Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

YOUTH VIOLENCE IN CHICAGO

THIS STORY WAS ON CNN NEWS THIS MORNING AND AS THEY INTERVIEWED COUNTLESS NUMBERS OF GRIEVING PARENTS, I NOTICED THAT THE MAJORITY OF THEM DID NOT SPEAK ENGLISH.

THIS IS HAPPENING ALL OVER AMERICA IN BIG CITIES TODAY.

Marchers take steps against youth violence

By Mary Owen
    Tribune staff reporter

Published June 13, 2007

More than 500 people participated in a silent march through the streets of a South Side neighborhood Tuesday night to bring attention to the dozens of Chicago youths who have been victims of violence this year.

Young people carried 31 pine replicas of caskets, each topped with a black cross and flowers, through the Auburn Gresham neighborhood. The caskets, made by teenagers, represented the 31 Chicago Public Schools students who died this school year from violence.

There wasn't enough time to make a 32nd casket in memory of the latest victim, Roberto Duran, 14, who was shot and killed Monday night on the West Side.

"The kids who died were mostly from our neighborhood, and I know that that could have been me or someone from my family," said Marcus Franklin, 14, from Englewood who carried one of the caskets. "Hopefully, this will stop the violence in this neighborhood and help with gun laws."

The event was organized by members of Rev. Michael L. Pfleger's St. Sabina Church, 1210 W. 78th Pl. The activist priest has been an outspoken opponent of gang violence.

"We have to remember that these are 32 lives that are wiped out," Pfleger said. "We have to create an atmosphere where the loss of our children is not acceptable to any of us. Seeing children carrying caskets down the street will urge ... everybody from youth to adult [to] say, 'What can I do in my corner?' We hope that people will be moved. First, be outraged, and then moved to action."

Among the marchers were Mayor Richard Daley; Rev. Jesse Jackson; Rufus Williams, president of the Chicago Board of Education; City Treasurer Stephanie D. Neely; Marilyn Stewart, president of the Chicago Teachers Union; and Nation of Islam Minister Ishmael Muhammad. The leaders each talked about the need to involve the community in fighting violence and urging lawmakers to toughen gun laws.

There also were parents who lost their children to violence, including Ron Holt, whose 16-year-old son Blair Holt, a student at Julian High School, was shot and killed May 10 while riding a CTA bus on his way home.

Richard and Dorothy Dunn attended the event and held a framed picture of their foster son, Richard Chambers, 19, who was killed in April while he was walking home from the library.

"We hope this gets through to the young kids," Dorothy Dunn said. "They're destroying each other's lives."

The march ended in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park, 1200 W. 77th St.

"I can actually visualize bodies in those coffins," tearful marcher Viveca Coleman said. "It's just unbelievable."

----------

mowen@tribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... alwest-hed

Gunfire Claims Life Of 14-Year-Old West Side Boy

(CBS) CHICAGO Violence has claimed the life of another Chicago teenager, this one a 14-year-old boy who lost his life Monday night in the Little Village neighborhood.

As CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman reports, police say the shooting that killed Roberto Duran might have been gang-related. Detectives are investigating while a family mourns.

Sabador Duran has to come to terms with the fact his son, Roberto is gone.

“He's friendly, very friendly. Nice boy," Sabador Duran said. "It's hard to think now he's dead.â€

Teach Your Children Well

By Nathan Tabor on Jun 13, 07

An alarming statistic splashed across the Internet the other day - violent crime is on the rise in the U.S. for the second straight year.

The stats show that homicides increased in eight of the country’s largest cities: Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, and San Diego. As a result, the murder rate in cities with populations of more than one million jumped 6.7 percent.

