Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

In GOP address, Rubio rebuts Obama's State of the Union

Fla. Sen. Rubio popular among GOP presidential contenders

wfmz.com
    Author: By CNN Political Unit
    Updated On: Jan 28 2012 09:00:34 AM EST

WASHINGTON (CNN) -

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio on Saturday accused the president of failed leadership during the weekly Republican address as political attention turns to the lawmaker's home state leading up to its primary.

Rubio, who is popular among the GOP presidential contenders, focused on the president's State of the Union address.

"This president didn't talk about his record for one simple reason; he doesn't want you to know about it," Rubio said, referring to President Barack Obama's address to Congress Tuesday. "But you do know about it, because you feel the failure of his leadership every single day of your life."

Rubio predicted Obama would use politics of division in the upcoming election year to secure his own re-election.

"He tells Americans worried about their jobs that the way to help them is to raise their bosses' taxes, Rubio said. "He tells those who are hurting that the only way they can be better off, is for others to be worse off. He tells all of us that the only way for some of us to climb up the economic ladder is for others to be pulled down."

"This divisive rhetoric, this effort to gain political support by convincing some that they will be better off if we punish others, this stuff has never worked anywhere it's been tried," Rubio added.

Rubio's address comes as political attention turns to his home state Florida, which holds its primary Tuesday. Candidates competing for the GOP nomination have criss-crossed the state over the past week, establishing their positions on issues important to Florida voters, such as immigration, housing and the future of the U.S. space program.

Despite consistently saying he doesn't harbor any vice presidential aspirations, buzz has surrounded Rubio as a potential running mate for months. Political observers have said Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants, could help any candidate draw in Latino voters.

In his address Saturday, Rubio alluded to his upbringing, saying his success was linked to America's system of free enterprise.

"No economic system is perfect," Rubio said. "But the American free enterprise system has empowered millions of people in the past. I know, because I saw it with my own eyes. My father was a bartender. And I thank God every night that there was someone willing to risk their money to build a hotel on Miami Beach and later in Las Vegas where he could work."

Rubio has not endorsed a candidate, and his spokesman said he remained "neutral."

That hasn't stopped GOP candidates from singing his praises. At a CNN debate Thursday, candidates were asked which Hispanic politician they would consider appointing to their Cabinets. Rubio's name was the first mentioned.

"I mean I hate to throw one to Florida, but obviously your Sen. Marco Rubio is a pretty impressive guy," former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum said.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was even more effusive.

"I actually thought about Marco Rubio on a slightly more dignified and central role, than being in the Cabinet, but that's another conversation," Gingrich said.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, answering third, also commended Rubio.

"Of course, Sen. Marco Rubio is a terrific Hispanic-American," Romney said.

In GOP address, Rubio rebuts Obama's State of the Union | 69 News Election Central - Home
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Apparently, the GOP is considering Marco Rubio as their VP pick.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn