Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama cuddles with Hollywood elitists for campaign donations

I think that it is a good thing the President "evolved" just before before this event, he might not have raked in as much money from his 1% buddies.

Last updated: May 11, 2012 4:35 a.m.

Obama jokes with Clooney at star's gala fundraiser

JIM KUHNHENN | Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — George Clooney played the suave host, chef Wolfgang Puck whipped up something for dinner, and President Barack Obama and about 150 of his Hollywood set donors enjoyed a few laughs at Clooney's good humored expense.

Obama told the crowd that his famed Hope poster from the 2008 was derived from a photograph of Obama sitting next to Clooney when Obama was a U.S. senator. Clooney had been in Washington advocating on behalf of Darfur.

"This is the first time that George Clooney has ever been photo-shopped out of a picture," Obama said. "Never happened before, never happen again."

In fact, the artist who created the poster, Shepard Fairey, used another photograph of Obama but said he relied on the Obama-Clooney picture to avoid a copyright infringement case with The Associated Press. He pleaded guilty in February to criminal contempt for fabricating and destroying evidence.

In this crowd, Obama didn't even need to mention gay marriage to get a vigorous applause. "Obviously," the president said obliquely, "yesterday we made some news."

The event, held under a stretched transparent tent outside Clooney's sprawling tudor-styled canyon home, raised nearly $15 million, a record for a single fundraiser.

The guests paid $40,000 to attend, accounting for about $6 million of the evening's financial haul for Obama's campaign and the Democratic Party. The remainder came from a raffle for small dollar donors. Two winners — both women — got to take part in the dinner and, even though Clooney was the host, they brought their husbands.

Puck's dinner menu included an artichoke salad followed by roasted duckling "Peking style" with tiny buns, a duo of lamb and beef cheek with potatoes and Brussels sprouts, and sweet corn tortelloni.
    "We raised a lot of money because people love George," Obama said. "They like me; they love George."

Then seriously, he added: "He seems to occupy a constant state of grace, and uses his extraordinary talents on behalf of something truly important."

For Obama, the A-list party was not only a financial hit, it gave the president the kind of Hollywood buzz a Republican seldom gets. But the glitzy event, with its glamour and wealth, also has its risks and it set up a stark contrast with Obama's mission on Friday to highlight the plight of struggling homeowners in Nevada.

Among those at the dinner were such actors and performers as Robert Downey Jr., Barbra Streisand and her husband James Brolin, Jack Black, Salma Hayek and Tobey Maguire, who shared a table with Clooney and Clooney's girlfriend Stacey Kiebler.

Heading to Clooney's house, along the exclusive canyon roads, families gathered at dinner time to gawk, wave and cheer the presidential motorcade. Children manned a lemonade stand with a sign: "Presidents drink free."

Around the corner, a boy held up another hand-drawn piece of cardboard: "Will trade Lakers for Bulls if you stop."

And yet one more: "Our gay family says thanks Mr. President."
    Obama jokes with Clooney at star's gala fundraiser | The Journal Gazette
    Nice list of actors that I would not spend one dime to see. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Nice list of actors that I would not spend one dime to see. JMO
    Here is a very short list quoted from the article

Robert Downey Jr., Barbra Streisand and her husband James Brolin, Jack Black, Salma Hayek and Tobey Maguire, who shared a table with Clooney and Clooney's girlfriend Stacey Kiebler.

I agree

Before You Write Your $40K Check to Celebrate at George Clooney’s House…
    Posted on May 11, 2012 by Conservative Byte

You know what this is? There is gonna be a big bash, a $40,000 a plate fundraiser, at Clooney’s house tonight in Hollywood. You know what’s gonna happen? Obama’s gonna get there, and all these people are gonna see him speak, and they’re gonna applaud him, “Mr. President, guts, courage.” Nothing’s changed. In fact, Obama hasn’t even signed the nondiscrimination executive order. He hasn’t even signed it. And this is something that gay rights groups have been pushing, and he’s refused to sign it. He continues to refuse to sign it. When it comes time to put teeth to this, Obama keeps the mouth closed. He’s not moving legally, forcefully at all on this. He’s just out there talking, but he’s not moving the ball forward at all. But he’s gonna get praised, (clapping) “Man, Mr. President.” And everybody at Clooney’s house tonight is gonna really feel special and they’re gonna feel like they’re part of history and they’re gonna think something really major, of profound and crucial importance has happened, and not a thing has happened.

Not one substantive thing has happened. And Obama’s gonna soak it all in, and he’s gonna leave there. “You know what? There really isn’t anybody better than I am. There isn’t anybody more thoughtful, compassionate. I own those people.” He’s gonna walk out of there, “I had Clooney. I had every damn one of these people in the palm of my hand, and they paid $40,000 to spend a couple minutes with me.” Not one thing will have changed. Not one substantive thing will have happened. Everybody in the room will be lying to each other about all this has gone on, but that just confirms what? It’s never the substance or the results that really count. It’s the intentions.

Obama’s getting accolades for his good intentions. Praised for his good intentions. And all the people in the room, they’re gonna end the night thinking they’re better than everybody else, they care more than anybody. They have put their money behind gay marriage, when nothing’s changed and they haven’t done diddly-squat, but they’ll tell themselves otherwise.

