Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AL: Lawsuit: Undocumented immigrants denied marriage license

Lawsuit: Undocumented immigrants denied marriage license

Southern Poverty Law Center on Wednesday filed a federal lawsuit against 55 Alabama counties

By Dana Beyerle
    Montgomery Bureau Chief

Published: Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 3:30 a.m.

TUSCALOOSA | The Southern Poverty Law Center on Wednesday filed a federal lawsuit against 55 Alabama counties, including Tuscaloosa County and others in West Alabama, alleging that they have denied undocumented immigrants marriage licenses.

The Montgomery-based SPLC sued Montgomery County and named Bibb, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Marengo, Perry, Pickens, Sumter and Tuscaloosa counties among the 55 that allegedly discriminate against undocumented immigrants who want to get married.

SPLC legal director Mary Bauer said policies by some probate judges violate a fundamental and constitutional right to get married. “There’s no reason why anyone should have to produce their ‘papers’ before they say ‘I do,’ â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[quote]couple “desires to express their love for and commitment to one another by getting married and obtaining the economic, emotional, and psychological benefits of marriage.â€

Just another source of income for the SPLC. They've fleeced a fortune from us with such creativity. Remember, we pay whether they win or lose these cases because they're tried under the civil rights umbrella.
    '58 Airedale

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2
    Just another source of income for the SPLC. They've fleeced a fortune from us with such creativity. Remember, we pay whether they win or lose these cases because they're tried under the civil rights umbrella.
    Umbrella's suck in a wind storm! "Paint it Red 2012"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    A clerk in the Tuscaloosa County probate office said marriage license applicants must produce a driver’s license and Social Security card and if divorced or widowed, a divorce document or death certificate.
    = THE LAW. If AMERICANS have to produce a license and a SS card, then why shouldn't an illegal? Oh I forgot, they think the LAW shouldn't apply to them.
    THANK YOU!
    Marriage is a civil contract in addition to a religious thing. That civil contract and the license to enter into that contract is the issue. How is someone who's identity is in question in any way be legitimately allowed to do such a thing.

Oh. Well.
    Cry me a frikkin' river. (hmm... seems to be my response of the day. lol)

If you're that much in love than the trip home is worth it, if it's not a marriage of love, well... look up a couple of lines.
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.