocke said.

Boeing set the original deadlines and has not provided a new target date for completion, Knocke said, adding only that "we are moving with an absolute sense of urgency."

"We continue to work toward the resolution of a few remaining technical matters on the border," said Boeing spokesman Eric Mazzacone.

A Customs and Borders Protection spokesman said no hard date had been set for completion.
    --------------------------

add:
    Good Question!
    PS Welcome to ALIPAC fifthgentx!

I work for Boeing and i know how they operate. My guess - money. They don't do work unless they have the money provided as laid out in the contracts. Once they get the money, the work gets done.

If they aren't building the fence, they haven't been paid. The way the money is divided, enough probably wasn't allocated and negotiations or something.

They are all about diversity, though (which makes you sick sometimes), so i guess you never know.

thedude,

I agree, money up front for materials then labor follows.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)