Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Local employers say E-Verify system works

Local employers say E-Verify system works
    When checking workers for immigration status
    Andrea Zelinski

Derek Denoyer knows every employee working for People Link in Kankakee County is a U.S. citizen.

That’s because before being hired, every job applicant at the temporary staffing agency has had his or her immigration status checked by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration, said Denoyer, vice president of People Link.

Denoyer and other employers can continue to use the system, despite an Illinois law that was to take effect Jan. 1 barring employers from relying on E-Verify because Social Security information was not reliable.

The law, signed by Gov. Rod Blagojevich in August, was one of the country’s most far reaching in its challenge of the federal government’s use of Social Security records to verify immigration status.

In September, the federal government sued the state to block the law. In mid-December, the suit was paused thanks to a deal worked out between federal officials and the Illinois attorney general’s office.

The federal government currently encourages employers to send its applicants’ information through E-Verify, which verifies candidates’ legal status in three days in 92 percent of cases.

The law would have stopped employers from sending applicants’ information to the federal government until the program can verify legal status in 99 percent of cases.

The court deal means Illinois will not enforce the law for 60 days, and the government will not try to stop the law from taking effect. At the same time, the state legislature will reconsider and rework the law. According to Rep. Ruth Munson, R-Elgin, a new bill will be introduced later this month.

But no matter what happens to the law local business and community leaders don’t think the potential change will make much difference.

“Is it going to affect the ability to acquire new customers? No,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Has anyone actually used this and how exactly does it work?

What information is checked?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DITTO! just curious.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

very simple

I saw this demonstrated in Washington, DC at a House Subcommittee hearing with Zoe Lufgren. An Employer just has to subscribe for free, and then one enters the social security number into the computer software and w/i 10 seconds or so....the verification notification is done. There's currently a 95% percent accuracy rate...so the whiners who say there's too many errors are just blowing smoke. It's very easy and inexpensive to use. No special training is required. All employers should use it. No excuses.

Thanks "Legalatina" that sounds pretty easy to me, you are right it is just they can't stand anything that enforces the laws or identifies illigals or even Americans using stolen ID's.

Id say it is probably the only program in the government with 95%
    accuracy, they should be pretty damn proud.

again thanks for the input, very interesting

--------------------------RED ALERT--1/14---------------------
    NEED HELP
    TIME TO GO AFTER HILLARY "NO WOMAN IS ILLEGAL"
    Instructions and contacts infor....
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-584446.html#584446
    Help keep alipac in the fight by contributing today
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Ok, but what information is checked?

I mean does it simply tell you that it is a valid number? Does it give any other information - such as DOB, Sex, etc.

Illegals are using their kids SS#....date of birth would be great...I don't think a one year old would be working...
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie

I mean does it simply tell you that it is a valid number? Does it give any other information - such as DOB, Sex, etc.
    I believe the name of the person (legitimate one that is) with the social security number comes up. So if the name of the employee doesn't match that's a problem.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: very simple

Quote Originally Posted by legalatina
    I saw this demonstrated in Washington, DC at a House Subcommittee hearing with Zoe Lufgren. An Employer just has to subscribe for free, and then one enters the social security number into the computer software and w/i 10 seconds or so....the verification notification is done. There's currently a 95% percent accuracy rate...so the whiners who say there's too many errors are just blowing smoke. It's very easy and inexpensive to use. No special training is required. All employers should use it. No excuses.

One thing I'd like people to consider in all this discussion relates to basic statistics/sampling/definitions/etc.

Think about this for a second ...

*IF* the supposed error or 'problem' rate for E-Verify is, say about 3% (taking the mid-value from estimates of 5% down to 1%)...

and

The size of the US workforce is approx 160 million (this varies depending on it's definition, time of year, etc. - but this is just a close ball-park for argument's sake)

and

The total number of illegal persons in the US is 12 million (I know, I know) and, of those, about 7 million are somehow employed in the US.

And, here's the real point I'm trying to make here...

7,000,000 / 160,000,000 = 0.4375 (or 4.37%)

Hmmm, what if many of those people applying for jobs were themselves illegals... wouldn't that factor into the results???? (Answer: OH YEAH it would; (eg. 4.3% ~= 3.0%)...Maybe the 'errors' the system kicks back are those people that lack valid SSNs????

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie

As you can see from the information below, the govt. already has the information required of the E-Verify System. You may consider it "Big Brother" but the govt. has required this for a while. It's not a communist plot to manage workers and/or wages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION

E-Verify (formerly known as the Basic Pilot/Employment Eligibility Verification Program) is an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.

Visit: http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/programs/gc_1 ... 78150.shtm

The Social Security Administration offers a free employee verification service for employers wishing to verify the legal status of potential employees. The service verifies the social security numbers (SSN) for up to 5 employees. Call toll-free 1-800-772-6270, weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST. You will be asked for your company name and EIN. You must also provide the following information for each name/SSN you want to verify:

SSN
    last name
    first name
    middle initial (if applicable)
    date of birth
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 60,00.html - See Verifying Employee Names and Social Security Numbers (SSNs)

http://www.cis.org/articles/2006/jmvtes ... 22106.html - Verification of Employment Authorization: Federal Basic Pilot Program is an Effective and Employer-friendly Tool for Immigration Law Compliance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast