Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo says he won't quit immigration fight

Thursday, 15 May 2008
    Tancredo says he won't quit immigration fight
    IVAN MORENO - THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER -- Colorado congressman Tom Tancredo has been hailed and reviled for his hard-line stance on immigration, and he doesn't plan on shying away from the issue after he retires in January.

The five-term Republican told The Associated Press he wants to keep the issue on the national stage "because the federal government is AWOL."

"I say that because I don't see a solution emanating from Congress or the White House, but it's definitely on the minds of a lot people," Tancredo said.

Tancredo said he wants to start a new policy group or join an existing one to push for immigration reform nationwide.

He said he would like to see other states replicate Arizona's policy of mandating that every employer ensure that their workers' Social Security numbers are valid.

But Tancredo said he does not expect the problem he be fixed soon.

"I am sad to say, frankly, that it's still going to be there for the foreseeable future," Tancredo said. "I would much rather go to my grandchildren's baseball games, but this is a major problem that needs addressing."

Tancredo credits himself for helping make illegal immigration "the issue du jour" in Congress. Along the way, he embroiled himself in several controversies, calling Miami a Third World country because of its growing non-English-speaking population, accusing Mexican President Felipe Calderon of meddling in U.S. affairs, and advocating a fence on the Texas border.

The mayors of Brownsville and Eagle Pass, Texas, called that a "ridiculously juvenile" idea.

Gabriela Flora of the American Friends Service Committee, which advocates for immigrant rights, said Tancredo's tenure "hasn't been pretty," but she doesn't think he was primarily responsible for making immigration a hot topic.

"Tancredo can't take full credit for this, although he would like to," said Flora, adding that "hate speech" against immigrants has grown in the last decade and anti-immigrant sentiment has become more acceptable.

Tancredo was often in the spotlight, running for president last year on an immigration-crackdown platform. He said he doesn't think he'll miss the attention.

"If I do, I can always run for president again, or I can go to CU and raise all kinds of hell," he said, referring to the University of Colorado's plans for to establish a new position for a visiting professor of conservative politics.

Tancredo joked this week he would advocate for classes like "English Only 101" and "American Assimilation."

"My job here is essentially finished," Tancredo said of his time in Congress. "So at that point and time when you feel that way, it's time to move on."

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/266625/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Tancredo can't take full credit for this, although he would like to," said Flora, adding that "hate speech" against immigrants has grown in the last decade and anti-immigrant sentiment has become more acceptable.
    Oh please! The hate speech I see most often comes from hispanic supremecist groups such as Laraza, maldef, mecha, lulac, etc.

Let's call it what it really is, hmmm? It's anti-ILLEGAL sentiment and it has no race. Quit you're hating girl, I was an immigrant and no way in Hades do I want illegal aliens here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "