Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Last chance for input on I-69 Texas

Last chance for input on I-69
    Corridor meant to facilitate trade across continent

By Fanny S. Chirinos (Contact)
    Originally published 02:23 a.m., March 14, 2008
    Updated 02:23 a.m., March 14, 2008

People have less than a week to submit comments about the proposed 2,680-mile Interstate 69 Corridor, a Mexico-to-Canada concept discussed since 1991 and hailed as the "corridor of the future."

The Texas Department of Transportation held eight public meetings in Corpus Christi and 46 throughout the state since Feb. 4 to hear from the public and comments will be taken through Wednesday. The series of meetings ended March 4, but comments can be sent via e-mail through the project's Web site, www.KeepTexasMoving.com, or by mail.

The corridor, also known as Trans-Texas Corridor 69, is a proposed route that would facilitate trade resulting from the North American Free Trade Agreement. I-69's Texas portion includes a corridor from Texarkana to Houston, then Victoria, where it could branch out to Laredo, McAllen and/or Brownsville via State Highway 44 and U.S. highways 281 and 77. Corpus Christi-area public officials anticipate a huge economic impact from the project, depending on the routes it uses.

Many public comments received to date recommend the Department of Transportation focus on using existing highways first with new corridors as a secondary option.

An environmental impact statement is expected in late 2008. If a preferred corridor is selected, additional environmental studies will be needed to narrow the final alignment, said Frances Garza, a state transportation spokeswoman.

Contact Fanny S. Chirinos at 886-3759 or chirinosf@caller.com

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/mar/14/ ... t-on-i-69/
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

If you are in Texas, you may want to address this before it is too late
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)