http://www.rockymountainnews.com

Former Tancredo aide attacked on illegal immigration
By Lynn Bartels, The Rocky Mountain News
August 29, 2006

Senate candidate Matt Knoedler is accused in a new TV ad of being soft on illegal immigration, outraging supporters of the former aide to Congressman Tom Tancredo.

The ad says that Knoedler, locked in a tight state Senate race with Democrat Betty Boyd, voted against a measure billed as the toughest immigration package reform in the nation.

But legislative records show that Knoedler voted for the bill, which had the backing of Republican Gov. Bill Owens and Democratic leaders.

Knoedler said the Democratic group that paid for the ad made a big mistake when it lied about his record.

"Lakewood voters have had it with dishonesty like this," he said. "I actually think this whole this is going to end up benefiting me."

The Democratic group Clear Peak Colorado stands by its ad, noting that Knoedler voted against the original version of the bill.

But others were furious, including the governor’s office.

"It’s a lie, and I think Clear Peak knows it’s a lie," said Dan Hopkins, the governor’s spokesman.

The Colorado Republican Party called on Boyd to condemn the ad. She could not be reached for comment.

Brace yourself, voters, this is your future for the next two months.

With control of the House and the Senate at stake and illegal immigration a hotbed issue this November, Coloradans can expect to be bombarded with all sorts of claims about where candidates stand on the issue.

The ad will run about 19 times a day for the next 30 days on various cable channels, said Clear Peak spokesman John Willard.

Clear Peak is a Democratic "527," name for the section of the federal tax code that allows the political group to accept unlimited donations. Such 527s, whether Democratic or Republican, are known for their attacks on candidates in the other party.

Knoedler said the attack on his record on illegal immigration, particularly on the landmark legislation passed during a special session this summer, was outrageous.

"I had much more to do with the way that bill was finally structured than my opponent because I know enough about illegal immigration to point out the flaws in the original bill," Knoedler said.

But Clear Peak director Tim Knaus called the criticism "a total red herring."

"Of course Knoedler voted ‘yes’ after his efforts to derail it had failed," Knaus said. "He worked hard to kill any meaningful legislation and then changed his vote once it became apparent that his efforts had failed."