The FBI’s Assistant Director, Ken Kaiser, was quoted by the Associated Press as saying, “Am I happy with the increase in violent crime? Absolutely not. I’d have to be a fool to say I was. But I would tell you I think (police) are working very hard out there.â€

[size=200][color=darkblue][b]Who Gains From Framing Gang Attacks in LA as “Ethnic Cleansingâ€

State leaders push Congress for help with gang violence

By Johanna Neuman

Los Angeles Times
    Article Launched: 06/06/2007 01:34:25 AM PDT

WASHINGTON - Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa made a plea Tuesday to federalize gang-related crimes, saying more Americans have died from gang violence in the past four years than in Iraq.

"Since 2001, more than 4,000 people have lost their lives to gang violence in California alone," Villaraigosa told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "That's more American lives than we've lost in Iraq ... more American lives than we lost on Sept. 11."

Endorsing a bill by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., that would toughen federal penalties for gang violence and provide $1 billion for prevention and intervention, Villaraigosa said, "Gang violence is a problem of national scope, and it must be confronted on a national scale."

With gang-related violence up 15 percent in Los Angeles last year, the Los Angeles City Council last month approved the mayor's gang reduction plan as part of the city's fiscal 2007-08 spending plan. But the city needs federal dollars to make the proposal a reality.

"Cities need the federal government to make an investment and play its part," said Villaraigosa.

Feinstein agreed, saying the nation is "outmanned, outgunned and in the midst of a national crisis."

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton also testified, saying the bill "recognizes what cops already know: that we can't arrest our way out of a gang crime problem."

Saying "the police alone can't own the gang problem," Bratton said, "Society

must step up to address intervention and prevention, and the ... bill is a major and essential step in the right direction."
    But Feinstein's bill, which she has trumpeted for a decade, may have a difficult time making its way through Congress. The House passed a similar version of the bill last year, but the Senate has yet to consider the idea. The Judiciary Committee's chairman, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, D-Vt., again voiced concern Tuesday about mandatory sentencing schemes and about federalizing local crimes.

In a statement, he said, "I do not believe that sweeping new federal crimes, which federalize the kind of street crime that states have traditionally addressed ... are the right way to go."

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_6072066

We can thank our lame politicians and Presidents for letting this happen. The President's words really say "welcome all, even you evil gang members that are killing my Americans in my own Country. Come one, come all you matter so much to our Communities that the American people fail to realize".

Murder, rape flat out breaking our laws.

I didn't read the really long one, YET!
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

Rejected Cornyn Amdt. No. 1184, As Modified; To establish a permanent bar for gang members, terrorists, and other criminals.

California: Boxer (D-CA), Nay Feinstein (D-CA), Nay

Feinstein is a lying hypocrite.
    <div>"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."- James Madison, The Federalist Papers No.49</div>

Quote Originally Posted by JDPA
    Rejected Cornyn Amdt. No. 1184, As Modified; To establish a permanent bar for gang members, terrorists, and other criminals.

California: Boxer (D-CA), Nay Feinstein (D-CA), Nay

Feinstein is a lying hypocrite.
    This is really what gets me. They expect us to believe that they are doing what is best for America yet they reject amendments that we really need and approve amendments that just do not make sense and are deadly to this Country. Folks, we've voted morons into office. Talk about dooped!
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/

I saw the segment on CNN this morning and thought about how the hand-wringing has already started as to how we can address a problem we've needlessly imported. This is one aspect of the out of control immigration that just enrages me.

On a related note, I just saw part of a segment on Fox re: the massive influx of Hispanics into the US. The anchor was citing a new study--the name of which I didn't catch-- that says Hispanics will be majority in the US within two decades. The two lame-brained commentators, one of them Bill Press, said it's inevitable and we might as well accept it. He didn't mention any of the consequences, such as the increase in gang members. Like all of the open borders crowd, he tried to reassure Americans that this enormous population will simply assimilate as they climb the economic ladder and, thus, their birthrate will decline just as immigrant populations before them. The only thought I had was that, yes, birthrates normally do decline over generations, but by that time we'll already be a massive welfare state, our nation in tatters. The irreversible damage will be done. It was disturbing, to say the least.