Dec. 14, 2011
9-Year-Old Shooting Victim's Organs Save a Life
Family Friend Says Christina Green's Organ Donation Saved a Child's Life in the East Coast
(CBS) Born on the tragic day of Sept. 11, 2001 and killed during the tragic Ariz. shootings -- another day that marked tragedy in the U.S. -- Christina Green's brief life made a large impact on the lives of many, including a child on the East Coast, who benefitted from the donation of Green's organs.

Complete Coverage: Tragedy in Tucson

The Arizona Republic reports that a friend helping the Green family said the organ donation network called on Jan. 12, telling them that Green's donation had already saved the life of a little girl in Boston.

Rev. Gerald Kicanas, Bishop of Tucson, told mourners at the 9-year-old's funeral that her organs were donated.

On Jan. 12, President Barack Obama said that it is incumbent upon the country to live up to the vision of it held by Green, who was born on Sept. 11, 2001 and aspired to be a political leader and a Major League Baseball player.

"Imagine," the president said. "Here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that someday she too might play a part in shaping her nation's future. She had been elected to her student council; she saw public service as something exciting, something hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted."

Gallery: Arizona Shooting Victims

"In Christina we see all of our children. So curious, so trusting, so energetic and full of magic," Mr. Obama said. "I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it. All of us - we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children's expectations."

"You know, I've said it before, but the bookends of her life -- she came into the world on a tragedy on 9/11, and she went out on this tragedy [Saturday] in Arizona. But everything in-between has been wonderful, and she's affected a lot of people," John Green, Christina's father, told CBS News Sunday.

According to CNN, when Green was asked if he would like to meet the the little girl who received his daughter's organ donation, he said yes.

"I'd give her a big hug," he said. "It's a blessing."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/ ... 7739.shtml