http://www.whittierdailynews.com/opinions/ci_3401002

Defending immigration laws
By Rep. Gary G. Miller

RE columnist Ruben Navarrette's "Anti-Hispanic sentiments make for scary times" (Dec. 29): As a lead sponsor of HR 4437, the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005, I am writing to respond to the commentary by Ruben Navarrette criticizing this legislation. I wish to set the record straight about Congress' efforts to combat the illegal immigration crisis our country is facing.
I wholeheartedly agree with Navarrette that the contributions of Hispanics to the cultural and economic prosperity of our nation are valuable and significant. However, I strongly object to his characterization of Congress' efforts to increase the enforcement of our immigration laws as "anti-Hispanic" and "irrational."

What is truly illogical is the author's opposition to curbing the influx of illegal immigrants into our country. Illegal immigration has weakened our legal, educational, health and welfare system and helped to overwhelm our transportation infrastructure. Furthermore, the author seems more concerned about illegal immigrants than about hardworking Americans who are losing their jobs because of illegal immigration.

For example, the construction and manufacturing industries have had their wages undercut by the influx of illegal workers. What do we tell the carpenter, the drywaller, the framer, or the roofer who has been forced out of their profession or had their wages cut because of illegal immigration? HR 4437 is not mean-spirited; our nation's failure to protect the jobs of the American worker is mean-spirited and must not be allowed to continue.

What is irrational is a system that grants citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants are using their children to gain benefits they do not deserve. It is not punishing the children to close the loophole their illegal parents have exploited.

People who actively defy federal law by entering the country illegally should not have a right to give the gift of American citizenship to their children. Only those immigrants who have entered our country by lawful means should be given the privilege of becoming U.S. citizens.

What "doesn't make any sense" is the length of time it took for Congress to recognize that illegal immigration has reached crisis proportions. I am pleased that Congress has finally acted to protect our borders and enforce our nation's failed immigration laws. There is no question that this legislation is long overdue. Illegal immigration is spinning out of control, and we must enact a tough and unified policy to effectively curb the influx of illegal aliens entering our nation. HR 4437 is not "anti-Hispanic." Rather, it is intended to crack down on illegal immigration, not to impact Hispanic-Americans.

Those in this country legally who are abiding by our nation's laws should not fear this legislation. We are a nation of immigrants, but we are also a nation of laws. It is unfair to reward people who break our immigrations laws. If we allow some to ignore our immigration laws, it is a slap in the face to those law-abiding immigrants who patiently complied with the process. While I am pleased HR 4437 begins to address our nation's failed immigration policies, it is only a first step. As we move forward, we must reject all proposals that contain any and all forms of amnesty. Rewarding lawbreakers will only weaken any proposal aimed at strengthening the system.

In addition, there should be no new guest-worker program until we better enforce current immigration laws. History has shown that enforcement provisions are ignored and underfunded while guest-worker and amnesty provisions are always implemented. The American people need to see that the current laws against illegal immigration are being enforced before any guest-worker program can be considered.

Rep. Gary G. Miller, R-Brea, represents

the 42nd congressional district.