Continue Reading on Home - Rush Limbaugh - The Rush Limbaugh Show
    Before You Write Your $40K Check to Celebrate at George Clooney's House... - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Before You Write Your $40K Check to Celebrate at George Clooney's House...
    May 10, 2012
    Listen to it Button

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: You know what this is? There is gonna be a big bash, a $40,000 a plate fundraiser, at Clooney's house tonight in Hollywood. You know what's gonna happen? Obama's gonna get there, and all these people are gonna see him speak, and they're gonna applaud him, "Mr. President, guts, courage." Nothing's changed. In fact, Obama hasn't even signed the nondiscrimination executive order. He hasn't even signed it. And this is something that gay rights groups have been pushing, and he's refused to sign it. He continues to refuse to sign it. When it comes time to put teeth to this, Obama keeps the mouth closed. He's not moving legally, forcefully at all on this. He's just out there talking, but he's not moving the ball forward at all. But he's gonna get praised, (clapping) "Man, Mr. President." And everybody at Clooney's house tonight is gonna really feel special and they're gonna feel like they're part of history and they're gonna think something really major, of profound and crucial importance has happened, and not a thing has happened.

Not one substantive thing has happened. And Obama's gonna soak it all in, and he's gonna leave there. "You know what? There really isn't anybody better than I am. There isn't anybody more thoughtful, compassionate. I own those people." He's gonna walk out of there, "I had Clooney. I had every damn one of these people in the palm of my hand, and they paid $40,000 to spend a couple minutes with me." Not one thing will have changed. Not one substantive thing will have happened. Everybody in the room will be lying to each other about all this has gone on, but that just confirms what? It's never the substance or the results that really count. It's the intentions.

Obama's getting accolades for his good intentions. Praised for his good intentions. And all the people in the room, they're gonna end the night thinking they're better than everybody else, they care more than anybody. They have put their money behind gay marriage, when nothing's changed and they haven't done diddly-squat, but they'll tell themselves otherwise.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Tonight Barack Obama will be appearing at the Hollywood home of the actor George Clooney. It's $40,000 to get in. It's a dinner. It's $40,000 a person to get in there. We have rising unemployment. We have a plummeting economy. We have national debt and individual debt piling up. Home values are plummeting. We have a health care bill on the verge of implementation that nobody wants. And Obama is hobnobbing at 40 grand a person where he will tonight be feted with accolade after accolade after accolade for all of his great, courageous hard work on gay marriage.

An issue that, so far, people in 32 states have turned down.

And we are the ones who are out of touch. You talk about out of touch, removed, distant? Here is, by the way, exactly what I was just talking about. These people are gonna get together and they're gonna pat each other on the back and tell each other they're just the cat's meow. They are fighting the good fight against discrimination and bigotry. They're making sure that decent, hardworking Americans have the same opportunities everybody else has. And they're gonna gather around and celebrate the one man who has had the courage to make it happen.

Barry Obama.

Not a thing has changed.

Obama even said that states ought to continue to decide the issue (which means he agrees with what happened in North Carolina, interestingly). But guess what? Nothing happens, no substance, nothing. And they're all gonna be patting each other on the back and feeling like they're the best people in the world and Obama is gonna walk out of there thinking he's great. His head is not gonna fit out the door. He's going to be saying, "I've got these people in the palm of my hand. They all paid 40 grand to spend some time with me, 'cause I'm the cat's meow!

"I am the best person in the world. I'm it. They know it."

They may all tell each other that what they're doing matters. They may actually tell themselves that they've moved the issue forward, when not a thing's happened and Obama has not done diddly-squat and there's not one change. And get this: "The New York Times reports: 'Norman Lear, the television producer,'" of All in the Family, "'said moments after" Obama finished his evolution and turned into a butterfly... That's the second time I've said that today. The first time was at 1:15. Moments after Obama finished his evolution and turned into a butterfly, Norman Lear turned to his wife.

They had both held back from giving money to Obama because Obama had not led the way on gay marriage. And now Norman Lear could barely contain himself, and he went for the checkbook, and he wrote two checks. Forty grand each. Maybe one check for 80. And he's gonna be at Clooney's place? Well, I don't know if he's going to Clooney's but he's donating to it. "This is the kind of leadership we support, and we are happy to max out today to his re-election campaign." Norman? Norman?

Norman listens. It's how he keeps his heart pumping, his blood pressure up.

Norman, you've gotta look further. Nothing's changed, Norman. He hasn't even signed the Nondiscrimination Executive Order. There's no change. Norman, did you know that he'd already made up his mind that this was gonna be the end of his "evolution" at least a week ago? I'm talking to a blank frame here, 'cause it's all about the intentions. At the end of the day, it's about, "I cared and you didn't. I care about ending discrimination! I care about equality and I care about fairness, and you don't. My president cares about it."

"Yeah? What has he done?"

"That doesn't matter! He cares. He's trying. That makes me feel better about myself."

"What have you done?"

"Well... Well... I support the guy's trying. At least he's trying."

"Has he done anything?"

"Well, no, but..."

"Then isn't it all kind of phony?"

"Oh, I don't want to think it's phony. That would destroy my whole life! My whole life has been phony then if this is phony."

END TRANSCRIPT

Before You Write Your $40K Check to Celebrate at George Clooney’s House… | Conservative Byte