Jury finds illegal immigrant guilty of killing father, 2 sons in San Francisco traffic in 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - A jury convicted an illegal immigrant Wednesday of fatally shooting a father and two of his sons in traffic in a case that drew attention to San Francisco's controversial sanctuary policy.
Jurors found Edwin Ramos, 25, guilty of three counts of first-degree murder as well as a single count of attempted murder.
Under the sanctuary policy, Ramos had never been turned over for deportation despite previous run-ins with the law as a juvenile.
Prosecutors said Ramos opened fire on a car carrying 48-year-old Tony Bologna and his three sons — Michael, Matthew and Andrew — in June 2008.
They said Ramos was seeking revenge for the shooting of a fellow MS-13 gang member earlier in the day.
The jury reached the verdict after a week of deliberations. When it was read, Danielle Bologna, Tony's wife and the mother of their three sons, began sobbing.
Several families and friends cheered and cried openly as they heard the decision. Some wore white T-shirts that read "Finally, Justice is Served for the Bologna Family."
Andrew Bologna, the only survivor of the attack, testified during Ramos' trial, identifying him as the gunman.
Ramos maintained he was only the driver of the car and didn't know his passenger, Wilfredo Reyes, would start shooting. Reyes has not been located.
Under the sanctuary policy, illegal immigrants charged with crimes as minors were not handed over to federal immigration officials but instead flown home or housed in California at the city's expense. The city has since closed that loophole.