Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

60 Min 2 IDs sold to illegals Working at Cargill Meatpkg

What a big suprise this is. Excellent publicity. Check out the link and watch the video. Good scene of DJ telling America to "wake up."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/ ... 8900.shtml

IDs Sold To Illegal Immigrants
    April 20, 2005

For $1,300, two 60 Minutes Wednesday staffers, posing as illegal immigrants, purchased real Social Security numbers and birth certificates in the U.S. black market.

Correspondent Bob Simon's report on this new phenomenon and the hidden camera footage of a black market transaction will be broadcast on 60 Minutes Wednesday on April 20, at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Hispanic immigrants are no longer just flocking to America's southwestern border towns, but are also settling in small towns in the heartland, like Schuyler, Neb., population 5,000. Still, to get a legitimate job with an American company, one needs documents.

60 Minutes Wednesday staffers Ignacio Garcia and Ray Bribiesca found a man known in Schuyler's Hispanic community for peddling real documents. Posing as illegal immigrants looking for work at the local Cargill meatpacking plant, Garcia and Bribiesca went undercover and found a bar owner in the nearby town of Fremont.

Garcia asked how much he would have to pay for a real Social Security card and a birth certificate. The seller told him the price was $1,300 for both documents. 60 Minutes Wednesday purchased the documents and returned them to their original owner, who is living in Puerto Rico.

Three million illegal immigrants come to American towns to work each year. Schuyler's immigrant population is significant, largely because the Cargill meatpacking plant on the edge of town employs 2,100 workers, of whom 80 percent are Hispanic.

Ivan Hernandez works at Cargill, but not under that name because he is in the U.S. illegally. "If the immigration services raided any of the meat plants in the area, I think all the plants would be left with practically no workers," says Hernandez.

John Torres, who works for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, says stopping potential terrorism has become more important than stopping poor Mexican workers from getting into America.

"Do we want to go out and arrest a kitchen worker, or do we want to go out and arrest someone who is a visa overstay, who has a HAZMAT driver's license, who might actually have access to a nuclear power plant?" asks Torres.

To get his job at Cargill, Hernandez bought a Social Security card on the black market. He tells Simon how he got his job, using the stolen Social Security number of a man in California.

"Once I have an ID, I memorize the Social Security number, the birth date on the birth certificate, and the names of the parents, and when they called me for an interview, a friend had already told me what they would ask me and I got the job," says Hernandez.

How widespread is the buying and selling of identities? One indication may be that the 60 Minutes Wednesday investigation found two different people in two different states, both using the same identity of a man in Puerto Rico.

Until 60 Minutes Wednesday found him and told him about it, he thought he was the only Ricardo Torres Camacho.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

This is rich, really rich.
    Thanx Watchman!

Wonder if any of our "elected reps" {who are on our side} would agree to doing a similar sting? Now, that would be PERFECT!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

John Torres, who works for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, says stopping potential terrorism has become more important than stopping poor Mexican workers from getting into America.
    -=============================

We know from reading the Border Patrol union web site that what the management says makes George Bush happy. That is their job in fact if they don't do illegal aliens.

Somebody needs to pin that Border Patrol Management to the wall and ask them how the HELL they know what the illegal aliens coming into the United States, or who are IN the United States, without talking to them.

It is the law... when the Border Patrol finds the illegal aliens, they must detain them, and deport them. Currently, Mr. Bush refuses to build the detention centers to house illegal aliens who are prisonors. Neat trick George.. (he could start a Jeffersonian Revolution). But if those detention centers are built.. and they don't have to be concrete.. the Border Patrol, by law, would have to stop the Illegal Aliens, have a chat with them, and then send them ALL back unless they want to hold on to the ones that are terrorists.

No detention centers. Bush skates.

I saw this segment of the program. I can't say I was shocked that it goes on because I have long known that it goes on regularly. I am really glad to see that the media is finally giving this some attention. Hopefully, they will expand the reports and show just how many other industries are involved in hiring illegal immigrants then making excuses for it.

I can't help but wonder whether or not that poor homeless guy in Puerto Rico actually sold his number or is it was stolen and how many others make their booze and drug money by foolishly surrendering their identity papers.

60 Minutes mentioned only two cases. There are literally millions.

I hope the bar owner loses everything he has because of his part in selling stolen identities.

I have knowledge of an acutal incident several years ago in Durham, NC where a group of Mexicans were hired to work, approximately 40 or them. Food service type work. They had been working for a few weeks, their immediate supervisor was even trying to learn Spanish in order to better communicate with them, when it was discovered by payroll that all of them had the same five or six social security numbers!

Not so long ago, I was talking to a guy who told me he retired from the IRS in the 1980's. At that time, the computer would kick out social security numbers if two people used the same one to file taxes. If someone's social security number was thought stolen or duplicated, the IRS would notify all parties with that number and ask someone to provide proof that they were the person who owned the number in order to try to clear up things. He said that often times people transposed numbers, wrote sloppily, etc and that it was an honest mistake. But sometimes it was because someone married a US citizen and filed a joint return with a stolen number or filed a single return with a bogus number. Sometimes the legal spouse didn't even know they had married an illegal immigrant! In cases where people couldn't or didn't bother to prove their right to the social security number, the refunds were never sent and that there was a fund of millions of dollars stacked up at that time because of it. I wonder how many dollars are stacked up now or if they just go ahead and pay out to criminals like they give the criminals all the welfare money and leave American citizens destitute.

Mmoreover, why didn't anyone persue this further back then and make an effort to deport some of these people? Perhaps if that had happened, the thought of walking across the wide open border into the United States and losing oneself in the crowds wouldn't be such an attractive lure.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)